•  

scottm

As of this morning I am offically a refractory case

Got a call from the neurologist an hour ago to stop taking the new medication as it was sending my blood pressure into the 160's. We've now gone through the suite of tools he has and there is no pharmaceutical solution that doesn't either do nothing or has unacceptable side effects. We went through every antidepressant and anti convulsant and they either put me in a fog, screwed with my cardiovascular system or did nothing. I'm apparently in the group of people they consider essentially untreatable with medication. Neuro says call in 3-4 weeks when my system has completely flushed to discuss, 

mallard-male-swimming.adapt.945.1.jpg

Now that's a tough pill to not swallow.

Hopefully they can try something like Pam has been on where they physically change the nerve impulses.  RFA, electrode intervention etc.  There's also the harder fixes where you need to retrain the brain to understand the signals it's receiving rather than just linking everything to "pain". These take a lot longer and are extremely difficult when you have to unlearn the current responses as part of it.

No good at all Scott.

Hopefully he will find something that will work.

Refractory is also one on THOSE words.

Wishing you future success Scott. You're advice to be the "duck" has/is necessary BTW...best advice I've heard in a long while. Let us know when your Neuro tries some new avenues.

Scott,

Tell me about "being the duck"......please?

Tarina,

'Be the duck' is a phrase I have used for many years but it took on new meaning after the stroke. It means just let things roll off like rain on a ducks back. A corollary to don't sweat the things you can't change they'll still be there.

Scott, "Refractory" just means that the doc hasn't figured it out yet. If the doc can attach a name to it, then she/he looks less to blame for not finding a cure. Hope that makes sense and helps.   Becky