•  

NikalPikal

The universe must hate me

Last month I went to my gynecologist to discuss the little bit of stress incontinence that I have as most mothers do. It got worse after my stroke and I wanted to see about getting a pessary. My doc ordered a pelvic ultrasound and they found that my left ovary is twice its normal size and there is a tumor growing out of it that is the size of a normal ovary. Then my doc ordered a CA 125 cancer marker blood test and it was normal. Apparently, that doesn't mean much except that I don't have that one particular type of cancer. The only way to tell if the tumor is malignant is to biopsy it. So, now I have to see a gynecologic oncologist on January 8. This issue has put all my stroke issues on the back burner.  I can't do much in the way of physical therapy due to the pelvic pain. I didn't have much pain at all until the ultrasound. The tech had to really push with the probe to get a good view of my ovary. She said it was hiding behind a loop of intestines. This was a transvaginal ultrasound, so you can imagine how that felt. She was able to push my ovary over to where she could see it. I have had terrible pain ever since. When I see the oncologist next month, they'll schedule my surgery. I will be so glad to get this thing out of me! My gynecologist said the chances of it being malignant are small, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

Oh No! I'm sorry the Universe has handed you yet another challenge to beat back with a stick...

My sister had a similar issue quite a few years ago. The growth on her ovary was benign, and the ovary was removed with no complications.

I am confident and praying yours will be the same, and you will make a quick recovery.

I am so sorry that you/re going through this. Prayers and hugs coming your way!   Becky

Oh Nicole...

Sending you much love.

You are in my prayers for a positive outcome.

Nicole I can relate so much. BTW we are all adults I think but it's possible that this may have tmi for guys. Possible. When I had my stroke it was 2 weeks after I found out I was severely anemic from having my cycle non stop for like 3 months. Not only that we are talking about the "Katrina" of cycles. I had a hematocrit of 23 and my hemoglobin was like 7.3. Just getting up to pee was a challenge. My doctor put me on Prednisone (safer for a 40 something woman who smokes) for 2 weeks to stop my period. The day after my last pill I had the stroke...it is still on my list of possible answers even though my doctors say the chance is minute at most. Anyway, I had my stroke and started my cycle again. I was bleeding to death, literally. I ended up having 4 infusions of iron to get my labs up and to restore my iron stores. It took about 11 months for my hematologist to be absent from work and I had a female doctor fill in. She recommended that I go to my obgyn and find out why...it was still uncontrollable and I was only skating the edge of ok and anemic the whole time. I know my head was not thinking right at all but for the life of me I don't know why I didn't come to this decision way before then. I was seen and tested (pap), it came back with concerns. I had a colposcopy and endometrial biopsy which came back with simple hyperplasia with no atypical. I had a D&C and biopsied again which came back as complicated hyperplasia with atypia (pre-cancer of the uterus). I had a hysterectomy of everything except my ovaries. Biopsy again of all removed tissue and thank the good Lord it was contained. Needless to say I felt the wrath of the universe during this time. I am sending prayers up that all your testing gives you peace of mind and/or a direction to it. Hang in there.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that! I've got worries, but at least I'm not bleeding to death. I had an endometrial ablation about 3 years ago for dysfunctional uterine bleeding,  so I don't bleed at all anymore. Right now I'm just like, I've got this thing inside me cooking and we don't really know what it is and I want it out of me NOW. I'm trying to stay positive and not worry too much. Easier said than done, but I'm trying. 

I'm so sorry all of this is coming at you at once.  I have had cysts rupture on my ovaries on and off through my twenties and thirties, the pain is excruciating and folds you up like a sandwich!  I can't imagine trying to do therapy while in that kind of pain.  Praying all goes well, that they remove the growth and it is benign and you can get back to recovery from the other stroke issues.  I do remember the feeling of "I just want this thing out of me!"  Feeling like your carrying something toxic inside that has the potential for further serious harm is hard emotionally and anxiety producing, even if it turns out just fine in the end.  I wish doctors understood that and scheduled surgery sooner rather than later.

Update on the ovary issue.

On December 21 I went to the ER because the pelvic pain was unbearable. They did another ultrasound and CT scan, said the ovary wasn't twisted, and sent me home. They refused to treat my pain beyond one dose of pain medicine in my IV. I saw my family doc a few days later and he gave me enough pain med to get me through until I saw the gynecologic oncologist on January 8. To make a long story somewhat shorter, what initially looked like a solid mass was most likely a blood-filled cyst. So, almost definitely NOT cancer! They just want to do a follow up ultrasound in 3 months to keep an eye on it. That's great news. The only problem is that I'm still having a lot of pain which no one wants to treat due to all if the new prescribing laws. Thank you junkies for screwing it up for the rest of us! I have to go to the pain management clinic next week. The pain may not even be directly from my ovary; it may be adhesions.  I've had lots of problems with them in the past. The only thing that will fix my pain is surgery,  but the gynecologist is reluctant to do it yet because it's only been about 7 months since my stroke. I just feel like my whole life has been put on hold until this issue is resolved. 

Oh ouch! that's nasty. Fingers crossed the pain management people can keep you going until the doc is willing to operate.