•  

Deigh

Revitive

Four years ago when I was hit by the stroke Dragon,  I was every morning aware that my lower legs and ankles were puffy and felt heavy. This did not seem a handicap and I just ignored it. After all it was very minor in comparison with the major problems I was facing and apart from the discomfort was ignorable.

Recently my wife has been have similar problems so we decided to do something about it. We saw a TV advertisement about a product that can be used to use electrical pulses to remedy muscle problems and decided to have a look at it. Since the major shops were still in the post-Xmas mad sale mood we were able to save a large part of the price. Now we have got to get used to it! I use it for half an hour in the morning when I'm catching up with E-mail. It is a weird sensation, sending small shocks up ones legs. I've no idea whether it is doing anything to improve my circulation and well being but it is not too uncomfortable, the operator having the control of the output. 

I'll let everyone know after a month or so whether or not we are improved.

Deigh

Deigh, What you're describing sounds a lot like fluid retention, which I also have because of my lack of mobility ( being in a wheelchair all day). But it can also be an indicator of other health problems. It might be a good idea for your wife to visit her doctor and let him have a "look-see", just to be on the safe side. Becky

'

What Becky said.

All the best with it, Deigh.

Becky,  Yes, you are probably right and although I'm not wheelchair bound I'm still off my feet an awful lot more than I used to be. If I went to the doc he would prescribe pills and I've got enough of those! Valerie's doc has pinned down her situation to a minor thyroid gland problem. We have undertaken this revitive thingy because it should improve blood circulation for both of us in the leg area and compensate a bit for our less active lifestyle.

Deigh

Deigh, Great! Valerie has already been to doc about her swelling, and her's worried me a little because it sounded like a "new" thing, without any obvious cause, like decreased mobility. Your machine sounds a lot like an E-stim machine.Try using it on your fingers which have been slow to learn what to do. One of my therapists used it on the muscles around my mouth to help me with chewing and talking. Try it there to see if it helps your speech. Another used E-stim on my throat to help my talking and eating. I think you know not to use it inside your mouth-outside only, please. Therapists in US use it for a lot of different stuff, and it seems to help, or at least it seemed to help me. Let us know how it goes.   

Soon after I came to SN I posted about the swelling, and it was suggested that I elevate my feet. It works! It can be difficult to do this and do any other activity at same time, so I found out that if I just lie down for an hr or so, the swelling will usually go down because just keeping my feet and legs horizontal for a while helps.

Another option to try is compression socks. We can get them at the drugstore without a prescription. I've also seen them for sale at different places online.The ones I've seen on-line look like regular socks, and no one knows they're compression socks but the wearer.

I've never tried E-stim on my swelling.I'm interested in if it works.  Becky

Thanks for ideas. Not interested in compression sox, the legs are not really a problem to that extent. I like your idea about the mouth muscles though. Gadget comes with gloves and Valerie is using them to tackle her blue finger problems. I might try them around the chin and see what happens!

Have a great new year

Deigh

Deigh, try sleeping with your feet elevated, like on a pillow, if your ankles still get swollen.  I agree with Becky.  It's an e-stim.  Some call it a tens unit.  Be careful how you use it.  I remember I used it at a low, 3 or 4, setting for like 15 minutes/day.  You need to know which muscles to apply the pads to, too.