•  

GreenQueen

Left side / right side

I've been told by a survivor I know in town,  that it's rare to lose your dominant side.

He did, as did I.

Extremely difficult to learn everything again, and my brain now thinks that my left side is my right side.

You know when someone says it's on the right, so I look left.

Has anyone else lost their dominant side?

56 minutes ago, GreenQueen said:

I've been told by a survivor I know in town,  that it's rare to lose your dominant side.

He did, as did I.

Extremely difficult to learn everything again, and my brain now thinks that my left side is my right side.

You know when someone says it's on the right, so I look left.

Has anyone else lost their dominant side?

I did...I was left handed before stroke and now I am not sure what would be my dominant side post stroke...difficult to write with left hand due to impairments with my left arm, but can not write with right hand, I guess my right hand/arm are telling me that they took the back seat all these years and they are not about to learn to lead at this point! LOL! But it's all good as I have learned to compensate for my impairments and I get by just fine 🙂

Yes, compensation, adapting,  adjusting...all part of life.

Don't you hate it when you have to fill in medical forms and they ask if you are left or right handed?

Trick question these days!

I did too, I was right handed but had to learn how to write and do other things with my left. I now claim to be ambidextrous and will automatically offer my left hand to do things that once I normally did right handed. Learning to use toilet paper was the first problem I had to solve!

Nowadays I am gradually weaning my right had to do things again but my left hand automatically moves across to my right ear when it needs washing and drying since it is much more sensitive than my right. 

There was an amusing time when I had to hold a toothbrush with both hands, one for strength and the other for guidance. It didn't always work and frequently got toothpaste on my nose. My right eye got a bit of a bashing too!

Deigh

Definitely trial and error with the emphasis on error Deigh!

My dominant side is about 60%, (mobility), and my other side has sensory deficits. It's an interesting life!

:smile:

I am truly blessed that I maintained both sides due to my type of stroke and that it is bilateral. I do have weakness on both. The biggest issues have been getting things to move together with purpose and smoothly. A funny example would be my rhythm now. Turn on a good beat and my pre stroke self would dance and undulate away. Today turn on a good beat and you can join me in the "stroke dance"...stiff, clumsy, angular, and far from rhythmic. I've cried about it and I have belly laughed at it. 😁 That scenario is true for the majority of my movement.