Does getting a massage, on the affected side, help anything?

I've never seen anything posted about it.

I have wondered about that but with my CPS I can't imagine it being a good therapy for me. I'm interested in what others think of it however.

I'm looking up more info on lymphatic massage. One of the members of my local stroke group recommended this.

Here is one link. It is from the ASA but does have links to more information.

https://www.massagetique.com/blog/health-wellness/5-ways-massage-therapy-can-help-with-rehabilitation-after-stroke/

Massage is one of my life lines!  My neuro physio does it as well as the general range of motion work. And as I can only afford to see him once a month I get the myotherapist to do it in between visits. The myo talks to the physio regularly as well as taking guidance from me.  I don't find that the lymphatic massage helps much but the muscle release stuff and trigger point work is great for undoing spasticity and locked up muscles that have forgotten how to work together.  We also get much easier range of motion and response to other exercises by doing the massage beforehand.  My trainer also gets me to do a lot of stretching and foam roller work before and after my gym sessions.  My yoga practice also concentrates on stretch and release techniques so much more yin yoga forms than flows etc.

Tracy, thanks for the link! I'll look into it.

Heather, you wear me out just reading about all you do! My interest is growing now. Off to do more research. Thanks!

Scott, thanks for the interest!

Massage.....mmmmmmm......

Love the sound of that.

1 hour ago, GreenQueen said:

Massage.....mmmmmmm......

Love the sound of that.

:big-grin:

Janelle, actually it hurts like hell  Anyone who thinks massage is "pleasant and cuddly" hasn't every really needed it.  Just ask any athlete.

I understand that Heather. I may feel great after but during I feel every ache and knot. My therapist used to put a body heating pad on me for about 15 minutes before kneading into my muscles. 😰 Owww!! The use of the warmth loosened my muscles a bit before we started. It always hurt though. Massage is so connected to bliss...for me I can understand that afterwards.

Yes bliss is the word I couldn't find the other day (thanks Tracy), but the bliss is certainly not until after. However it IS WORTH THE PAIN, in the long term. My Physio often uses a heat pack before starting on an area to soften things enough that he won't break his fingers too. and if he doesn't have time to get as deep as he thinks it needs he'll use the needles.  He often also puts a disposable stick on heat pad on me before I leave so that I don't seize up again in the car.

I'm probably an outlier, but since my stroke I don't like being touched. The idea of massage does not sound pleasant at all to me (and sex ended many years ago, not because the plumbing doesn't work, but because the idea of being that close to somebody just doesn't appeal).

10 hours ago, dgmoore said:

I'm probably an outlier, but since my stroke I don't like being touched. The idea of massage does not sound pleasant at all to me (and sex ended many years ago, not because the plumbing doesn't work, but because the idea of being that close to somebody just doesn't appeal).

Totally understand this.