Hello from Columus Ohio ! I am new here. I had a stroke on my 52nd birthday - December 23, 2018. I am home recovering after spending a week in the hospital. I have also been doing outpatient rehab/physical therapy. I consider myself very fortunate because I don't have any seriously debilitating effects from the stroke. I do have a 100% blockage in my right carotid artery, though. 

Kris

Kris, Congrats on dodging the bullet. But tell us more about your rehab, and about plans to do anything about your clogged artery. You are welcome to come here any time you like. You can vent here, ask questions, or share your thoughts on your journey so far. Best, Becky

5 hours ago, Kriscmh said:

Hello from Columus Ohio ! I am new here. I had a stroke on my 52nd birthday - December 23, 2018. I am home recovering after spending a week in the hospital. I have also been doing outpatient rehab/physical therapy. I consider myself very fortunate because I don't have any seriously debilitating effects from the stroke. I do have a 100% blockage in my right carotid artery, though. 

Kris

Hi Kris!

I'm very happy you dodged the bullet. So did I, and I feel it was a sign to STOP with all the bad living and use the second chance as a gift. I had my stroke on November 16th, and also suffered no lasting or permanent issues. I't was a gift I am not wasting.

Welcome Kris. Glad you are doing so well already. Please feel free to ask questions, tell your story, vent, check out the forums, blogs, gallery, stroke information and facts as well as new strides in medical field. Oh there is also a survivors and caregivers chat (the schedule should be under member dropdown menus). My name is Tracy (massive bilateral cerebellar infarction 7-5-2015) and I'm very glad to meet you.

Welcome Kris to this network. It is hard to believe that you have no aftereffects from your stroke, but good luck if it is so.

Deigh

Ah, I got that wrong! Just re-read your mail and you said "no serious effects". 

Deigh

Hello again and thank you for the welcome!

To answer the qustions asked: I have been doing PT so that they can make sure tht my gait and sense of balance are OK. I initially had a slight drag with my left leg when walking, but that started to improve in the hospital and is bascially gone now. I am doing ST just so they can assess how my thinking and memory are  - so far, no issues there. And I am doing OT because I have some effect on my left hand, mostly with my grip (I drop things). That is coming along great as well. I can tie my shoe laces now! The hand is deinitely the greatest effect from the stroke, but it is something that I deal with and people don't even notice. I have been told many times that I do not look like someone who recently had a stroke. I am thankful that I am doing so well!

They decided against surgery on the blockage when I was in the hospital. One reason is that the scans show that another artery is compensating for the blocked one. I see a cardiologist soon to talk about options. I don't know how I feel about balancing the risk of surgery vs no surgery.....anyone have any thoughts/experiences?

MJS1966 - I am also viewing my stroke as a second chance / gift and motivation to chart a new ansd healthier path in life!

Hi Kris, having a missing right carotid is not a problem. Mine also healed closed after the dissection which caused my stroke, that was 8.5 years ago now. There are actually 4 feeder arteries to the brain and they go into a ring structure that actually sends the blood into the brain, so having one missing is not usually a major problem. Over time the other arteries and the ring have increased in diameter in my case, you can see it on my MRIs.

However do watch out for anything which decreases your blood volume or BP significantly. I was in hospital last year for other issues and after prolonged fasting (they couldn't decide whether to operate or not) and then a minor vessel bleeding into my stomach after a procedure I kept fainting with no warning and had major positional vertigo.  Scared everyone for a while, they thought I was/had stroked again. But it all self corrected once they let me eat and drink normally and I started to move around again. a few days in bed sends my BP way down even without the blood counts dropping.

Keep up with the therapy as long as you can.

-Heather