•  

v

My wife and I are scrabble enthusiasts. We play a game most evenings rather that watching TV. Our set is over 50 years old with wooden tokens and stands. The box has been repaired three times and the board recently swapped for an almost unused one from the local op shop. The token bag I knocked up quickly from the leg of a pair of old jeans and has also been repaired many times. It is now dangerously close to collapsing completely.

Valerie is an exceptionally good player, I am fortunate to win two games out of five from her. She is also the terror of the local scrabble clubs so I am not alone. On top of being a good player she is incredibly lucky, and has beaten me on the last eight games straight. I say lucky because three of them she started off with a seven letter word!

Yesterday was the ninth game since I'd last won and I was comfortably ahead. As we neared the end I had three tokens left and she had seven. To my horror I saw that the Z and Q had not been played and after counting the tokens on the board I could see she must have a U and an I in her hand, A triple number box was unused so with her luck she could score 66+ using the word QUIZ. I was doomed.

Then Lady Luck (rather unusually) turned against her, she could put down not even a single token and had to pass.

I was able to win using my three letters DIE.

What a relief.

Deigh

You made Scrabble sound like it's a spectator sport! LOL I just watched a little of the Superbowl, and your Scrabble game sounds like it was more exciting. Seriously.   Becky 

I'm still waiting to watch highlights of superbowl, not having Sky. Unfortunately I know the score because radio announcer blabbed it out. Darn!

Deigh

That was an enjoyable read.

Thanks Madade, I can't explain the oversized font, I wrote it using another program and used cut and paste to get onto the forum. I went back trying to correct the fault but failed. It rather looks as though I was shouting it!

We don't take it too seriously usually but in one session when I was being utterly thrashed and just couldn't draw anything but vowels I exploded in anger, played the stroke card and refused to finish the game! I had never done this before and hope to not do it ever again.

Deigh 

Sometimes Scrabble is like that.  I play a continuous series of games through the scrabble app with a friend. Thankfully neither of us takes it seriously and we both occasionally cheat and use word finder apps.  So far I have not played the stroke card, but there are times when I'm tempted. Usually when I've lost umpteen games in a row and can't find a decent move.  At least with the phone app you can put it away for 24 hours if it's getting to you.

Aha, cheating is allowed between us, we are allowed to use an electronic dictionary to sort out anagrams!

How is the heat getting to you? Got to 33 degrees in my den this after. Too hot for comfort and am using a water cooler fan to help keep it down!

Deigh

heat not too bad today wind has turned southerly, but that means we are getting the smoke haze from Tasmania. First day back at Rehab last week was 37 degrees and steamy, I'm still recovering from that.

That would be too hot for me! Our flat has mesh screen doors front and back as well as proper wooden doors. In previous years we would occasionally have both wooden doors open to allow a draught through. This year that is the normal daily set up and at this time we are even keeping them open overnight!

Deigh 

Best tactic here is to lock down the house first thing in the morning so windows and curtains shut then open up again late afternoon (once the suns off the windows). By doing that I avoid running the aircon. Although if it's been a really hot night I will run the aircon for an hour before I go to work as the cooler it starts the better the chance it will still be livable by the time I get home. I do use an ordinary electric fan by the bed overnight.  When the wind/breeze is from the North the worst thing to do here is open the windows.

Oh Deigh, never say never.  Again I'm smirking over your account of this game.  We have a niece in that part of the world.  She was at Sculptureum She had posted photos from her visit there.  Thats New Zealand I seen from another post.  

Got ice coating in our region.  Quite a mess.  

Scrabble wise or most games for that matter not good at.  I know with the speed at which wife does, word search, majong, various card games and her passion to win I'd be doomed.  

I just had a look at the  Sculptureum site, Didn't even know it existed and that is a part of the country I used to visit frequently as a campervanner.

Marvellous, thanks for introduction, will add it to my bucket list.

Deigh

Just to continue with the 'LUCK' theme, I had a short burst of winning games and was the victor for five of them before her luck struck again and shoved me off the motorway. In that last game she played four (Yes, I say again FOUR) seven letter words. That must be a world record. 

Deigh

I thought I was amazing to get 2 in a row in my current game.  I thought it was fair revenge for my opponent getting an 8 letter with the Q on 2 triple words last game. Needless to say he thrashed me on that one.

One of my closest friends and I used to play each other online after she moved.  With my word retrieval being so bad now, I've stopped. 

I do crosswords, (easy ones) puzzles, and visit the "Lumosity" site now and then.  Success with those have helped.

:smile:

We are trying hard to keep our brains active. We do the Guardian (U.K. Newspaper) crossword between us. It lasts a week and we seldom complete it. Playing scrabble is a pleasant break from watching TV. I have just started going to an Ukelele club to challenge my musical skills. I'm in my 90th year and my wife in her 80th year (Cradle snatching by me). So keeping both the body and brain working is essential.

Thanks for mail.

Deigh

I'd play scrabble if it had spell check 

I help my wife with her puzzles (as soon as she finishes one, she starts the next).  It can get frustrating for me at times (trying to remember the shape and colour of the piece that I am looking for); and no-one is allowed to help (and share the glory) near the end.  

Your heat sounds glorious; we're just had two weeks on heavy snowfalls, temperatures as low as -10. 

However, having lived in Canberra for a few years, and spent 6 months in Canungra, maybe the cold is actually preferrable. 

I have seen so many posts to this thread but have passed by it because...well scrabble is not my strongsuit and it's been a while since I have played. But curiosity got the cat. I had to poke in and read. Might I say that it was awesome lol. Deigh indeed you described your scrabble game as the World Cup or better! Who knew it could be so exciting!!! 🤷‍♀️ Seriously! I have nothing to add but to tell you I enjoyed the read. 🙂

I also think the large font added excitement lol. Not all capitals so I didn't hear yelling at all.

Tracy, thanks for comments. Yes, the games are certainly highlights of our activities. That story is not ended yet though........After that game she had a run of bad luck and I won the next game also with four seven letter words, but I went one better and finished the game with my last one!          Colossal victory!

Deigh

Wooo Hooo!! 🙌 Deigh keep us informed...living vicariously can elicit excitement!!!

Kelli, the online Scrabble app ( through facebook) I use has spell check and dictionary functions so you can look up the words you want to use before you play them.