Sign in to follow this  
DoubleD

imaging study

Had a dissection of the left carotid on 12/20/2019 my neurologist wants Me to have a ct scan after 6 weeks is that necessary and what is he looking for?

If you want to know what he's looking for ask him!

My guess would be he's looking for the state of the arteries after they've had some time to heal. Has the artery healed closed, and if not what further risk is it posing to you.  Over time he will be able to see how your body is adjusting to the change in blood flow.  My dissected carotid artery healed closed and the smaller arteries have expanded to compensate. My neuro used an MRI but a CT scan was used for my initial diagnosis.  I think which scan they use usually depends on availability and cost.

I must agree, ask your neurologist both questions is it necessary? and what is he looking for?

I too had a dissection. I think having a CAT scan is a great idea because it check to see if the artery has officially healed itself.

I’m sure that you’re on a lot of blood thinners right now and understandably so. Being on that also helps with the repairing of your artery I would continue and I would definitely go !!!!it’s important .  They had to put a stent in my artery and that was another reason to see if it healed correctly and if there were any  clots that formed