Madade

Weight Therapy

Just curious if anyone else uses weight therapy?   How often or long do you use it?  Is it limb weight or body vest?  I have been using it for 2 years.  Curious if others do this.

Mark I tried weights on my ankle to try and strengthen my leg way back in the beginning.

500 gram weight. Used to absolutely wear me out.

I freely admit I gave up on it.  It made me too tired, unable to do other things.

Funny story...when I was getting closer to the end of my PT...she said she wanted to try weight therapy with me because i have ataxia and proprioception issues. She pulled out this flimsy reflector vest (like one you would wear riding a bike...ok some people would wear riding a bike. Duck taped to it was sand weights in like 3x4 bags. On each shoulder,down the front and back. She helped me pull it on and it just kept falling down so she ? Duck taped the vest to me. Needless to say the idea is based on science but was a fail. Maybe they actually got therapy vests by now. 😂

weighted vests are pretty common equipment in the functional fitness gyms like the one I go to. The vest is adjusted with velcro and the weights are inserted into pockets. so it doesn't move around and no duct tape required!

My PT had me wearing it while doing step ups for a while. It's so nice when you take it off. But I haven't used one regularly for a long time. Although I've just had another change of trainers so it may well make another appearance.

Heather 😊 I need to send a friendly pamphlet to the therapy group i was in. That sounds pretty workable.

it they don't want to spend the money a backpack full of dumbbells works too. certainly better than what you described

Ha ha ha Tracy!!

Can you tell your physio Fred Flintstone called...he wants his weight vest back!

🤣🤣🤣

Heather, that's what we did when I was a conscript many many years ago -- backpack and webbing filled with wet sand, then off for a 5 mike run.  A really brutal way to get the us fit.

😏 At least this was a funny memory haha!

I love all the creativity with weigh therapy.  It was trial and error with the weights.  The one I found has 1 lb weights inserted.  At first was just 2 pounds.  Went up to 8 then down to 5 for the longest time.  Slowly got back to 10 pound limit.  On my bad side do not notice the weight even there.  It does do its thing though.  I've gotten unbalance muscle wise and now am using the weight on both legs to balance me out.  I really noticed the weight on my left leg.  Not realizing the weight with right it was a real head twister when my left side realized what I was subjecting it to.  

I think I am going to use the backpack suggestion this summer.  That is a problem is that I start hunching over.  The weight vest doesn't all me enough slip in weight to pull me back.  I will review the idea with my therapist  though.  

Thanks Heathber and Paul

yes lots of core exercises needed if you are going to carry a backpack properly. remember if using a pack not a body vest to adjust straps so the weight sits on your hips not your shoulders. use a framed hiking pack rather than a basic cheap pack if you can. and if you do that get your therapist or a expert to help you fit it. I have a really nice hiking day pack that  has all the adjustments of a full pack.