I use a fitness tracker and try to get 3600 steps a day is my current goal.  I have been using it attached to my ankle as I get more honest results.  I've also added weight training and stationary bike.   For weight depends on the day 30# is the max I gone, 10# is the general.  

Cycling has been a nightmare.  Got up to a mile finally with the suggestion to use my weights on my ankles to aid in keeping the foot on the pedal.  It does help.  I could bare make three pedals and I'd have to stop.  

Enough chatter better get into my routine.  

Great fitness goals Mark. Last summer I joined a gym and went every other day. I remember the first time I got on any machine (I think it was an elliptical) that lasted like 2 minutes and then I figured out how to make myself stop it and get off. 😵 Next was the treadmill which I never could do in PT but I have it a shot...5 minutes. The next time it was recumbent bike...like 8 minutes. 😳 The trainer who met with me the 1st day and came up with a schedule for my weight, age, activity level was 30 minutes at least 6 times per week alternating cardio with strength training. 😫 Yea...no! I finally did commit to coming every other day and hopefully increasing my times over time. I finally got to 20 minutes...5 warm up...10 @ correct heart rate...5 cool down. It took at least 2 months...unfortunately I had to stop going (financial). It was rough. Rough to do and rough to accept what I could do instead of what they said I should be able to do. All in all I felt good. Maybe it was the year before that 🤔. Eh it doesn't matter. Keep up the good work!!!

My old physio has a gym. It’s awesome, as the goals set were very realistic.

Unfortunately, the receptionist made me feel like a piece of crap and very unwelcome.

So no more gym.  Tracy, I get it. Ultimately everything comes down to dollars, which is why I didn’t try and find a new gym.

Post stroke people especially those of us with stroke fatigue must not compare ourselves to others of our weight/age/activity levels. comparing yourself to yourself is the only safe measure. The "normals" at my gym do a 12 week ramp up - testing - recovery cycle. we worked out long ago that I can't ramp as fast as them without triggering a hit and I need about twice as long in the recovery phase before I can start ramping again.

One of the "standard" tests they do is assault bike 50 cals for time, If I watch their leader board I just get depressed, I used to be able to do that. I'm pretty sure I could not do 50 cals in one session now. My equivalent "test" is 10 cals for time.  My record on that is now 6 minutes 9 seconds!  It's taken 3 months to get to that. When I started I could not do more than 30 seconds with both feet and both hands operating, either my foot would fall off or my left arm would lock up. But my trainer kept me doing just a few minutes each session. When I was able to keep both feet on while using only my right hand for 5 minutes he got me to increase the speed and time by little bits each session until I could do 20 cals in under 10 minutes. Then we added the left hand back in and basically started again.

You guys give me inspiration. I can stay on most things because all my limbs work. Now the treadmill...my brain could not coordinate walking on a moving surface. My feet would just stop walking and my PT would yell "walk...walk" or hit the emergency turn off button before i went down. Tangible improvement right there. 

Mark it's a great idea putting your tracker on your ankle.

YMCA is playing in my head whilst readingthis thread!!

Any exercise beats none.  Even just walking round the block, pull-ups. light weights.  Whatever limbs still work.

It's good metabolically and makes all the difference for mood.

I can't do what I did before, but I do what I can

1 hour ago, PaulNash said:

I can't do what I did before, but I do what I can

Paul this needs to be your mantra.

When you are having a bad day, remember this.

It’s awesome.

Thats a great saying to put in your signature on your profile. I think you can add it when you go to profile and edit. 👍