Do You Have A Treadmill?  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

Well I have started a home gym.  It started out from others donating equipment that wasn't being used.  Treadmill and an exercise bike dual action.  Basement flooded and the treadmill had to be replaced.   Since got onto the treadmill my therapist added weights to aid in my gait.  Also made suggestions to improve workout.

Since the treadmill, I have added weight machine, weighted vest, leg brace, yoga mat.  Its pretty crude looking gym.  It works guessing thats what matters.  

Curious to what others do.

Edited by Madade
Lost train of thought

I have a recumbent bike in my bedroom that I used everyday when I was starting out but is now seldom used.  In the hospital rehab gym I use bike, stepper, cross trainer, total gym, mini tramp, stairs. In the ordinary gym I use the assault bike, rower, ski erg, TRX, agility ladder, ...  My "ordinary" gym is a functional fitness gym so they have lots of free weight equipment such as dumbbells, kettle bells, medicine balls, dead balls, jump boxes etc. My trainers get quite creative with how we use the available equipment.

At home I have an assortment of foam rollers, massage balls, balance mat, yoga mat, yoga blocks, yoga bolster, calf stretcher angle step, resistance bands, ... Anything I have used in the rehab gym that was not too expensive or bulky to have at home.

The main thing is to be doing something regularly and if a home gym helps you then it doesn't matter how crude or unpretty it is. I get "homework" from my hospital therapist that I fit in around doing ordinary things. 

I walk every day. Sometimes one block, sometimes 45 minutes. It depends on how I feel. I have also started going to a therapy pool for people with brain injuries and spinal injuries. I am very lucky as it is in my neighborhood and my ultimate goal will be to walk the 20 minutes there and back, as well as going the exercise class. The class is a very gentle tai chi program done in the water. The water adds resistance and I am absolutely pooped out by the time I get home. 

Good luck on the walk to and from exercise class. Every year I swear I'm going to start walking to my gym sessions (at least in Summer when it's light) but so far I haven't managed it. I know I can walk there and back I do it sometimes to go the pet shop on the opposite corner, it takes about 20 mins each way.  So far walk to gym and do training and walk back has been too daunting.

I have a spa. Hot tub, maybe? Jacuzzi?

I love it. 

Not sure what it helps with.

I do like it when muscle tightening is annoying. Maybe that’s it.

I try to get as much exercise as I can; it usually lifts my mood enough to make life bearable.  Unfortunately, when I get down, I start to lose the motivation, and so downward spiral until I give myself a serious slap.

I've was told avoid impact on left side of the head. So slapping right side I don't really feel it.  

Yes will have to agree that when I get less active I too spiral down.  It seems like its a 3 week cycle.  The motivators is a small group of stroke survivors that we all try and get our daily goal.  Simply seeing their progress is enough to make me try and get out there and do more.  

I am trying stationary bike.  Last year couldn't pedal 3 times.  With leg weight  and persistence I just got up to 11 minutes and went 1.5 miles.  Right side still falls off at times.  Weird how the right side tenses up if I try anything over 10 mph.  Somehow I see that my fitness tracker add steps when I do stationary bike.  At a loss for how that works.  

Have you thought of toe-clips?  Or using a crepe bandage to tie your foot to the pedal?