ken27

Going to a new pain doctor

I am seeing a new pain  doctor this Wednesday need help with pain The change of temperature really hurts me. My left foot, ankle, shoulder , and side from shoulder to waist are on fire. 

What do you take for pain now? 

Gaba 600 5x a day and Cymbalta 40 mgs 2x  for the last 10 years. The pain has been increasing this last year  and i need more for pain 

Good luck Ken, hopefully he has some answers for you. That ice-fire is one of the worst sensations as it is sharp and biting. I tend to refer to it as a brittle sensation.

My neuro gave up and declared me refractory to treatment months ago, That description follows me now. I have an appt. with him in May, can't decide if I should bother.

10 minutes ago, ken27 said:

Gaba 600 5x a day and Cymbalta 40 mgs 2x  for the last 10 years. The pain has been increasing this last year  and i need more for pain 

Wow, 300 of Gaba and I was too messed up to function, sedation effect. Cymbalta had a minimal effect at 60 but at 60x2 it left me in a mental haze  but still in high levels of pain.

Good luck,Ken. Maybe this new doc can help you. I'll be praying for you. Becky

I am on 2 oxys...oxymorphpne,oxycodone and lyrica 200 mg 3x day,every 8 hrs...i need spinalRFA,drugs not help.

Never give up,there is help out there.

All the best with the new doctor, Ken. 

Scott, I don't know if I'd bother either.

All the effort of getting to the doctor to be told that he can't help...

Went to dr was prescribed Nucynta 50mgs 3x a day .

Went to pharmacy to pick up script and found out my insurance would not cover the cost. I have medicare and medicaid. Found out Medicare covers Nucynta 46% of the time. How they decided on who gets cover,  I have no Idea. Went back to doctor and prescribed 7.5 hydrocodones they don't help much in alot of pain 

I hate that Ken. I do believe Medicare Part D has many different plans and many different rules. There may be a special request from your Doctor to the Insurance and sometimes it us approved but sometimes not. Talk to your pharmacist about why it was declined and you can relay this to your Doctor. It may help. Good luck. 

They tried that with me, doctor had to get it pre-approved by the insurance company else it was $$$$.  Caused me to have tachacardia and my cardiologist made me stop and I got stuck on a cardiac monitor for 30 days.

Scott, I'm sorry that happened. What's the big deal with this pain med? Ins pays for other pain meds, or does it?   I mean without hassle. Becky

Here in America insurance has become very very strict how they do pain medication. It's due to "America's war on drugs". Stiff rules apply and jumping through hoops is common even when needed. This medicine is considered a narcotic (just a different type than opiods) and is similar to a medicine for pain called Ultram or Tramadol. These 2 (same med) are considered a different class on the drug scale and their rules for use are not as strict but this other medicine is like the big daddy of that class and has more restrictions. Also, Medicare Part D (drugs) as well as other insurances each have their own formulary (a list of approved medications and their prior authorizations, rules, etc.) and newer really expensive medications may not make the particular list because of that. There are possibilities of getting approved by again having a doctor jump through hoops too but never guaranteed. It's weird Medicare is Medicare is Medicare but Part D is separate from Medicare only. It has its own co-pay, rules and you have multiple choices (like I have 24 different plans in my area). Each one is separate from the other. They have their own formulary, rules, qualifications, etc. Only one plan had all my meds on their formulary. Thankfully I qualify for extra help and I pay minimum but they are all different prices. It's very confusing... we honestly have classes and people trained to help the average Joe pick the best plan for their circumstances. 🙄 Ridiculous!! There are also step programs different to each. Which means before they might pay anything for drug A you have to try drug B, C or D first and qualify according to any and all rules applied to the drug. Makes my head hurt. 

Oh Becky lol you are here in America. Well I know it confuses me so maybe it's confusing for a lot of people. 

Ken talk with your Doctor he may know what is necessary for this med to be approved. He may know the hoops to jump through. The Dr is who can get it approved sometimes. 

I think it doesn't really matter where you are these days. Pain meds especially prescription ones are one of the most "abused" drugs available and there have been crack downs on pain meds here too. Things like codeine that used to be available just by going to the pharmacy are now only available on prescription.  Even in hospitals they are cracking down now so the doctors have to jump through hoops to get them prescribed, and trying to get nurses to give them to you on a timed schedule rather than waiting until you are in pain is next to impossible, even though the evidence shows that their ability to relieve pain once its present are limited so you are much better off not allowing it to "wear off".

Thank-you, Tracy.  I'm not on any pain meds,  so I didn't know. I knew we lived where they're tough on drugs, but the problems I've had in the past forgetting pain killers for legitimate pain have always come from the doctor himself. They treat you like a criminal just for asking. I  assumed that ins cos. were OK with pain meds once you had a script. I guess not. I've had probs with ins. cos, about important things, but my God, what do they not complain about?     Becky

Becky you are right. I have only needed pain meds specifically when I have a spine flare. Degenerative Disk Disease and still have new bulging leaking discs and some stenosis. I have had to get pain relief a few times over the years but I try to bear it cause I am made to feel so horrible. 😐 Don't you know it! Insurances have become super crazy. Before I had Medicare start right after I won disability, I had Medicaid. Every prescription has a prior authorization rule if not 5 other rules. Each has to be completed by the Dr. I feel for them as well. Medicare seems to be more reasonable even though there are a lot of rules. Trust me I am all for drug addiction control. It just hurts everyone... Some people medically need pain control. Not sure what the answer is I just know that treating all pain patients as addicts in my opinion is wrong. Everyone has their negative thoughts. Stigma. 

Heather very true. I know how addiction affects the family and everything around it. My step sister was addicted to Meth for years. She lost everything, her children, her family, her freedom, her sanity, her life. Her brother passed many years before of the same fate. My stepmoms ex husband's 2 children... A lot of deep history. I knew both of them when I was a child and they were teens. My stepmom raised them because their mother was mentally ill and abandoned them. She had no biological children. She loved them. They were her children. This has been a travesty in my family. It touches all of us in some way. I still don't pool all in the same pond. It really is a brutal place the world finds itself in. 

Nucynta  was the closest I got to anything related to a painkiller, everything else has either been a tricyclic antidepressant or anticonvulsant. Those all either had side effects that made cognitive deficits much worse or no effect. In the end I had to choose between pain or severe cognitive deficit. So I can sit and stare at the TV in a fog all day or function in a state where pain is my companion.  We all know what the fog is like...

Scott

I am so sorry for you, wish I had an idea but i'm just a stupid electrician and can only help you with a light not working    

I personally don't understand why more stroke survivors don't turn to drinking or drugs because what we live thru is hell and most people don't have the a clue, hell a lot of the Dr's don't   

I'm not telling you to start but that's what kids do now a days to deal with little hick ups in life and not understanding that's life.

Hope you find something.

Ed  

Went to dr was prescribed Nucynta 50mgs 3x a day .

Went to pharmacy to pick up script and found out my insurance would not cover the cost. I have medicare and medicaid. Found out Medicare covers Nucynta 46% of the time. How they decided on who gets cover,  I have no Idea. Went back to doctor and prescribed 7.5 hydrocodones they don't help much in alot of pain 

My medication was approved,  I have been calling my insurance company,  spent 4 hours on the  phone on Friday. My pharmacy called me  yesterday to let me know that my 90 Nucynta 50 mgs were approved. Today is my first day without pain,  ok a little pain, in 10 years. My foot is  fine my hand hurts alittle but this is great. Thank you everyone for you advise.

Good to hear Ken!

Good news all around, Ken. Fingers and toes crossed that you've found that elusive SOLUTION! Becky