mum2two

Hello everyone, I’m new to this site.

Hi I’m Ann and I had a lacuna infarct in February 2018.

It’s been a difficult year adjusting to how I am now and I’ve found it extremely frustrating. I have short term memory loss as a result of the stoke although I do feel I am slowly improving, well on some days I do and on other days I find it terribly frustrating. I’d be interested to hear others stroke journeys  especially if you have similar symptoms to me.

Hello Ann, and welcome.

There are definitely people here with memory issues. You are not alone.

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you.

My memory has slowly improved over the last few years, I do still get the effect of sometimes the 3rd time I watch a movie is the first. LOL

Hi Anne, Glad to see you here. Told you it would be OK!

Memory loss not one of my problems but how can I tell? I am now in my fourth year and have overcome many handicaps. Now my biggest problem is speech. This is making me avoid phone conversations.

Deigh

Hi Anne, and welcome.  I also have major memory issues.  After 3 years they have improved a bit (not much); I have developed a pile of coping strategies, like carrying  notebook with me (and trying to remember to look in it :-)), asking people to remind me later (or to send me an email reminder).  I use my phone's "reminders" a lot.

One of the biggest changes, though, has been as family and friends get used to the memory issues and stop getting upset or offended.

Frustration is the name of the game.  I try to remind myself (and my family, at times) that the effects of the stroke do not impact my worth as a human, that I did not have the stroke on purpose, that the deficits are not my fault, and that any improvement IS due to my hard work.  The shift in mindset has taken a long time, and has in many ways been more worthwhile than the cognitive improvements, although both are important.

You don't say anything about physical impacts.  Apart from family support, probably the biggest help that I have had is exercise.  I was a long-distance runner, and find that running helps me to unwind, recharge, sleep well, and improves my mood more than anything else.

Good luck on the journey through this new world.  And PLEASE ask for help if you need it.

Welcome Ann, I, too, have memory problems but with repetition  things become easier. I carry my phone, to make notes, or a not pad and write everything down . Be sure to wtite why you were writing that note.. I've made notes and forgot why hahaha

I am not unlike you and the others who have already said hi and welcome. 🙂 I agree with all of them and I so get what you shared with us. Coping mechanisms... That is a huge thing. Oh my goodness I know we have All felt your frustration regardless our deficits. Surviving a stroke and going through the maze afterwards is exactly that... Frustrating! My memory is still an issue for me... My best friends are my planner, my phone alarms, my mom who generously gives me reminders and pen and paper. Best advice I can offer would be try to keep all your notes, memories, important dates and times... All together. I was queen of sticky notes at first but I could never remember where i placed said thought. They were all over the place lol it was not helpful for me anyway. Deigh is right this is a great group, accepting and full of support. I look forward to getting to know you more. 🙂 Deigh and your bragging "memory loss not one of my problems" 🙄. OK only teasing Deigh 😝 you know I love you! Ann it's my pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you came in to join us. I take it you know our friend Deigh. 

Hi, Ann. Welcome! I don't have memory issues either but I did want to welcome you to our little corner of cyberspace. We have a lot here that may interest you. We have chats, blogging, a library, the forums (where you are right now). Just click around the site, and you will find these and other features that you might find interesting.        Becky

1 hour ago, HostTracy said:

I a 🙂 Deigh and your bragging "memory loss not one of my problems" 🙄 . OK only teasing Deigh 😝 you know I love you! Ann it's my pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you came in to join us. I take it you know our friend Deigh. 

Yes, that was a rather stupid brag, when I rethink how in the early days I'd forget everything! Now, routine doing of jobs has taken over and although I do forget occasionally it is not the  problem it was.

Thanks for reminding me, we all know each other rather well in this forum!

Deigh

Deigh it was just me trying to be funny lol. I think you are right so many of us have the memory bug especially at the beginning. I am so glad yours is so much better! That's a great thing! ❤️

Thank you everyone for you warm welcome, it’s good to talk to others who totally understand what is happening to us. 

Tracey - you brought back so many memories when you wrote about the post it notes, I had so many scattered around the house in the early days. Now I am thinking a bit clearer I have a book I write in. 

Thanks also to Deigh for pointing me in this direction. 

I look forward to getting to know you all as we travel this unexpected road we all find ourselves on.

Ann.

Ann you are most welcome! Lol for a while I had stock in post it notes. I'm glad you are finding some things that work for you. Please talk here anytime we will keep you company. 🙂

Ann, One of the most important things about this site is the 'Following' box which is at the top right at the beginning of the conversation. Tick it and you will get an email notification of any replies. I was a long time finding this out and missed a lot of replies!

Deigh

Thanks for that Deigh, I must admit I’m finding the site a bit tricky to navigate at the moment but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

Hi Ann welcome, I am glad you found us. A daily routine will help you with your memory. Try not to get frustrated if you forget something. I am 10 plus years survivor and I still forget were I put my glasses and other things. The more you go over this site the more comfortable you will be with it.

Again Welcome, 

Ken