That doesn't sound too pretty!!

My hand is in a fist more often than not. 

I've been getting clonus in my hand lately.  Very frustrating. 

Trouble is, because my hand is a fist and my arm so tense, my shoulder quite often feels like it's been ripped out of it's socket.

Very frustrating.  And painful. 

Wow Janelle again I can only imagine. I have a strange posturing type thing that happens to my left hand, wrist, and fingers when i am under a lot of stress. It like bends in toward my inner arm and my fingers sort of curl up towards my thumb which sits across my palm. It will go away and sometimes I am not aware it's happening and sometimes I do. I also have a tremor in my right hand when I have a lot of stress. Thankfully, I know once I am calmer it will stop or I can stop it. Frustrating but in a different way. I have heard many say the very same as you and that it is painful. My friend has similar issue and he is about to get botox injections. He has tried everything with little change. I hope you can come across some therapies that may help. 🙏

JANELLE, TRY PUTTING YOUR ARM IN A SLING (LIKE FOR A BROKEN ARM) WHEN IT HURTS.

I wish I could give you an idea but I'm afraid I can't. Becky that sounds very doable. Janelle let's us know if you try it. 🙂

I have some clonus in my right hand, annoying when it decides to check in. Mine usually does so when I'm in bed and I get my hand in just the right spot to trigger it. Usually with pressure on the tips of my ring and little finger, but no pain from it. Just that annoying shake.

Becky the sling is a very good idea. I've got one somewhere...

Tracy I think you need to talk to someone about your hand/arm issues.

It sounds exactly how mine started.

It has been quite a few years now, though.

I would hate for it to get worse.

Scott, mine mainly appears at nighttime as well.

Makes me wonder if fatigue has anything to do with it.

Janelle I will talk to my Dr. I'm going tomorrow to my PCP to try and get better from being sick. Ugh! I have had both hand issues since I had the stroke. I used to try to tell my Neurologist about it. I didn't speak or communicate so well and I would end up crying. 🙄 I would say "My fingers, my hand it does this thing. I don't know it curls when I'm really stressed. It looks like I'm retarded." then the crying would begin. Imagine me saying that slurring, stuttering, stopping, starting, not only saying a politically incorrect word (no filter) but feeling that way. My Neurologist would always just coddle me "oh you are OK, don't be sad, it will be OK". She meant well and she was talking to me like a 5 year old... I was like a 5 year old. Anyway she never got it so I stopped telling her. The intention tremor is a side effect of cerebellar stroke. My PT was very aware of it because it would happen a lot in therapy. To me it feels like a tic almost. Like when I am stressed or something happens that is too much for me... My tongue does this rolly thing too... As this happens my perceived age regressed. I feel dumb (I know that is harsh)... I've always thought of it as a type of psychological tic or posturing. 😣 This stuff is embarrassing. 

i wear a splint or brace every night, it keeps my hand open and more relaxed most of the next day, then I use estim to work on the opening.I bought a healthmate from Amazon, inexpensive and works well.

I go through periods of wearing the night splint. It's extremely uncomfortable and I'm not convinced that it makes any real difference.

Tracy, speaking of being 5; my mum called me a Good Girl the other day.

Okey dokey then...

Heather in the back of my mind I'm sure I've been told that it's not finger muscles that are the trouble but muscles in the lower arm.

If that's true, then no. A splint won't work. Probably why I'm hesitant to get one.

Hi Janelle yes the muscles that control your fingers are in your lower arm. The theory of the splint is that it holds the fingers in a fixed position which allows those muscles to relax.  A lot of spasticity, and clonus is just a particular form of spacticity where the muscles go into a rapid reflexive clench release cycle, is triggered by associated movement. So my hand and arm gets tight when I use my leg muscles because the signals bleed and overfire from one area of the brain to another. When I can relax the rest of me the arm relaxes, also by stretching and holding a stretch the nerve calms down and the reflex is quieted somewhat, again this is why a splint can help.  But when I'm asleep the rest of me is relaxed and I don't need the splint 🙂, hence my doubt about how much it helps. especially as it's hard and digs into other parts of me or stops me wriggling and wakes me up.

I had dry needling done which helped.Also try this, hold your goof hand up in front of your face thumb up. Look at your thumb then slowly turn your head to the weak side, holding your gaze on the thumb. Do this 5 to 10 times and see if your hand loosens some.

Alan that sounds crazy enough that it would work! I'll give it a try some time when my hand is particularly bad.

There is a nerve that runs through your shoulder that that movement would stimulate so it's not completely crazy.

Alan, thanks for that.  Yes I will give it a go.

I love needling. Think it's a wonderful treatment. 

Heather isn't it funny, the crazy ideas seem to be the most useful.