I have read in the past somewhere that you shouldn't watch TV or even listen to radio before going to bed. I've never really taken much notice of the fact but recently have had a change of habit that has worked well for me. A few weeks ago there was nothing worth watching on TV so I read from my current book for half an hour and had a much more restful sleep than I usually get. Since then this has become a regular habit with rewarding results. It may be that my choice of book has something to do with it! Recently my wife and I have found Bill Bryson as an author and we can't drag ourselves away from his writings.

We are staggered that we had never heard of him before, we are fairly well read and it seems that all our friends as well as our family have consumed his stuff and not told us about him. Just in case you don't know he was born American but became a naturalised Briton and that is a very rare occurrence! He is erudite, knowledged, learned, and has become compulsive reading for us.

Deigh

:smile:

Deigh that is awesome! You did find the jackpot...reading is a wonderful way to prepare the brain and body for sleep. One thing I do know is that electronic devices emit what is called blue light. It is a spectrum of light that disrupts the sleep cycle and has been proven to interfere with sleep. This has become quite a phenomenon since everyone in the world's seems to live on their pc, phone, tablet or even electronic book device. Children are getting less and less sleep which shows up in many ways. I am just as guilty...I don't like to be in complete silence my brain will not hush. I can't read a book well but I have found audible (Amazon feature). I have started a subscription that I can cancel at any time. It is like $14-15/month. I get 1 credit for any book on audible (includes current best seller books) and 2 credits for audible originals (they are books published/exclusive to audible). These all can be full long books and I have loved them all. You can also give the book back for a credit if you do not like it for whatever reason. Then you just go back and find a new best seller or whatever you want to replace it. Easy peasy. Oh and I didn't say that it is an audio book program. I do really much better listening than reading. I have listened to some really great books. I don't follow the no radio rule kinda...i listen to an audible book every night. I can put a timer on for it to automatically turn off after so long. I always set it for 60 minutes and usually fall asleep before that but you can go backwards in the chapter area and easily find where you last remember. It also stays reading as my phone goes black (goes to sleep) and I download my books onto my micro SD card as well as the app. So I don't have to be online to use it. Haha I deserve a free selection...if only they knew I basically just ran a commercial for them. 😂

i read a kindle and have read 45 books this year. its great and convenient too.The light does not effect me and it adjustable for brightness  and font size/Amazon has lots of books on sale for cheap too.

12 hours ago, alansd said:

i read a kindle and have read 45 books this year. its great and convenient too.The light does not effect me and it adjustable for brightness  and font size/Amazon has lots of books on sale for cheap too.

I use kobo but it was getting expensive. I now get eooks through my local library, all cane be done from home and you have 30 days to read, just finished Mrs Obama autobiography 

I use a kobo ereader with a "paperwhite" e-ink screen. very little blue light so good for bed time reading. I also use audio books. My local library has subscriptions to multiple services that I can access through my phone, and once you download via wi fi no data connection needed. I've also just joined an audiobook club at my library.  Like Banjo I borrow ebooks from my library rather than buying them (although I do buy them occasionally as one of my indulgences).  It is a bit more fiddly to get library books onto the reader but it's worth the effort to save the cost of buying.

If I do an old fashioned paper book it takes so much energy/effort to keep the book open and turn pages without losing my place that I only do it in my lounge chair not in bed any more. but the ebook can be done anywhere.

I'm still a big fan of reading off dead trees, but I agree about the bulky and cumbersome part.  Worst of it is that the cognitive neurologist might be right; I have a great deal of difficulty concentrating on long-form text (novels and the like).  Even short stories can be quite exhausting.

So I've started re-reading old favourites.  My memory is broken enough that they seem fresh, but there is enough memory left that I can follow the plot easily (if that makes sense).  I've read a bunch of JD Salinger recently; his post-war PTSD/depression ("shell shock" in those days) resonates; "To Esme with Love and Squalor" seems to get to me in a way that little else can.

Paul that is probably a really great way to flex your brain connections! I do read and look at magazines but admit I find it so hard cognitively to try and read a paper book which makes me a bit sad. I miss it. I can't seem to get past the first page, re-read, re-read, re-read... I just can't make it stick. Audio books have truly helped me to enjoy books again. I guess I use a different area of the brain to remember what I hear rather than read. It works though! 🙌

My family have been bookaholics for generations. So I admit to a taste for dead trees too. especially when there's is such a collection readily available.  I do hope it gets easier for you with practice Paul.  I've always been a re-reader. There is something comforting about refreshing a known story. This is one reason I've never worried about buying books. They also get passed around the family, although with particular favourites we often end up with multiple copies. and these days with multiple formats too. We've just started reorganising/cataloging and combining libraries into the library at the family shared house. We suddenly have heaps of space as Mum just donated her academic collection to the university. It's a huge job and will take a long time to get it finished, but it's also sort of fun to see what everyone else has and what Mum has from our grandparents etc.

My biggest regret is that we have moved so many times (to different apartments/houses, different towns, different continents) and have had to shed huge numbers of books at each move.  And a lot of them are not available at any library (old, junky novels) and cost a fortune on Abe Books (because everyone threw away their copies years ago).  I find a lot of comfort in re-reading the books of my youth (which was a long, long time ago).

At least we kept some of the children's classic for our kids (who are far too old for them now); which I re-read from time to time with pleasure.

I guess I'll have to start a little slush fund to buy up overpriced copies of crappy novels and thrillers from the '50s and '60s.

FWIW, if you like fantasy and characters with a droll sense of humor I can recommend the Belgariad and Malloreon trilogies. These are by David and Leigh Eddings and both the wife and I have read them more than once. They move right along and once you start they have you. I used to read nonstop, now a lot less and not for extended periods because my eyes aren't still, they bounce.

My wife likes to  hang on to books. I like to read and pass on. The only books I keep are some classic Velikovsky and guitar reference books, to which I refer frequently. I have a marvelous large paperbook called 'The  History of the Guitar in Jazz ', I have now read it through three times. The main reason I keep it is to practice my daily reading out loud exercise. It is full of tongue twisting names. Since I have read it all before I am not carried away to read it silently.

Deigh

Scott, thanks for the recommendation.  Our library has a pile of their books, I've placed holds on three that I picked at random (none in our local branch, unfortunately).

I also used to read non-stop.  Now it depends on when I read.  At bedtime, I can usually make between one and three pages (if I get that far) instead of half a book.  During the day I can read somewhat more (maybe even a chapter if I'm well rested and take it a bit at a time).

And when I pick them back up I usually have to backtrack because I can't remember the plot.  As I said somewhere, it makes old favourites new and fresh :-). 

I'm trying to make a list of positives about my stroke:

I waste less time sleeping

I can re-read books without plot spoilers

I can get in a tiring run in much less time

I can block out irritating visual distractions by putting them into my blind area

I have an excuse to leave my in-laws' dinner parties early

I have an excuse to hold *very* short conversations with people I don't like.

I know when I am tired (various limbs start to misbehave)

Paul that is a fantabulous idea!!! I'm gonna do that in my journal! 

I worked in a library...so yes, a great bok lover. 

I download books onto my iPad mini from an online shop called Booktopia.

I read with a black screen and white words.

Deigh I'm going to try reading instead of netflixing before bed. Fingers crossed it helps!

I just had two nights of about 10 hours' sleep!  I had a singles vaccine two days ago, and it knocked me out.  Almost fell asleep over supper the first night after the shot, went to bed around 8, Linda woke me when she came to bed much later so that we could strip and remake the bed (I sweated gallons), woke up around 6 the next morning (a first for me since the stroke; I'm usually up and about before 5).  Last night I went to bed even earlier, got about 10 hours of sleep.  No sweating this time, just a tender shoulder.

Still feel a bit groggy, but *far* more wide-awake than normal.  I had forgotten what it feels like to have a solid night's sleep.  Maybe I need to get a booster shot regularly, like every week 🙂

Haha Paul I go through moments of feeling similar. You know something I do different and then that night sleep is wonderful! Some things still do help though occasionally don't. Others never helped again. 🤷‍♀️ Eh I bet I would not be saying maybe I need a booster shot regularly 💉... Just call me chicken lol. 🐔

I'm not frightened of shots -- when I was a kid I was massively allergic to almost everything (pollens, grasseed, dust, you name it, I was allergic to it).  So or family doc gave me a shot of a de-sensitising vaccine (basically a diluted version of everything that I was allergic to) twice a week.  They did not seem to have any impact on my alergies, but did make my arm swell up enough that it was almost impossible to put on my shirt.  And they hurt like hell.

As a result, I can tolerate having almost anything injected into me, in almost any volume, without flinching.

So a vaccine shot once a month, so that I can get a couple of decent nights' sleep would be fine 🙂

Alas!  All good things come to an end.  I was up again around 5:00 this morning, tired, mids racing, unable to get back to sleep.  Sigh.

Maybe I need shingles-vaccine shots every two or three days :-).

On 5/4/2019 at 11:17 PM, PaulNash said:

Maybe I need to get a booster shot regularly, like every week 🙂

Wow, that must have a great dose, to have your shoulder sore too! I think they must have made a mistake and given you a shot meant for a bull or something!

Deigh

:yikes:

Sigh.  Two really solid nights' sleep, then it wore off.  Back to waking in the small hours, feeling tired and worn out and miserable.  Sigh 

At least I have a booster shot in a couple of weeks' time.

Meanwhile, it's back to the drawing board ...

Paul,   For many years I have been a poor sleeper, I usually drop off instantly but would wake in the early hours and be unable to return to zizz. One of the tricks I tried to make it tolerable was to write a book in my head. One chapter at a time I would go over and over till  I got it right and then if I got too restless, rise and commit it to the computer. This way I wrote a science fiction book which is now on Kindle. I would put my heroes in a tricky situation and spend time trying to extricate them.  I would usually drop off to sleep without realising it. It took ten years to complete the book, but I was in no hurry, it was purely an exercise.

I am now writing another one using the same technique. At this very moment I've got bored with it and am not having too many bad nights so have shelved it for a while.

Deigh

That is so great.  What is the title; I'll have to get  copy.  Don't have a Kindle, but I'm sure that there is a app for that.

The book is called "POOTI". It is science fiction, my favourite subject, I think I've read every sci-fi book n the market!  My latest is called "INCRIS, (The incredible island) I've got my heroes into a difficult situation and until I solve it I'm a bit stuck. This book is an adventure story so I can't use scientific gobbledygook to solve the problems. I'm trying to get away from sci-fi because it is not as popular as blood and thunder and I'm not keen on writing murder stories. It would be nice to write something that made money too!

Deigh