Hello, I am new to this site and today marks three weeks from my first stroke. It has been a rough last few weeks as there are a million different emotions that are going through me. I am having to deal with a new reality and make adjustments in my life. I hope that I can meet others that have been were I am and can give some guidance. 

Hi. Welcome Jim..Almost 5 years coming up.  Lots of questions I'm sure, as did I have.  Still asking many. 

Hi Jim, nice to meet you although I would rather this wasn't happening to you. But you can't undo so you move forward. Yes the first few months are full of questions and the emotional roller coaster can be overwhelming. Congratulations on reaching out for help.  Unfortunately this is a marathon you've just embarked on with no preparation so it will be tough sometimes.   Don't beat yourself up, ask all the questions you need/want and if you just want to get on here and scream occasionally know that we've all been there and "get it" and will offer advice to the point where you wish we would all just shut up. But that's the joy of forums like this you can ignore us any time you want to and we'll still be here when you need us.

-Heather

Hi Heather, It has been an emotional last three weeks and days like today were my concentration is shot makes it that much more difficult. I have a feeling I will be asking a lot of questions and reaching out for advice to help deal with this new element in my life. 

Jim

The best advice I can give at this point is sleep and rest! Don't try to overdo it. You would not go for a run with a broken leg. Right now your brain is injured and will take several months just for the physical healing. When your concentration is shot your brain is trying to tell you something, learn to listen to it. Your brain gets it best recovery when it doesn't need to do anything other than the minimum required to keep the body going so sleep when you can. Yes you need to push limits sometimes but be realistic too. There is a time and a place for "Stubborn"

Heather

Jim

Welcome and all I can say is ask questions and read and when you think you have the answer read some more, its is hard but hope this makes it a little easier. Its a long strange journey,and take is slowly.

Ed

Hi, Jim. Welcome aboard! You are about to embark on the longest, hardest journey of your life. Just remember that we'll always be here for you to help you any way that we can. Remember, too, that many of us have been where you are now. We know that there will be times when you just want to quit. But, please don't do that. Come here, and let us try to help you.   Becky

Jim, Welcome to the club that no one really wants to join! You have found the site a lot earlier than I did in my recovery journey. The first few months left me very confused and unsure at what had hit me. This site gave me the opportunity to discuss my problems with people who had faced them themselves and were  prepared to offer solutions. 

Deigh

Hi Jim. Welcome to this site. You’re right there are a lot of emotions that you are going through. This is very normal, rest assure. Remember, you’re not alone in this fight 

Hello Jim,

My husband is 15 months out from his stroke and continues to make progress consistently.  He is very determined and recovering from his stroke is still hard work, but well worth the effort.  Glad to see you are reaching out for support.

Hi Jim I know we have introduced ourselves before (in forum or chat I can't remember). I very much relate the intense emotions. Keep your chin up and keep us informed. We are your cheering squad! 📣