Everyday should be Memorial Day, as we honor those who fought and died for our country. God Bless !

Our day is 25th April. ANZAC day. 

Every year, every town has a dawn service and an 11am service and parade.

When I was 17, I started going to the dawn service.  There were maybe 30 people there.

This year, it was estimated at 3000.

I'm so...I don't know, pleased isn't the right word...but it's wonderful that the next generation is being encouraged to recognise the selfless service and sacrifice made for our country.

When Linda and I lived in Oz we were travelling to the bush one Anzac day.  Drove through a small town, saw the parade starting, pulled over and watched.  It was incredibly moving seeing how many people of all ages were walking in the front of the parade, old uniform headgear on, medals punned to their chests.  And of course the entire town turned out.

I still get teary thinking about it.

As an ex British serviceman I  was quite surprised how seriously NZ took the centenaries. Over the last few years it has grown even more intense with a tremendous amount of young people joining the parades. One special parade some years ago my wife watched with great pride as her father paraded with the service people, her three sons with the boy scouts and me playing in the brass band!

Deigh

I bet you get teary, Paul.  It's fantastic to see how people band together for Anzac day. 

Deigh, what a proud moment for Valerie.

25th April 1915 was a very dark day in the short history of Australia and New Zealand. 

Sorry, Deigh, but history books show we weren't too enthralled with the English that day.

I don't know off the top of my head about NZ, but every family in Australia was immediately affected by the first world war, with service coming from every family. 

Unfortunately,  indigenous Australians have had a very hard time having service recognised.

All conflicts are remembered on Anzac day, with each year a different conflict now being the frontrunner for speeches at services. 

There is a service every year at the peninsula (Gallipoli), and one in France at Villers brettonaux,  where many Anzacs lost their lives.

I will forever salute the amazing people who serve our nation.

There was an amazing movie about Gallipoli called, of all things, "Gallipoli".  This was about the Australians who went over the top, and were shelled by the British who screwed up their timing.  If you haven't watched it, do. 

Yes, an incredibly sad but excellent movie.

Mel Gibson and Mark Lee do a fantastic job.  It's old, 1980 from memory, but just as relevant today as it was then. 

As Paul says: do yourself a favour and watch this movie if it's available to you.