alansd

Stem cell studies

There are and have been ongoing studies with stroke recovery and stem cells. One study is ongoing at Duke university now but is closed to new patients. This study is the second in a series where stem cells are injected into the area of the brain that was damaged, and it has been found that they stimulate the lost motor abilities.Another so Stanford Univ. was done and showed promise in regenerating neurons.Its just a matter of time for this to become available as a therapy.

whats strange is that studies show the new neurons only last for thirty or so days and then seem to dissapear, but the effects continue. One patient regained lost mobility after 10 years.

maybe the link to stroke stem cell fraud on th S site needs to be modified....?

3 hours ago, alansd said:

maybe the link to stroke stem cell fraud on th S site needs to be modified....?

Alan, you should Google, "stem cell therapy fraud"

i know there are a  lot of fraudsters. But serious medical advances are regularly being made, google the Stanford stem cell stroke study for example. 

I got selected for one of those studies but rejected at the final review when imaging showed that my stroke was diffuse with no single point for them to try. So watershed type strokes are not viable.

I had a massive stroke, and have been dealing with the consequences for 12 years now. Before I would let anyone inject my brain with anything, I would have to see several POSITIVE clinical studies. That being said, I've always thought that stem cell therapy makes so much sense. JMO.  Becky

I did ask my Doc about stem cell. He said I'm not a candidate because it is an extreme option and usually reserved for those restricted to a wheelchair. He also explained that it is strictly in the experimental stage and one obstacle is how much to give. Too much can result in cancer growth.