ksmith

thanks to facebook friends

I was reading the comments regarding stroke recovery and someone mentioned that she had a brain stem stroke and her boyfriend accuses her of  being a bad 'backseat' driver for she gets so nervous. That got me thinking of how easily I'm often scared. I  never, after 10+ years ever thought that I have damage to my startle reflex... 

Capturefb.JPG

I had my stroke 11-18 and  I too was a backseat driver for about 3 months, it was frustrating for my wife, I was so nervous that cars wouldn’t stop at stop signs. 

I've learnt not to be a backseat driver even when making lane suggestions, the wife does not take it lightly.

So many odd things that brain damage does and we don't necessarily think to put names onto, until we are trying to explain it to someone else.

17 hours ago, heathber said:

So many odd things that brain damage does and we don't necessarily think to put names onto, until we are trying to explain it to someone else.

cray right. My issue is I'll see you ,say, walk into a room. I'll start something , even seconds later, and when you walk in or come into my eye sight, I'll scream 

I'm the worst backseat driver ever, I admit it. My wife is a good driver except for her judgement, she is overcautious. Approaching a roundabout is like being in a bumper car, stop, go, yes, no, and she misses the obviously safe occasion to enter quite frequently. If we lived in America we would have to endure a hundred protesting horn honkers. It is only because this country has more tolerance that we get away with it.

I try to shut up but sooner or later my frustration shows itself and she gets furious. I'm surprised our marriage has lasted 58 years.

Deigh

Oh my gosh I have severe sensory over stimulation in all areas. My startle reflex is out of the park. This is just another reason my GAD and panic attacks can be so often and so bad. 3 days ago I had a full out meltdown panic attack because a moth smacked into my cheek at night. My daughter had to coax me into the house. I can't explain the extreme fear that goes through me. 

I am severely affected by riding in a car with a driver. I NEED to be in the front. I can't ride with just anyone. My mom, my sister, my step-dad and that's about it. It takes all of me to keep my anxiety at a manageable level during the ride. Last night...my kitty (who is the love of my life 😳) scared the poo out of me because she was under the bed table. I screamed and she ran away. I had a few moments of gasping for air and crying and then I calmed myself down. 

I sometimes can close my eyes in the car but not always.