Deigh

red lass cabinet extension

large.picture006.jpg.970e0b238397f2dbd58c4f9c60bc60af.jpg

After four years I thought I knew how to handle the problems left me by my stroke, last week proved me wrong! My wife is approaching her eightieth birthday and I decided that for the occasion I would make an extension to the cabinet containing her ever growing collection of red glass.

My plans required that I visit the local hardware shop, purchase a set length of Melamine shelving and have the store cut it to lengths to suit me.

First problem was that the different lengths were not displayed in an orderly fashion and selecting a piece to fit my requirements meant me working out the most economical length to suit proved a little tricky. My brain would just not cope with the simple mathematics to do this and gentle prompts by the assistant did not help! I needed to sit down at a desk with paper and pencil but this luxury was not available and as a result I chose wrongly and had tremendous wastage of expensive material. This was a blow both to my pocket and my dignity since making instant calculations and decisions is a norm in engineering!

Deigh

phooey but you got there eventually even if it wasn't by the most efficient means!

Looks nice. My wife collects red viking glass, we have a room full.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:03 AM, heathber said:

phooey but you got there eventually

I'm definitely short of skills but make up with sheer stubbornesss!

Deigh

Heading should read 'Red Glass Cabinet extension' but I stuffed that up too!

Deigh

The important thing is that you did it, in spite of its' difficulty, and it looks great!   Becky

The cabinet looks great!

My brain would just not cope with the simple mathematics to do this ... a blow both to my pocket and my dignity since making instant calculations and decisions is a norm in engineering!

I hear you, and I feel your pain; this is something that I go through regularly.  I think that it takes other engineers to know just how much things like this can shake our foundations.  I feel your pain and frustration.

Thanks for understanding, that incidence has taught  me a thing or two. Firstly is to make sure I know exactly what I want before leaving home and to avoid 'winging'it. I can make myself understood fairly well but not if I get flustered or am required to make instant decisions. Then I can completely lose it!

I am fortunate to live in a country where one's shortcomings are allowed for and shop assistants are pretty tolerant of the disadvantaged!

Deigh