raysrightside

Getting out of acute rehab today

and moving on to outpatient rehab. Hooray for Medicare disability.  I'm way ahead of the game this goround. Amazing the help available with insurance.  Didn't have any the first stroke and I learned so much from my therapists. Hope for continued progress in outpatient rehab.

having therapy makes it so much easier, or, it did for me. when I found that I couldn't do something, I would just be dumb-struck as to what to do next, but my therapists always had a "plan-b"."try this", they'd tell me", or, "do it this way". God bless them every one because I don't think that I ever would have figured it out on my own.good luck,Becky

Ray so long as you are doing your "homework" between sessions. you will make progress.  You've done this before, you can do it again!

My in house therapy was tremendous! Stressful but important. Out patient not so much. Riding a recumbent bike and lifting weights at home on my own.

Yes Out patient homework gets boring very fast but it is worth persevering and keep challenging yourself (within reason, have plan B ready) you don't know what you can't do until you try. And what you couldn't do yesterday you may be able to do today. Limits are for stretching.

I found that when I moved to outpatient rehab, the practitioners had far more time to check on my progress, more structure to the treatment, and far far better advice.  They also observed me closely, and picked up stuff that the hospital staff had not (left foot turning out, balance issues).  The biggest difference was that they had a pile of compensatory strategies that they could drill me in.  None for my specific cognitive impacts, but a lot for the physical side, which helped enormously.

I agree with Heather, it gets boring but it is well worth keeping on.  I tried to set myself personal challenges -- balance on the bosu for a few seconds longer, hearing what my left foot was doing on the treadmill rather than looking, and so on.  All minor, and peripheral to the major deficits, but helped me to stay engaged and feel that I was progressing.

I'm currently back in Out patient Physio a burst of treatment to try and correct some gait issues. Alanna has noticed that some of my issues are caused by my ankle not my toes (as we thought). I have a new balance exercise/test.  Stand on your bad leg with the knee bent and you good foot lifted off the floor slightly in front of you. Use your good hand on a chair or bench or other stable point to get stable, slowly taking as much weight out of the hand as you can. The goal is to tap the good hand 10 times.  I'm up to 4 on a good day.

Congrats!  Sounds like some serious progress being made there!

Outpatient rehab is where you have time on your side - the rehab in the hospital doesn’t last long enough for some of the changes your body is capable of.  I’ve been doing some kind of outpatient rehab most of the time since my stroke (about 3 1/2 years ago), and I still see improvements, even if they’re not as dramatic as they were right after the stroke.

On a humorous note, I decided the other day that the reason I work so hard to walk, walk so unevenly, and shuffle my feet was that I was being lazy and had just decided it would be hard, so I was walking apprehensively.  How to fix this?  Just decide to walk correctly: feet in a narrower stance, heel-toe, not grabbing the furniture for balance.  Let me tell you, that was a real comedy routine!  Sure, I walked “normally” - if “normally” meant I was extremely drunk!!  I realized after about 4 steps that maybe I needed to go back to how I was walking for now. 😁

Walking. 

So underrated. 

If only THEY knew.