The wife and I are ecstatic to see our new grandchild and they only live 30 miles away. Seems I've caused a problem with the DIL though. She wanted me to hold the baby (1 week old) but I have declined since I can't predict how my arm will function and general weakness. She is offended and I am afraid of dropping or hurting the baby. I had expected that as a nurse practitioner she would understand that I have to live with certain deficits one being that I don't want to chance injuring him. Love the little guy but his safety comes first.

Congatulations! Is this your 1st? .They are in my case a tremendous blessing. Mine are now 5 and 8 year old boys. They didn't remember it but they were with me in February 2015 when I had my brain bleed. They had fallen asleep in the back seat by the time my wife made the 5 minute drive to the emergency room from the older ones indoor soccer practice.. I have ask my wife over the past 4 plus years since off and on this question: "If I had the choice of no Grandkids, no stroke or Grandkids and a stroke" which I would choose. I'll take the Grandkids every time. Enjoy the new addition!  

Congrats on the new grandchild, Scott. As fast as kids grow you'll feel more comfortable holding him in no time! Becky

congratulations Scott for your first grandchild, I don't think your DIL will be upset with you she will understand, though you can always sit on sofa & play with your grandkid

Asha

Hi Scott if she really wants you to hold the baby do it sitting down with the baby on a pillow on your lap.  make sure your good arm is on the outside so there's no danger of baby rolling off.

Remind her that in this you need to be treated like a 3 year old sibling rather than a granddad.

Enjoy your visit and new role.

Congratulations!  I'm sure that sanity will prevail and you'll sort this out.

How exciting!! Congratulations!

There are so many ways to show love and affection to a baby, not holding him is all good!