Why is it so hard for me to take a selfie, or any photo, on my phone?  I hold it out fine but, when I move my thumb to tap the camera icon, my hand shakes and I almost drop the phone. Frustrating! 

Hi benni 

That is a very real struggle. 

I'm hearing you loud and clear. 

I have a Samsung s8.

I can hold the phone, in photo  mode or selfie mode, and say 'smile' and it takes a photo.

I keep my bad hand out of the situation,  because as you say, frustrating. 

I'm sure most smartphone would work like that?

The other thing I have tried is a selfie stick.  Slightly cumbersome to carry around though.

Hopefully someone has just the answer.

I don't use my bad hand at all. I've thought about using a selfie stick but wasn't sure it would work any better.

I just don't understand how everyone takes selfies with no problem. Maybe my fine motor skills are lacking. Don't know. 

I just don't like my picture taken. When I look in the mirror or into the picture of my phone, I look great. I think it's how I see myself and when I take the picture, I see my eye and face droop and it makes me disgusted. I remember in my head I though I looked great ( this was years ago and end of my marriage) and when I saw a picture that was taken, I cried,, in my mind I was ( at that time) fluffy but not obese and  always thought my doctor was just trying to motivate me and then I saw I was almost 300lbs..  I know it may sound silly but in my mind I see the awesomeness in life. I've always struggled and was diagnosed with Body Dimorphic  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder That's why before my stroke I used to ride my bike 20 miles a day. and in the hottest part of the day. I would fill up my camel back ( used to fill with water and drink while riding bike or dirt bike racing)  and use that for , in my mind,  I would lose more weight if I sweat it out. I wouldn't go to places if I couldn't get a ride in after.  I'm not sure this is lighthearted as Benni started.. 

I find the selfie sticks helps when taking photos in general and always take one when I travel. I use it in it's short mode most of the time as that reduces camera shake. Because the button to take the picture is now in my hand not on the phone I find it works better than trying to maneuver the phone to take the picture I want as well as hitting the button. This of course is in my good hand as my other doesn't work at all.  But like Kellie I'd much rather be behind the camera than in the photo.  I don't like that I can't "smile for the camera". At least these days if someone else takes a photo of me when I don;t know they are doing it my smile looks almost normal. It the voluntary/fake smile I've lost my natural facial expression seems to have mostly recovered.

Oh Kelli...hugs for you.

I think we are all connected in a spiritual way.

When I was checking the 'smile' thing for benni, I took a selfie.

This morning, looking for a different photo, I looked at the selfie.  I said to Wayne that I don't know how he stands looking at me, with my wonky face.

Heather I agree, don't like my photo taken either. 

I do it though, as I'm slowly accepting this new me. Also because I want my kids to have photos of me with them and with Wayne.

I absolutely have to be prepared though. No spontaneous photos. 

Kelli I'm currently 250lbs. Weight loss is an absolute work in progress. 

Easier said than done, whether deficits are visual or not.

Unfortunately I'm a comfort eater, and just lately I've needed a lot of comforting!

11 hours ago, heathber said:

I find the selfie sticks helps when taking photos in general and always take one when I travel. I use it in it's short mode most of the time as that reduces camera shake. Because the button to take the picture is now in my hand not on the phone I find it works better than trying to maneuver the phone to take the picture I want as well as hitting the button. This of course is in my good hand as my other doesn't work at all. 

You've pretty much sold me on the selfie stick. Need to research about the brands, prices, functionabilty (is that a word?)

It absolutely is a word, benni.

We bought a few when we were in Canada, as I struggled to take photos.

Cheap ones aren't worth the money,  but we also found really expensive ones not great either.

When you shop, don't be scared to ask them to take sticks out of packs etc.

I had a great one, but it proved to be too heavy. 

All the best with finding the right one.

J x

I used online review sites to find the one I have.  I went with the plug in rather than wireless versions. the trick is in setting the phone to use the volume signal to take the picture. the cable plugs into the headphone jack.  I use Android phone I believe apple is slightly different.

Why do you all not use your built in computer camera? You only have to punch the spacebar to operate it?

Deigh

Sorry Deigh, something may have been lost in translation along the way.

Benni is referring to her phone, when she's out and about. 

J x 

Thanks everyone!

Upon further research, I agree with Heather -- the plugin type. I, also, have an Android and I always check review sites.

Benni I'm glad you've narrowed down the type of stick you would like...Will make the shopping trip much easier!

Please let us know how it goes taking photos. 

J x

will do!!

Benni great to hear from you. I as well as others don't like to be on the getting my picture taken side of the camera. I wish I had something to add but I can only think of selfie stick too. I have intention trimmer sometimes. So if I am working hard to concentrate on taking a good picture my hand shakes...grrrr! Needless to say I have a habit now of taking multiple pics of the same shot and pick out the best one. At this point I don't think I ever take selfies anymore haha. I am fluffy. After having my stroke 4 years ago I've added a cloud or two from lack of activity. I used to be extremely active at my job. Losing weight is my nemesis. I know I need to but it is absolutely the hardest thing to try and do for me. It doesn't help that I have PCOS which makes it hard to lose weight. BIG STRUGGLE to accept my fluffy. Singing in my head and shaking my tush:  "I'm bringing fluffy back!". :sneaking: