banjo

Medical Cannabis

Cannabis is illegal in Australia except in very limited circumstances, but the government has authorised a trial of medical cannabis.

Yesterday I saw my neurologist about pain I get in my right leg.  I take Gabapentin, 4 a day.

I asked if there is any new drugs for the pain.  He indicated the trial.

Does anyone use medical cannabis?

I don't use it  because it makes my head hurt to much more ( dizzy) but I use CBD oil ( hemp oil derived from cannabis) and I think its a good way to help with pain. I'm a huge advocate for medical cannabis. The nice thing is they take out the THC which is the ingredient that makes people loopy Here in the states, if that is needed for certain circumstances it can be given in pill form so not in the Pot ( Marijuana)   Without the THC, the relief either happens immediate or , with the CBD oil, gradually. In my opinion , it's natural and beats taking all of those pills   

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/medical-marijuana-uses 

My neuro and primary sort of shrug their shoulders but agreed with my rationale for not wanting to use it

1) No formal dosing is available, how do I know if I'm getting 5 or 50 mg.

2) Their is very little high quality evidence from clinical trials about its efficacy.

3) Still illegal under federal law which can introduce all sorts of potential complications.

ive been using cbd and hemp oil, but found I was using it wrong,I put it in my coffee, but thats a no no.You have to put a dropper under the tongue.

Just now, Willis said:

1 minute ago, Willis said:

Edible cannabis for myself has been life changing after my hemorrhagic stroke in so many different ways. #1 it helps turn this handicap/disability into more of an inconvenience than anything else. I sleep very well every night and it also relives most of the discomfort (it's hard to call it pain) in my hip and shoulder. I had depression with suicidal thoughts for the 1st and only time in my 65 years. That was 4 to 5 months after my stroke Feb. 14 (Happy Valentines Day!) 2015. I was prescribed zolof and I hated it and the side effects but it did work to get me through that 3 month period. After that I found edibles did the same thing better and with no side effects. I make my own cannabis butter and bake cookies using it. The #1 thing one must remember about using edibles is to start with a very small dosage and spend a few days figuring out what the proper amount is for you starting out. After ingesting one usually begins to feel a little something in 45 minutes to an hour The maximum effect is felt in about 2 to 2 and a half hours so proceed with that in mind if you are curious if this could possibly bring  some relief for you from this horrible thing that has happened to us. I have a very good article on cannabis and the help edibles can provide to someone with brain damage. I can't seem to attach it here but will post it as soon as I get it figured out.

You can't see numb.

I live in one of the states that has legal cannabis as of 2016, and the forms allowed have evolved in the last several years. Currently as of late 2018 smokable flower is now available in the dispensaries. Of all the products available since 2016, the smokable flower seems to have the greatest benefits known as the "entourage effects" whereas you receive the benefits of the full flower in potency of the THC/CBD combined. We currently do not have as many available cannabis products in the dispensaries as some states, to especially include Colorado. I have a longtime childhood friend who lives there and she tells me they offer such a variety of cannabis products in both the orals, edibles, and smokable flower. In the few dispensaries located around here in South Florida, they really don't offer any edibles like the candy flavored, or chocolates and baked goods. They do however offer orals in the capsules and oils. The state is still evolving in their available offerings. The states governing officials did get involved to limit the potency of the THC% content of the flower, or at least thats what I last heard. My primary care doctor is also involved in making recommendations for medical cannabis, as many more doctors are getting on board to be licensed to make recommendations. Maybe just to round out their practices and attract new potential patients. 

And as scottm stated, there's still the looming Federal Laws that still consider it an illegal substance. I think in the future that may change just as the number of states pass new medical marijuana laws. Many states already have adopted recreational marijuana laws. Medical Cannabis may be a precursor to this in many states, or at least lower restrictions, fines and/or penalties for possession. 

In my state one of the biggest arguments against medical cannabis was "it is a gateway drug!" I thought a lot of fear mongering especially since in my case I was already being prescribed opiates around the clock for neuro-pain. Though those medications would make a days worth of pain a little more manageable, the side effects were awful in my case. I'm all in for more natural alternatives and if medical cannabis works...more power to it for those who have it available to them. I think that any legitimate pain sufferer should have exposure to any products that can help to reduce or eliminate real pain. I say, why not cannabis if it works. There is a lot of evidence to support these claims as the products become more readily available, and not just from the  the stereotypical hippie dope smokers from the 60-70's. Many of those that I see visiting my primary care physician look to be older respectable folks, if those fall into the demographic.  I was referred to him because he's a close family friend and my previous PCP office was overcrowded and long waits and visits in the waiting rooms. I didn't even know this new primary care doc was even licensed to recommend medical cannabis until we had in-depth discussion's of my medical history and frustration experience with pain medications. 

I'm a supporter of cannabis if it fact works for you. Lord knows I've tried so many other prescription pain meds that had their downsides. I say go for it!

Thanks Will2. It works in so many ways for me but as I stated mostly it turns this handicap/disability ( numb pretty much on the entire left with some mobility but little sensation) into more of an inconvenience than anything. Interesting how the thinking on this plant is burned into the mind of so many. People will swallow a pill whipped up in a laboratory (that has so many possible side effects they can't fit all of them in their commercials) in a heartbeat. Yet a plant which grows like our vegetables is taboo. How long have they been trying to establish any serious side effects now? Gateway drug? It better hurry up cuz I think Willie is edging up towards 90. I know it has been a life changer for me.  

So to your point Banjo I guess as they say "the jury is out". It works for many but it's a choice (if even available). My personal physician is from Canada but now lives here in Michigan. Quite awhile back I brought up the subject. He was neither negative or positive. A few visits later the discussion turned to Medical Marijuana again and he commented that his aged mother was applying CBD oil to her knee and he couldn't believe the improvement in her. Last visit I heard from his assistant that mom is now taking it orally.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:19 PM, Willis said:

Thanks Will2. It works in so many ways for me but as I stated mostly it turns this handicap/disability ( numb pretty much the entire left with some mobility but little much on sensation) into more of an inconvenience than anything. Interesting how the thinking on this plant is burned into the mind of so many. People will swallow a pill whipped up in a laboratory (that has so many possible side effects they can't fit all of them in their commercials) in a heartbeat. Yet a plant which grows like our vegetables is taboo. How long have they been trying to establish any serious side effects now? Gateway drug? It better hurry up cuz I think Willie is edging up towards 90. I know it has been a life changer for me.  

You're welcome Willis. Your symptoms stated above in fact mirror mine. I have the mobility on the left arm and hand but honestly couldn't tell the difference of a baseball or a fountain pen in hand if my eye's were closed because of the numbness. 

Additionally, to add, the only real downside to the medical cannabis products here in the dispensaries are prices. Not to mention that insurance does not cover cannabis products and it's strictly a cash business due to Federal laws and banking. So no credit cards or checks. Like mentioned, I'm guessing that as many more states get on board with legalizing medical marijuana, antiquated Federal laws may change, but for the time being it is still considered illegal and keep restrictions in place. For example, a bottle of THC/CBD capsule  may cost up to $50 or oils that applied under the tongue with a syringe, both considered in the oral category. Whereas a bottle of prescription 30 day supply of opioids would be zero or a small co-pay using insurance. 

Yep that describes it. Can't tell the difference by feeling only. The way I have been describing it to folks is if I had a variety of coins in my left pocket I could probably eventually get a hold of each (because I know they are there) and pull them out with my left hand but I would never be able to tell you what the coin was until I looked at it.

On 7/31/2019 at 12:27 AM, Willis said:

I do not have pain problems but I have a son who does and would like to have some answers please..firstly, will using hemp oil show up on a drug test device? and secondly, does it have the same light headedness effect as marijuana?

He is manager of a concrete firm and is not above making the odd delivery just to keep his hand in but the firm is very hot on drug use and he would not dare to use anything that could affect his performance.

Deigh

Deigh I don't know about the oil and the tests but others here use it and should have some answers. I don't think the oil has any euphoric effects. It is an interesting thing to me in that there are a few things it works better for if the THC (the psychoactive ingredient) is left in it. I think most of the claims of the effectiveness are oil without the THC. My personal physician is a Canadian citizen but also practices in the U.S. He is now giving it to his aging mother for her rheumatoid arthritis and is pleased with how much it has helped her. If I ever am lucky enough to win a small lottery, New Zealand is on my bucket list. Go Lydia Ko! 

HI Deigh I believe it depends on how you take it as well as the type of product you use. The roadside tests they use here are saliva based.  CBD is supposed to have the THC removed but I'm sure trace amounts get through, so again it depends on the drug test used and the product used etc. 

THC is the stuff that screws with your perception  and is what is usually tested for so he should be OK from that point of view.

Also as it's a natural product you can't always assume that the batch you use today will be the same as the batch you used yesterday, this is one of big pharma's main arguments against it's use.

Good luck to your son, I hope he finds a solution that works. Opiates will generally have more problems than Hemp when it comes to performance and clearheadedness effects.  It all comes down to choice and experimentation I'm afraid.  Best to research the half life of THC and how it's metabolised, before making any decision.

Heather, thanks for that, you have summed it up rather well. I'll discuss it with him and he can make his own decision.

Deigh

6 hours ago, Willis said:

If I ever am lucky enough to win a small lottery, New Zealand is on my bucket list. Go Lydia Ko! 

Good luck with lotto and thanks for info. Keep that bucket out of kicking distance.

Deigh

10 hours ago, Deigh said:

Heather, thanks for that, you have summed it up rather well. I'll discuss it with him and he can make his own decision.

Deigh

Good luck with lotto and thanks for info. Keep that bucket out of kicking distance.

Deigh

Thanks! Yeah the lottery. What a joke on all of us. 🤑 I spend a whole $3.00 Wed. and three more on Sat. A true waste of money no doubt. I really like the thought on the bucket. Thanks it made me think about my good fortune and how what happened to me 5 years ago this coming Feb. generally makes 1 in 4 kick that bucket. Onward my friend! 

On 9/25/2019 at 6:43 AM, Willis said:

hanks! Yeah the lottery. What a joke on all of us. 🤑 I spend a whole $3.00 Wed. and three more on Sat. A true waste of money no doubt. I really like the thought on the bucket.

Willis, I started doing the NZ lotto about twenty years ago, I spotted a way that the numbers were falling, I won $1400 and thought I was on to a good thing. I've used the same numbers ever since and frequently won small sums. I DO have the winning numbers but hope that they will come up in my lifetime! In a good year so far I have broken even!

I have no problems with the losses, Lotto here is virtually a non- profit organisation and all the proceeds are fed back into the community. I have been in several small clubs that have benefited by a grant and personally know of a few individuals who have been helped to buy disability motor scooters through them.

Regards

Deigh

17 hours ago, Deigh said:

Willis, I started doing the NZ lotto about twenty years ago, I spotted a way that the numbers were falling, I won $1400 and thought I was on to a good thing. I've used the same numbers ever since and frequently won small sums. I DO have the winning numbers but hope that they will come up in my lifetime! In a good year so far I have broken even!

I have no problems with the losses, Lotto here is virtually a non- profit organisation and all the proceeds are fed back into the community. I have been in several small clubs that have benefited by a grant and personally know of a few individuals who have been helped to buy disability motor scooters through them.

Regards

Deigh

Grrr.. I wrote a pretty long reply to this and my unreliable out in the country internet dropped me. I'll try again later. Take care sir!

4 hours ago, Willis said:

Grrr.. I wrote a pretty long reply to this and my unreliable out in the country internet dropped me. I'll try again later. Take care sir!

Unlike me Will, who so often willfully deletes my own posts before hitting the Submit Reply key. I've probably deleted more posts than submitted replies...I blame it on the stroke! :crazy: 

2 hours ago, will2 said:

Unlike me Will, who so often willfully deletes my own posts before hitting the Submit Reply key. I've probably deleted more posts than submitted replies...I blame it on the stroke! :crazy: 

I do that too and we should just post our thoughts, opinions and feeling I know you and myself well enough to know any anger or such would just be some needed venting and not intended to hurt anyone or upset them. Onward William!

On 9/26/2019 at 3:55 PM, Willis said:

I do that too and we should just post our thoughts, opinions and feeling I know you and myself well enough to know any anger or such would just be some needed venting and not intended to hurt anyone or upset them. Onward William!

Will, I could envision it's kinda like traveling through a lush dense tropical forest and arriving at an abrupt edge of it all and finding a desert as far as the eye can see. I type a long cohesive reply and it's like my mind runs out of gas, it just doesn't have any real content and feels empty...."DELETE" Emotionally driven....bah humbug!! 

sometimes the writing it down is all you need you don't need to post it to get the benefit. 

Personally I enjoy reading about how others are feeling and their view of things. God know I've been quilty of thinking there is only one way of looking at something. I'm learning! I especially like to read blogs that have emotion and feeling to them. will2 you're good at that! Yeah the mind running out of gas I know that one.