Benni

Did your food preferences change after stroke?

Just curious. Before my stroke, I wouldn't eat bread crusts, now do. I always ate just the yolks of an over-easy egg, now I eat all of it. My fave food was Chinese, but I had no taste for it after the stroke. The desire for it has just returned after 3 years. 

Just wondering if that was common? 

I react harshly to hot spices, couldn't tolerate Yogurt for a long time, too tangy.

also dry crunchy stuff tends to choke me.Whisky helps. As does beer or wine😈

Most of my taste preferences now are based on my hyper-acute sense of smell.

Tough one Benni.

I don't think my tastes have changed too much, but the things I eat have definitely changed.

I'm from farming families (on both sides) so red meat daily was the norm growing up.  Nothing to do with pasta or rice for us.

I still don't eat pasta or rice, but my love of red meat has dwindled considerably. 

I really only like to eat things I can manage on my own,  that no one needs to cut up for me.

I have a knork, best invention ever, and if I can't manage with that....

Thanks, Scott.

Janelle, I was a red meat person, too, but had to stop eating so much due to high cholesterol.

I also eat foods that are manageable by me -- Hubs doesn't have to cut up anything.

Knorks look interesting, but I can use a regular fork fine.

I have a couple of things that make life easier in the kitchen. I would be totally lost without my bread board I bought at the daily living shop.

The only thing I really craved for quite awhile, maybe a year or so were fresh oranges. 
It was the weirdest thing to me because the day of my bleed I was very close to a major hospital and was in ICU within pretty close to an hour. They gave me a CAT scan before that to confirm what was going on. When all this was happening before my very eyes I remembering being wheeled down the hall on a gurney after the scan and smelling the most delicious fresh orange I ever smelled and wanted them constantly for a long time.

You Can't See Numb

My stroke was about eight months ago and the first four months were spent medicating for my heart problem.  That medication changed my tasting mechanism totally.  Now that I'm off the medicine, I'm addressing the speech and swallowing aspects of my stroke.  I have changed many things I eat but it was done because of problems with my "swallower" .   

This post has got me thinking, I am eating much more fruit now - don't know if it is because of taste or the moisture content (i.e.. ease of swallowing).  You have me thinking and I thank you.  James

21 hours ago, GreenQueen said:

I would be totally lost without my bread board I bought at the daily living shop.

Yes! Hubs made me one, it was a lifesaver!!

17 hours ago, Willis said:

The only thing I really craved for quite awhile, maybe a year or so were fresh oranges. 

Hope you finally got some!

15 hours ago, jwalt said:

This post has got me thinking, I am eating much more fruit now - don't know if it is because of taste or the moisture content (i.e.. ease of swallowing).  You have me thinking and I thank you.  James

James, I have fruit every day for breakfast. Never wanted it before stroke. ????   You're welcome!

Fruit! I have never been a fruit fan, but Carrah is, so she cuts up oranges for me. I can still manage bananas. We buy bananas so the rabbits can have one occasionally!

Now I think about it, vegetables. No vegies for me. Unless Wayne cooks.

Before Stroke (BS) food was mostly" a means to an end": It ended hunger pangs. I was not a fussy eater, and I liked some things a lot, and some things not so much, like everyone else, I  guess. Growing up, my mother was a great cook, so it wasn't that. I think it was that I was so small, filled up fast, so, it was like" Now that's done" on to the next thing. After stroke ( AS), it's totally different: I LOVE FOOD! and savor each bite! But I don't think that the stroke itself did this, I think that being on a feeding tube did. I used to fall asleep at night thinking about foods that I missed, and wished I could eat. Now, I even collect recipes I want to try.Never did that BS, now I do!

Becky, that's how I was -- just eat, get it over with, and go on.. Always thought there should be a breakfast pill, dinner pill, etc. Just swallow that and be done.

I like your abbreviations of Before stroke and After stroke. I thought about writing that the other day, but was afraid I'd confuse others. It should be a standard on the forum.

Benni, Yeah, I kinda like the abbreviations too-have a ring of truth to them, doncha think?

Everybody- Hi. I have long believed that what I need in order to walk again is a Bioness brace because of its ability to stimulate multiple muscle groups simultaneously. So, every now and then I go to their web site to see what's new. The last time I went there in early 2019, I saw their new "brace", which consists of 2 bands, attached by velcro as 1 wraps around your leg, above your knee. The other wraps around your lower leg just above your ankle.  Inside the bands are the muscle stimulators. Isn't that neat-a whole leg brace reduced to just 2 bands, each only an inch or 2 wide, which wraps around your leg? The only major disadvantage I saw was that it didn't look as if you could wear it with skinny jeans!:wink:

Hi Becky, the bioness is great and yes the freedom to wear any shoes you want is a bonus, but you do have to wear shoes, there is a sensor under your heel and a little transmitter attached to your shoe so the stim knows when to fire.  maybe they have redesigned in the last few years but my lower leg unit was just under my knee, not just above the ankle. and it was 6 -7 inches wide, so yes no skinny jeans! and you can't wear stocking or tights, the electrodes have to touch your skin.  But still more comfortable and versatile than a rigid AFO.

Not that this has anything to do with food preferences.

My food tastes haven't changed AS, but like the rest of you I do go for things that don't need a knife and fork, I find a fork can do lots more than people realise. I also use the slow cooker and pressure cooker a lot, as it sits on the bench and means I don't have to hold a pot and stir.  Janelle how can you live without vegies! I seem to have some rabbit genes, my preferred lunch is carrot sticks, cucumber and capsicum with houmos or other dips. plus olives and and a cheese slice.  Note all finger foods ! 🙂

Sorry, Heather.  Definitely have vegies. Only when Wayne cooks, but.

Saying that, I do like the sound of your lunches! 

Oh m goodness YES. For me it's a texture thing.  I think because being on a thickener in rehab that has definitely altered my food decisions. Some I don't mind not eating but it also has changed the way I chew my food. You're supposed to chew your food x-amount of times...……well...……. not for me. I barely chew for when I get to a certain texture, I immediately swallow.  That poses an problem when I still have a time at swallowing ( sometimes my throat just stops knowing how to work)   

hqdefault.jpg

Heather, It's been a few months since I went to their website, and I don't know about toe sensor placement, but they have redesigned-for this unit anyway. They still sell the original Bioness that you used.

Back to the food thing: I still have dysphagia (swallowing difficulties) and this has changed my eating preferences a lot.  The dysphagia has improved a great deal over the years, but I will have at least one coughing/choking incident per meal. There are some foods that are difficult for me to chew and swallow. If I'm out in public, or with non-family present, I won't choose to eat them. Steak, for instance. I dearly love it, but it doesn't love me. It doesn't seem to matter how tender it is, it just won't go down easy. Rice. Love it, but no matter how careful I am, a stray grain or two will try to go down my throat without my knowledge, setting off a long coughing spell that sounds like I'm choking to death. And sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with it; I just want to enjoy my meal, and given a choice, won't choose the usual offenders.Becky

10 hours ago, becky1 said:

setting off a long coughing spell that sounds like I'm choking to death. And sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with it; I just want to enjoy my meal, and given a choice, won't choose the usual offenders.Becky

I still choke easily a few times a week, but not at each meal. It takes me so long to finally cough up the intruder, can't talk -- real raspy -- for about 20 minutes. I hate it! And Hubs can't tell the diff between regular coughing and choking. He always says "want me to get you something for your cough?"  I'm CHOKING A-hole!!

22 hours ago, ksmith said:

( sometimes my throat just stops knowing how to work) 

I certainly know what you mean!!

also-     i could not eat Yogurt for the past two years,  before the stroke I ate it daily.Just now starting to enjoy it, with berries in it, again.

I started to eat red meat, especially Angus burgers,after 40 years of no red meat at all.Now I crave a good burger often.  

for those who choke... have you tried dropping your chin towards your chest as you swallow? It opens up the throat, makes it easier.

Or turn your ahead away from the affected side -- did that for a very long time. It's not a habit anymore because I didn't choke for a long time. It can sneak up on you, I guess.

You've got it in one, benni.

Things become the new normal, and we become so used to the way we do things, we forget why we do them and we revert back...

Well me anyway. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be interested to know if we are all in the same boat.

My tastes have not changed at all but I had to cut down on quantity since it became too easy to put on weight with present excercise regime. Only thing that has altered is my tidiness, eating is a very messy business as clumsy knife hand can bowl food over easily. I dont eat in restaurants now, only McDonalds where they are used to kids chucking their food on the floor and have full time cleaners to compensate!

Deigh

Janelle, I'm right there beside you in the boat. An ex. from last night: I found myself sitting at the table with what looked like a delicious plate of food in front of me, and I was so hungry! So, I asked myself, "Why are you just sitting there?" I had been lost in thought and came back to my surroundings to find myself "just sitting there". I was getting ready to dig in when I remembered that I was waiting on something to drink. I don't eat without having something to drink because if I choke, I may need it to wash down whatever I'm choking on. So, I was sitting there, waiting.