Hi guys, new to all this.

My dad had a stroke on the 20th August. Clot on the front left part of the brain, causing aphasia. He’s on level 1 fluids and has managed custard and a rice pudding since. He’s not doing to badly physio wise, slight movement in right leg but nothing as of yet in right arm. 

Ive spent hours and hours trawling through information trying to get a better understanding of what’s happened, looking at first hand accounts on sites like this. I’ve not yet managed to find someone first hand that used CBD oil after a stroke, I’ve read a positive reviews etc and claimed research into it being good for brain activity during the first 12 weeks after a stroke but I’d love to talk to someone that’s actually used it first hand and had any positive effects off using it? Not sure whether I’m clutching at straws hoping it’s going to work some kind of miracle or not...

Thanks for reading and look forward to talking to some of you! 

Obviously no speech as of yet also, although get a grunt as though he’s trying, forgot to mention*

Stroke is a tough thing. His brain will continue to work to heal. Most, if not all, of this will be not visible to you or him. 

Is he in speech therapy currently?

I’m on a Facebook  group ARC Aphasia care Partners and friends, where I’ve seen some discussion of it. You’d need to join the group nad when you’re accepted do search with the group for cbd to find it. We have not tried it.

Yeah he’s in speech therapy and physio, he’s no movement in right arm as of yet and no speech. He’s on puree food and the progress he’s made so far is similar to that of someone around 6-7 weeks. I’ll look for the FB group now thank you 

We have a chat group for survivors Monday-Friday afternoon 3-4pm est . The afternoon would be the better time for you

Tom, My doc, while I was in in-pt rehab, told me that the large muscle groups recover first (leg muscles) followed by the smaller groups (hands.)

This is not saying that the hand muscles will recover if the leg muscles do. It's just saying that this is the typical pattern of recovery. So don't give up on his hand yet. Good luck with everything.   Becky 

i went to a class on CBD given by a chemist who said many users buy the wrong product or use the stuff wrong.

Buy only C02 extracted oil, that has quality other oils in it,drops go under the tongue, to absorb, dont "drink" it.

It could take 3 months of daily use to see results.I am using it regularly, bought from     goldenphae.com

I heard a dr. say that cbd could reverse or prevent brain disorders in NFL players from concussion..

Alan

You are right but we did not have a concussion..............................................................we had a stroke and everyone stroke is different.

My Dr told me before he passed last year that strokes are nasty, parts of our brain have died and it depends on so many things, basically its a case by case scenario and if you were lucky or not kinda like Luke Perry.................were all here so we were the lucky ones, my Dr also told me there is not enough clinical studies on CBD and stroke recovery, he said it will take years and the reason its legal is states are only looking at the tax revenue generated and not if it really does help. I hope i'm wrong but what if i'm not, only time will tell.

Good luck with your and all the boards members stroke recovery.

Never give up.

Ed

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies! Been ridiculously busy. He’s doing well in terms of physio, not too well on speech at the moment but had a bit of a set back at the weekend when he caught pneumonia! Ordered some CBD from America which came yesterday, tarting him on that when he’s over his infection so will keep it documented. Hope everyone is well 😊

Good alansd ! I encourage you to pursue this and remain open minded and curious. It's not voo-doo medicine as many are brainwashed to believe. It's works.Side effects? Haven't they been working on that one since the early 1960's? My left arm and leg were "feeling" unusual last night before bedtime and once in bed lying there I realized

I was getting all these little nerve firings going on up and down my left arm and leg. I have found however when it comes to this subject with some it's often better to save our breath for breathing.  Onward! 

Let me rephrase that. "Brainwashing" is a little strong. It's me Irish temper. The continued efforts to thwart any possible benefits CBD may have by the pharmaceutical giants are sad. Thankfully that is changing mostly I believe because of social media.I challenge any of you who watch for instance the national news on American TV networks to mute the sound when any of the many drug commercials come and watch the "actors" without the blah-blah. Interesting what they are trying to sell me on I think. I can playball, ride my bike, go swimming and so many other things if I just get this perscription! Oh you better turn the sound up the last 3/4 of the commercial to hear all the serious side effects to look out for.

I take 2 BP meds to prevent another brain bleed and other than a little dizziness (which maybe stroke related) there are 0 side effects thankfully.

I'm in the camp that says you have nothing to lose by giving it a go. In my search for many years to find a suitable replacement from using opiates to manage neurologic pain, and I've tried a lot of them, I always remained open to trying alternative approaches. I've heard in many a case CBD oil has helped stroke and patients that have seizures, especially the product "Charlottes Web" (sp?) If it helped alleviate seizures in children in stories I've read from desperate parents, it may be worth a try. There are some healing properties due to brain damage and diseases claimed. I always remain open and when you've tried many different treatments for an ailment without much success, and not much to loose by trying, I say go for it. And keep in mind what may work for one individual might not work for another, but still may be worth the try. Especially where strokes apply, our symptoms may vary from one individual to another and  complex as the area and degree of damage to that particular part of the brain. I'm so glad that there are options, and paths, many here have taken and share what treatments and/or meds that work for them.  I'm searching and will always remain open, my philosophy is that you never know what you don't know..

Tom, I'm sorry for the set back but glad to hear that he is on the mend.

wil2 I encourage you strongly to pursue the CBD route. It doesn't happen over night but you will be in for some very nice discoveries. After 2 years of some encouraging signs there are some pretty exiting things happening to me and my body.

I would also add this CBD story about "Haileys Hope" for inspiration and one who tried many paths to get where they tried CBD for her child

LINK>>>>  https://www.compassionatecertificationcenters.com/haleighs-hope/

Also this similar story of another child and the parents attempts to help using a CBD strain "Charlottes Web"

LINK>>>> https://420evaluationsonline.com/health-and-news/cbd-charlottes-web-and-the-federal-government

I hope everyone that chose to try CBD products has great results, i'm no Dr just i'm just a stupid Electrician trying to enjoy the new me

Ed    

You know what works for you Ed.Enjoy!

Willis...................question is does it help you ???????

edke1, yes in so many different ways. The main 3 I would say are attitude, pain management and sleep. For me I like to say it's been miraculous. It basically makes these disabilities more like an inconvenience than any kind of a big handicap. I have kind of wore out my welcome on this subject here lol but I have used recreational marijuana for a long time. I took my very 1st toke in Oct. 1967. I never dreamed it would end up being my medicine taken orally every few hours. Good luck and best wishes my friend.

Willis

I took my first toke in 1976 age 14 and was done playing with it by 1978 remember that was the rage back then, I did not like the feeling, I like being in control of myself and only found it to help in acceptance in school or fitting into the crowd and with the girls. I was immature but that's what you call growing up.

I never had an attitude or anxiety problems , most people today cant handle anything unless it goes there way 100% of the time.

As far as sleeping all I know is as soon as my head hits the pillow i'm out like a light and sleep 8-9 hours.

Pain management ????????, I rarely took anything because I never had any pain as in headaches, heartburn or ????????? and rarely got sick.

Today at 57 and after I had my stroke I take two pills twice a day for my type II Diabetes and one baby aspirin and that's all.

My doctor told me before he passed away that there are no drugs that will heal what the stroke has taken away, a part of my brain had died and nothing is going to bring it back, sure other parts of the brain may help out some but it might take years for this to happen or not happen, this is the best its going to be.

I have offered my new Dr's and others in the medical field if they have a secret drug that could make me 60-70% of my former self I would give them my house complete and walk away from it because I still have that desire to be successful and could do it again even at my age, its just money,  all I want is to have the old Ed back but that's not going to happen because the Stroke took something that can not be fixed, sure it depends on how severe the stroke was and where in the brain it happened.

I hope i'm talking out my ass on this subject and i'm proven wrong, CBD is the wonder drug that so many are stating , remember i'm just a stupid Electrician but its been almost 3 years now and S.O.S., I just want the dizziness to end.

I get up everyday hoping will it change today ...........NOPE :grrrrr: :@#*%: 

The  only thing changing is my age  :lol: 

Sorry for the long vent and Willis it it helps you out keep doing what your doing.

Remember " A man has got to know his limitations " an old quote from one of my favorites  Clint Eastwood

Ed