ksmith

If you want to work on SSDI ..ask first ( US)

So...

I have gone back to work and I was told for the first 9 months, I was able to work all I wanted..

That wasn't entirely true.

The woman who I spoke to said if I sign up for the :" Ticket to Work'" program...  I will be  $880 gross a month but if you want to not do that , you can gross $1200. My father and  I went to m local office this morning because agency wide, all employees , received a pay raise. Naturally, everyone was very happy..... except me. You see, I can only gross ( pay before taxes) $1220. a month. That sounds like a lot but it truly isn't after taxes. But , for the first 9 months, I could only gross $ 880. a month. I wasn't told that and I grossed WAY over that. I was given a grace period amount of money for when I  worked over would balance that out, ( I'm sorry I'm vague about the details.. I zone out after a few mins of talking,, why my father was there)

The short of the long:

I worked way over and as a result I am guaranteed to lose out on one check.. this sucks but.

you have to stay at $1220. gross a month FULL STOP.

If you go over that every so often, you'll be penalized.. either check deduction or loss of check for month.. NOW If you go over 1 time after that time frame ( 3 years) you'll lose your benefits completely.  (( Full stop))

just a word to the wise 🙂

1422803354.png

Geez-That sucks! So you're only guaranteed an income if you don't work (too hard)?

Silly rules! Some bureaucrat decided that if you can work enough to earn $1220 before tax sometimes then you are not really disabled and you don't need the support.

18 hours ago, becky1 said:

Geez-That sucks! So you're only guaranteed an income if you don't work (too hard)?

EXACTLY :hmmmm:

17 hours ago, heathber said:

Silly rules! Some bureaucrat decided that if you can work enough to earn $1220 before tax sometimes then you are not really disabled and you don't need the support.

And I believe that was the case...… many years ago but unfortunately the cost of living has gone up and sadly people that abuse this program mess it up for those who need it 

It also ignores the fact that your overall health (particularly mental health) and burden on society decrease if you are able to work, even a little bit.

I had something similar with my disability insurance.  I started working part-time (very part-time, about 12 hours/week) after about 3 months.  Three months later, my insurers informed me that the had reviewed my case & saw that I had worked for 6 hours on one day in those three months, and was therefore cured and that they were cutting off benefits.

We hit them with neuro reports, cog psych reports, the whole nine yards, and made it clear that this would end up in court.  They backed down but ended up needing the whole battery of tests just before each anniversary so that they could "fully evaluate my stroke".  

I wanted to report them to the local medical regulatory body, as they were diagnosing a core without even having seen me.  If there were doctors on the panel, they should have been struck off, and if non-doctors they should have been fined/jailed/whatever for acting as doctors.  Too much bureaucracy and too much paperwork, so I ended up dropping the whole thing, but am *still* *beep* off about it, and trust my insurers about as far as I can throw their building (ie. not at all).

In a perfect world these bureaucrats would have to live by and be affected by these laws they make. 

In a perfect world not only would tey be affected by their rules, but they would also get to experience what their insured experience.  Plot for a thriller:  mad scientist has a stroke, disability insurers cut and stop payout on very dubious grounds, mad scientist creates something that can cause a stroke, starts attacking insurers with it.  I'd buy a copy tomorrow.

I think you've written chapter one! I admire anyone who has gone back to work Having to do that and battle bureaucracy on top of it? That sucks.  I was already retired 5 years when I stroked out. I am doing fine but struggle with the fatigue like most.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:27 AM, PaulNash said:

I had something similar with my disability insurance.  I started working part-time (very part-time, about 12 hours/week) after about 3 months.  Three months later, my insurers informed me that the had reviewed my case & saw that I had worked for 6 hours on one day in those three months, and was therefore cured and that they were cutting off benefits.

We hit them with neuro reports, cog psych reports, the whole nine yards, and made it clear that this would end up in court.  They backed down but ended up needing the whole battery of tests just before each anniversary so that they could "fully evaluate my stroke".  

I wanted to report them to the local medical regulatory body, as they were diagnosing a core without even having seen me.  If there were doctors on the panel, they should have been struck off, and if non-doctors they should have been fined/jailed/whatever for acting as doctors.  Too much bureaucracy and too much paperwork, so I ended up dropping the whole thing, but am *still* *beep* off about it, and trust my insurers about as far as I can throw their building (ie. not at all).

good for to to back them down.  When or what is disabled anymore to insurance companies? .  If you can stand, 'well, looks like you can stand for 6 hours a day.. We'll find something for you so we don't have to support you' :angry:

On 9/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, Willis said:

I think you've written chapter one! I admire anyone who has gone back to work Having to do that and battle bureaucracy on top of it? That sucks.  I was already retired 5 years when I stroked out. I am doing fine but struggle with the fatigue like most.

God bless.

I'd start tomorrow but I get so  t_i_r_e_d when I try to write ...

And if I made any money on it, the insurance would cut me off 🙂

On 9/8/2019 at 9:54 AM, PaulNash said:

In a perfect world not only would tey be affected by their rules, but they would also get to experience what their insured experience.  Plot for a thriller:  mad scientist has a stroke, disability insurers cut and stop payout on very dubious grounds, mad scientist creates something that can cause a stroke, starts attacking insurers with it.  I'd buy a copy tomorrow.

It can be so misleading to read about something and think that you understand it all. But to make major decisions about someone else's life based on your understanding of what you've read is just wrong, or should be. "Never judge a man (or woman) until you've walked in his moccasins."

7 hours ago, becky1 said:

"Never judge a man (or woman) until you've walked in his moccasins."

I think this is my new favorite saying