alansd

Help me be a peer support person

What questions would you have liked to hear from a support person while you were hospitalized? I need to mold my approach. Taking classes now to start visits in a few weeks.

i want to be encouraging empathetic and helpful without being invasive and of course not violating hiipa.

Alan,

I salute your endeavor.  I had a million questions that I didn't believe were important enough to take up a doctor's time.  If you let the patient just talk a while, the things they want to know will probably come out.  Again, what you are doing is so great. Congratulations !!!

James

I think that JWalt is right; the questions will come out. However, I felt scared a lot, mostly because I was confused. and/or didn't know what was going on. It would have helped me so much if someone had just explained the basics to me. Instead, I pummeled my husband with questions he couldn't answer, leaving us both frustrated.

1. What happened?

2. What is a stroke?

3. When can I go home?

4. Why can't I use my arm or leg?

5.Therapy? What's that? Why can't I have therapy at home?

6. Am I going to die, and that's why I can't go home?

7. What happens when I go home? Will I be cured?

Hopefully, none of your clients will be like this. I really was.   Becky

My only comment is treat people like adults. Some of the hardest days were the ones where the nurses treated you like a child. As you know having a stroke does not give you dementia (mostly) Even if you can't communicate well and your memory is a bit off you are still a responsible adult so don't just say "no you can't" explain why I can't or rather shouldn't.  Mostly the nurses did not have time to explain why something had to be done a certain way, and I personally am not good at being "good" unless I know why, and even then I'll probably argue about it.

keep it coming, friends

Becky.     The NZ health system is excellent but I did get let down in the hospital when I first had my stroke. Faced with a larger array of problems my body had never experienced before, I was at a loss to know how to handle it. On the third day I was asked if I'd been given the 'Stroke Package' and had to admit I hadn't. It turned out to be a large envelope with a mass of information about the problems I was facing plus lots of advice and addresses of organisations that could help me.

It was a God-send and a great relief to understand a bit more about what had happened and what I might expect. This package should have been given me when I was moved into the ward but thanks to one nurse being on holiday it had not been and that was a very annoying breakdown of the organisation and  I'd have been spared three days of unnecessary concern and worry.

Deigh

Amen! to everything you said, Deigh.  I had no idea what was going on. I later thought that it would've been so nice to have had some info 

2yrs later, I found Strokenet and had my remaining questions answered.  Becky   

I know we have to get on to rehab straight away. I know. 

I would have loved to have been told, however, it's ok to say NO.

It's ok to say I'm overwhelmed today. I need some thinking time. I have a lot to process.

One afternoon to try to get yourself together is not too much to ask.