will2

How Has Stroke Affected Your Memory?

Most of my life I've had a good to great both long term and short term memory recall. Since my stroke my short term memory has certainly been compromised, long term is still pretty good at 67yrs. When I was with transitioning from long term disability to SSDI I had to go for a Psy evaluation where the administrator would go through a battery of tests. All of them I failed miserably. I especially started laughing when he interrupted me after asking my to count down from 100 subtracting 7 each time from the total. After about the fourth or fifth countdown number, he interrupted and said stop, thats enough. I started to laugh as I knew my numbers were way off, kinda like being on a downhill  rollercoaster and cannot stop the declining inertia. 

Another test was he'd read a paragraph or so about say...Sally lives in a seaside village and goes to the store with $15 to purchase some eggs and milk. The total cost was $7.95. She left the store and on the way home she also passes by a crafts store and with the remainder purchases some blue yarn for $3.55, how much money would she have left over?

He asked me to recall the story and give him an account of what I can remember about it?

Me...well, something about a girl name Sally I think and she goes to a store...that is all, another embarrassing quiet laugh.

I've always been very good about following detailed instructions but now, not so much. I can't follow verbal instructions when given them on the fly if they say too much at once, especially at a fast pace. The brain just goes into lock-out now and I stop them and explain this stroke deficit puts me at a disadvantage. Another thing I noticed the other day was I couldn't remember a particular word that I needed to put my conversation together...I just drew a blank! Long term though, is still intact and good.

How about you?

Who are you again?

What were we talking about??

It hasn't been great, to be honest. 

I lose words all the time, forget my point, can't remember names (which was something I was GREAT at).

It's hard too, simple things.  Trying to figure out simple subtraction or addition.

One day I couldn't figure out how many toes was the correct amount. Can't remember sometimes how things work, or fit together. 

Non of the above happen all the time.

Just often enough, I reckon, that people must wonder if I make it all up.

I was very fortunate not to have any type of memory or cognitive damage,; however, my physical damage compensated.    Becky

oh yes the neuropsych tests. Ouch, copy the line drawing, make the patterns, remember a list of objects, here are 5 words, now listen to this story and tell me how many of the words I gave you are in the story.  worst one what's wrong with this picture? which tests your ability to see objects in context. the one I remember of them now is a picture of a farm yard in the snow with no snow buildup on the fence, not designed for those of us who live where snow is not a normal experience. and after all that you ask me what the list of objects was

My question was always how do you know how much of this I could do before my stroke??

My memory was off-the-charts good before my stroke (good enough that I was used as a test subject for some new memory tests when I was in school (l_o_n_g time back), and broke their test :-).

Now it is erratic, to say the least.  Linda broke a finger, for the first several days I would comment on the strapping:  "what happened to your finger?".  I finally remembered, but it took time.  Not surprisingly, she got quite narked when I kept forgetting that she had broken it, even though she knew about the deficits.

I've had a bajillion tests since my stroke (I guess I'm a good example to show students :-)).  Immediate recall -- off the charts.   Short term (30 seconds) -- normal.  Long term (10 minutes) -- abysmal.

Some stuff sticks, mostly emotions.  So I remember that I am/was feeling miserable, without knowing why.  Or I might remember that I have to do something important, but not know what.

And so on.  It sucks (to put it mildly).  There are plenty times when I would happily swap a limb for a working memory.  Other times, not so much,

And one of the worst features is that it is invisible.  When I get tired my left leg drags; people see that and offer some sympathy.  My brain shuts down, and they think that I am being otherwise, or upset with them, or just not interested.

I had no issues during the first year. The second year, I found that while reading a novel, I would have to re-read several pages the next night, to remember what was happening. This happened often enough that I gave up reading novels/magazines after being an avid reader for over 40 years -- no interest in at all.

During the 3rd year, I had short term memory issues. I would forget, within 30 seconds, what I'd just done and do it again. Hubs would have to tell me I had already done that -- embarrassing! I've been doing much better the past 6 months -- back to "normal".

On 10/4/2019 at 7:16 AM, Benni said:

I had no issues during the first year. The second year, I found that while reading a novel, I would have to re-read several pages the next night, to remember what was happening. This happened often enough that I gave up reading novels/magazines after being an avid reader for over 40 years -- no interest in at all.

During the 3rd year, I had short term memory issues. I would forget, within 30 seconds, what I'd just done and do it again. Hubs would have to tell me I had already done that -- embarrassing! I've been doing much better the past 6 months -- back to "normal".

Benni, one advantage imo having to re-read or in my case re-watch a previous movie, is that I can enjoy the same film again and again because it's similar to watching it for the first time. It's convenient with Direct TV and my programing plan because so many of the movies are so repetitive :wink:

Benni,  I'm glad that you are back to normal; those sort of instant-forgetting episodes are quite demoralizing and upsetting.

15 hours ago, will2 said:

Benni, one advantage imo having to re-read or in my case re-watch a previous movie, is that I can enjoy the same film again and again because it's similar to watching it for the first time. 

I was like that while playing games/puzzles on my tablet. If I ran out of puzzles, I'd just do the old ones again -- just like having new ones! 😄