PaulNash

Positive side-effects

I'm trying to make a list all the positive side-effects of stroke.   Here's a starter:

1.  Excuse when I forget birthdays/anniversaries/chores (memory deficits)

2.  Re-reading old books and watching old movies (memory again)

3.  Block out unpleasant/distracting images (visual field cut)

4.  Reminder when I am tired (leg starts dragging)

5.  Others have to share the driving on long trip (fatigue)

6.  Pass on unpleasant tasks (won't remember how to do them properly, too clumsy)

7.  Charging more for work (I bill by time, and everything takes longer)

There have to be a whole lot more.  Please add to the list

8.Good excuse for not getting out of a warm bed in AM.: I don't have to be anywhere(like work).

Understanding the need to find the right professional craftsmen to complete or perform needed and desired work done around the house these days. I was always a jack of all trades but not a pro at any. Yes I could do most home projects and would usually insist on it. Sure it would get done but not as good or fast as a pro and often my work would be missing those final touches to complete the job. No problem now. Open the door for the painters for instance in the AM, stand back, put my hands in my pockets and watch the pros do their thing. Job completed usually in a day or 2 and I've never touched a paint brush, the walls are painted and you would never know they were here. After 30 plus years of putting money, blood, sweat and tears into this 100 year plus farm house I'm loving this new way of getting things done. 

Will my Dad is finding similar freedom, having finally admitted at 84 years young that he shouldn't be climbing ladders any more.  Finding tradies has been a bit interesting as they live "out bush" but he's now found a "handyman" he trusts to do/manage all the little jobs that pile up around a not new house.

1 hour ago, heathber said:

Will my Dad is finding similar freedom, having finally admitted at 84 years young that he shouldn't be climbing ladders any more.  Finding tradies has been a bit interesting as they live "out bush" but he's now found a "handyman" he trusts to do/manage all the little jobs that pile up around a not new house.

Good deal Heather. If a person can find a good handyman like that they can be priceless and often they are very grateful to be paid a fair price for their talents in cash.

My greatest positive is being home for my kids. 

Both my mum and Wayne's mum were stay at home mums, and we knew that's what we wanted for our kids.

Even though I worked at a school library,  had school holidays off and worked school hours, this is different. 

My brain is available for them when they get home from school etc. 

(1) Being able to hang with the cat for hours and just vegetate watching TV without any comments from the wife.

(2) No more lawn and landscaping work, especially in the dog days of South Florida summers, I hire the same crew now.

(3) No more stink-eye from the wife on doing household chores in and around the home. In the past pre-stroke, I was a healthy, strong and very energetic guy. Always doing yard, home, or pool work all days. It took her awhile to get used to the idea that I cannot get the same jobs done as in the past, even though I look great! It's finally sinking in, she's a tough bird.

(4) I seem to save more $$ because I cannot shop as much. In fact, I've found services that I can grocery shop online, drive there and they have special parking and load all the groceries up for me. Though I had to purchase a upright wheel cart for unloading at home and bringing them into the house myself. I'm still trying my hardest to remain as independent as I can. It may take a few carts and sitting breaks but I get the job done and groceries put away...plus, I don't buy as much at one time :smile:

9. I know my limits

( no more being a shite for I know how fragile life is)