Hello everyone. My name is Renzo, I am 54 years old and live in Toronto, Canada. I had a stroke just over a year ago and have pretty well recovered as much as I can. Lasting effects for me are horrible short term memory and reduced vision. Pretty lucky overall. Just learning to adjust. Cheers and hope to chat more in the future. Still adjusting.

Renzo,

Welcome to the group.  Hope you find all these folks as helpful as I have.

James

Hi Renzo

Thank you for introducing yourself. 

I look forward to sharing with you. 

Renzo, Welcome to StrokeNet!  Please don't give up on those lingering side effects  (we call them "deficits"). You are very young in terms of stroke recovery, and recovery from a stroke is notoriously slow. It can take months or even years. So hang in there, these things may improve yet!   Becky

Hi Renzo, short term memory seem to afflict a lot of us , as well as other stroke survivors.  Reduced Vision: have you had your eyes checked by a neuro optometrist? They can better evaluate the brain/eye 

Hey there. Thanks. Went to neuro optometrist. My glasses have yoked prism to direct my eyes to the left. Even watching the news I forget a lot of it. Could be worse

Cheers.

Hello Renzo, welcome and you're in good company so ask or comment as much as you care to..

Hi Renzo; I'm also in Toronto, stroked nearly 4 years ago.

Things improve over time; I'm still seeing improvements (albeit smaller ones now).  My memory is also damaged, mostly unable to make new memories.

If you can, try to get a referral to Sunnybrook Hospital (or get your case transferred).  They have got the most amazing stroke team there.  Takes a while to actually get in, but they are thorough and have phenomenal resources.  Again, it can take a while to get access to them, but it happens eventually.

If you need any Toronto-specific resources, I've dealt with quite a few and can give you my highly-opinionated take on them.

paul

Thank you. Hmmm. My rehab was with Toronto rehab, near the CNIB off Bayview. Was referred to spinal cord injury ontario for a program re looking for a new job but staying put for now. Bit of a reduced workload.

Not sure what else can be done...lucky it could have been worse I guess. Just use some strategies like writing everything down, audio books.

Chat soon I hope.

Cheers,

Renzo

Thanks again,

Renzo

Hey Renzo

I was also at Toronto Rehab.  Really nice and caring people.  They did a good job for getting my left leg working properly and fixing my balance.  Also teaching me to compensate for the visual field cut.  Tried but could not do anything for the memory issues.

paul

They were great. I worked with Susan Watt and Stephanie Farrow. There was a stroke support group that met once a month in Mississauga  but never made it out there, even when I was off for 4-5 months, should have made more of an effort. Love to chat sometime. Yonge College area here...or else no worries, will explore this group/email more.

Hi Renzo. It is definitely a process but hang in there!

On 11/18/2019 at 5:03 AM, souzdal said:

Even watching the news I forget a lot of it. Could be worse

Yes, Renzo. It could definitely be worse.

You could remember the news! So much sadness going on out there...

Renzo, A belated Welcome to you. This is the first time  in about a year that I have participated in this group, although I have been a member since 2005, I am also a Canadian; but from Winnipeg, except I spend my winters in Mesa, Arizona. On December 24, 2003 At the age of 57 I experienced massive bi-lateral strokes that initially left  me without use of my entire left side, unable to speak, and extremely confused. In the Spring of 2004 I became very active in, and a great believer in the value of peer support groups in Manitoba. In the winter of 2004 2005 when I was unable to find any group in Mesa I managed to find this group. I have been drifting in and out of it ever since.It can be a great support and reference point.Even after I made what I considered to be a full recovery I would occasionally participate in this group. In fact I became even more active. It is important that you realize that you are pretty lucky in that if you focus on the positives and the things that you can do, rather than simply your issues and deficits you will have a much more successful recovery,

Hello Souzdal. Southern Ontario.  Use to frequent Toronto almost weekly for work.  You can write me on here if you want.