johngri8

My taste buds were definitely changing

Before my stroke I liked wine but after my stroke I hate wine only beer and I can't do meat, only vegetables

John, snap!

With the meat, not the alcohol. 

Actually,  vegies too.

Prefer salad these days.

I'm going to have to think hard about food I liked before than I can't stomach now.

About a year or so after my stroke everything tasted like dirt, literally, everything except orange juice and vanilla milk shakes.  No, vanilla is not my favorite.  I prefer chocolate and mocha but ewwww, dirt. Instead of forcing myself to eat dirt, my new diet consisted of the above because I decided some nutrition is better than no nutrition.  I lost forty pounds. And then my taste started coming back and so did the weight. I think the problem lies in a nerve that goes down your face that affects your taste buds.  Mine came back on it's own. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could control it?

Yes, Pearls. Yes it would.

I used to love mocha, and can't handle it now.

Can still chocolate though. 

Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing but!

Welcome to the site John, yes I remember that my taste buds went through a re-calibration stage in the early days of stroke. My love of whisky didn't alter and my son smuggled a sampler bottle of in for me. Diluted with Sprite from the hospital tuck shop it made the second day in hospital a lot more tolerable. My wife, being a goody-goody wouldn't even consider disobeying the rules of the authorities but fortunately I'd brought my son up with good values.

Deigh

John, like Deigh, my taste buds seemed to go thru some slight re-calibration though just enough to notice a slight difference. No major food selection changes or reversals, thank god, I still enjoy chocolate and carrot cakes :tongue: One big change orally was gag reflexes though. Every now and again a small swallow of saliva always goes down the wrong path and the choking begins, annoying to say the least. Hardly ever happened pre-stroke but is now a regular occurrence.

22 hours ago, will2 said:

Every now and again a small swallow of saliva always goes down the wrong path and the choking begins, annoying to say the least. Hardly ever happened pre-stroke but is now a regular occurrence.

It's daily for me, and it seems forever before I can cough it back up again!!

Hello,

Two years after his stroke, I am still having a hard time getting my husband to eat. He is still battling thrush on his tongue from when he was in the hospital which is proving to be a very stubborn bug, indeed, which we think is part of the problem. He's lost about 40 pounds now as a result. I guess, among other things, strokes affect even the enjoyment of food. Good luck to you all, and I hope that that situation improves with you all eventually!