FOR HEARING IMPAIRED GIFTS

It's that time again...time for me to figure out WHAT TO GET MY MOTHER FOR XMAS! This is a yearly dilemma that usually sends me to bed with a headache. She's 83, and a stroke survivor who has both physical and mental deficits. She lives in Assisted Living. She wants for nothing. If we ask her what she wants she says "Nothing. I have everything I want or need ."  And our phone conversations can be so disappointing and frustrating to both of us. Because between her hearing deficits and mine and her dysarthria and  mine, most of them consist of things like "Huh?" "What?" and "Say again."

To make matters worse she can't call me because she can't remember my ph. number, and can't read (stroke deficits). I was mulling this over last night when it hit me. I WANT TO GET HER A PHONE FOR XMAS AND PRE-PROGRAM IT SO SHE ONLY HAS TO HIT ONE KEY TO REACH ME AND ONE NUMBER TO REACH HER ONLY OTHER CHILD, MY BROTHER WHO LIVES IN COLORADO.

I HAVEN'T looked for a landline phone in approximately 20 years Haven't needed to since cell phones took over the world. And, I expected to have o pay a lot. So my trusty mouse and I set off to buy a phone. The first 2 stores didn't have what I wanted, and what they had was with a hefty price tag. So, with trepidation, I went to the 3rd store, and under a sign saying "GIFTS UNDER $100.00" I FOUND IT- A PHONE THAT SEEMS PERFECT AS IT CLAIMS TO DO MORE than I required such as "picture frame" buttons which stores and dials ph nos. She won't even have to remember a number! All she has to do is press the female button to get me, or male for my brother! 

There were several different phones there for hearing impaired. But the one that most impressed me, and the one I'll probably get for myself, is a CAP-TEL PHONE. which displays the words that someone has just said to you on a large screen on the phone. These were not commercially available when I first saw them,, and they were not-under $100.00, so, yeh, I was impressed. So if you or someone you know has a hearing impairment, you may want to check out the phones that are now available for hearing or physically- handicapped people.

• ksmith pinned this topic