Jayallen

Six (6) years down...wow

I've been missing for awhile, well I'm back. I doing well I hope all is well with everyone.

Last Tuesday 11-12-19, I marked another milestone.  I am six (^) years post stroke.

I set aside time for solo contemplation.  Not thinking of my losses, but my accomplishments, I am amazed.

This group helped me so much over the years, I decided I needed to reconnect and see how everyone is doing.

Wow, Jayallen, six years is quite the accomplishment! Congratulations on your hard work! you have so much to be proud of!

Six years sounds good to Me! Congats!! During the fist few days (5 months ago) I thought death was close so its encouraging to hear yearly anniversaries.

Congrats Jayallen, it seems that the further out post stroke every day becomes a milestone and thankful to be around to share them. I wish you well and many more good years ahead!

Congratulations.  Head towards my 6 year in 2020.  Hope I'm good and do as well Jay.

Congratulations!

I'm so happy you are among the living once again lol

But honestly, congratulations on reaching such a milestone.  

Hi all I'm a new member I had my stroke back in August 2015 just over 4 years ago. I have been left with left side weakness I walk unaided with slight balance issues. Left arm and hand not much happening. Is there any cure for my left side weakness falling in to depression and losing hope of getting better. Please help 

Welcome Babu.  I'm sorry to hear you are depressed. It can be, for sure. I, too, walk unaided (sometimes unless I hold on to someones arm for long walks) and wobble most times like someone who is highly intoxicated  and with right side weakness, I was told to use a can ( walking stick) but I'm right handed so when I use my left hand, it is a horrible sight.

On 11/28/2019 at 4:01 AM, Babu said:

Is there any cure for my left side weakness falling in to depression and losing hope of getting better. Please help 

Babu,    In the first few months after a stroke a certain amount of repair work on one's muscles does happen slowly but automatically. After that it seems as though you are on your own and are expected to do the rest yourself. I am in my sixth year of recovery with right side failure and am still working on recovery. I'll admit that if one is right handed the situation is a little easier because all the tools and props for recovery are all there where you left them! Trying to get back to normality when your left side has been weakened would have to be a bit tougher but it is important that you persist.

Don't give up!

Deigh 

On 11/27/2019 at 10:01 AM, Babu said:

Hi all I'm a new member I had my stroke back in August 2015 just over 4 years ago. I have been left with left side weakness I walk unaided with slight balance issues. Left arm and hand not much happening. Is there any cure for my left side weakness falling in to depression and losing hope of getting better. Please help 

Hi Babu and welcome! I've been post stroke now almost 13yrs and still have those pesky left side numbness/weakness. For me, only a good bit of rehab after my stroke did I see really good strides. I pretty much reached a plateau after several years and only slight improvements over time by just staying as active as I can manage. There are those days I am however reminded of the weakness or numbness, when I do something that I guess is more muscle memory (forgetting the weakness/numbness) and drop something or knock things over with my left arm/hand. I have a topic called Angry Extremities someplace that goes into detail of one of those frustrating times of knocking stuff over because the use of my left hand. It's more a comment of the initial frustrations and the slight humor that followed.

These days it's more about the things I can still do than those "pesky deficits" mostly because there's not all too much I can do about them outside of minimal functioning. If you find yourself slipping into depression and/or feeling hopeless, please talk to some kind of professional if possible. There are medications that can aid in helping with the depression, and I've never avoided talking about my issues with a good therapist to help sort things. The very least, bring it here, we've all mostly experienced what you're dealing with, ask away. Just posting in this thread is a good start. Many, many fine folks that are always willing to share from their experiences. I was mostly quiet for the most part after joining many years ago and recently started posting more frequently, it's been eye-opening and rewarding to be with such good people who, like you and I, have been there or are going thru it currently and have some great wisdom they will share.

hey Babu :

welcome to best online stroke support group/ I have noticed in the stroke recovery if things are moving then start using  it & it will improve in its strength. I stroked in 2004 at age 34 which left me paralyzed on my left side,it was massive stroke & affected my middle cerebral artery which control major portion of hand function, though fortunately my left leg was behaving well from day 1 & left shoulder & elbow were also able to move but my left hand & wrist are worst  affected, luckily I am right handed person, so I am able to live well in 2 handed world. I can walk, talk & take care of my family single handely for last 15 years, & I am one grateful survivor, my life is richer today then before I enjoy & live life with full meaning & gratefulness. though I went through severe depression in the beginning till I found this site. I found blogging & chatting with other survivors therapeutic for my sol. we do have chats every day afternoon 3-4 EST & on evening from 8-9 EST in survivor room2& on friday in coffeeshop, join us & you will never feel alone again

Asha (now proud 50 year old survivor)

Hi Babu, Had my 9 year anniversary this year, My left arm is pretty useless I never regained use of the hand and have only limited (controlled) movement of the shoulder and elbow.  I stretch my arm and hand daily and do yoga and gym work that requires my arm to be at least partly functional but I also accept that it's not going to change much now. The muscle atrophy is going to be next to impossible to counteract even if I do get some signals going again. But you do nothing you get nothing so I keep asking it to do more.

Left leg has some restrictions still but I'm living independently, and working full time (office stuff). And pretty active.

I live a full life and use many adaptions for one handed living.  Depression can be a slippery slope get help for that. Talk to an OT about training to do the things you want to do again.  I may not do things as easily, quickly, or prettily as I like and used to but I still sew and paint and cook. Life is what you make it don't let this thing beat you. A useless arm/hand is not the end of the world unless you let it be.

Happy to pass on tips if you have  any specific questions.

Hang in there

-Heather