Pmurr

Survivor and mother of recent stroke victim

Hello. I’m so glad to find this forum! I suffered a TIA back in 2003 but I was one of the lucky ones who quickly overcame my speech issues and have mental issues few can detect. My 44 year old son, however, was not so fortunate. He suffered a massive ischemic stroke on Oct 9, 2019 and had a craniotomy to relieve swelling in his skull a couple of days later. He was fairly responsive the first day in the hospital, responding to basic commands. After surgery though he has been in a coma, not responsive at all. So now it’s been more than 30 days. Can anyone who has any experience in long comas following an ischemic stroke offer us any encouragement at all? The medical staff at the hospital paints a very bleak picture. 

Hi Patti,             Sorry, can't help with the problem,.....Just here to welcome you to the club, but there will be many other members with simiiar experiences who can assist you.

Deigh

Thank you Deigh

Patti, I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about your question. Sounds like you can only hope and pray. I will pray for both of you too. I also wanted to welcome you to Srokenet. Glad you found us too! Best, Becky 

Thank you Becky. I'm hoping someone on here has something to relate.

Hi Patti, and welcome. Though I had to have surgery to repair a ruptured aneurysm and they drilled and installed a drain also, my condition did not result in a coma. Brain swelling was a concern. I will certainly offer up prayer and a believer in miracles, faith has often pulled me through some rather dark times, it may sound trivial, but helped me a lot when there wasn't a lot of answers, or things were on a shoestring. 

Thanks so much, Will2. I do appreciate your response!

Patti, may I ask his name? Though I said a prayer for him, it always seems to me, at least, a little more personable when I use a first name. I know it may seem silly but it just seems to add a little more of my heart...thanks.

James Dustin Belk. And thank you again

You're welcome Patti.

Patti :

I am sorry my story is different than your son, but I know prayer does wonder, & James has his young age by his side, & with help of friends & family he will pull it through. I know I suffered stroke at age 34 which left me paralyzed on my left side, but I am still here & enjoying my family, & appreciating my second shot at life with total gratitude. our son who was 7 at the time of my stroke is now decided to become doctor & pursuing degree in medical field.

Asha

Thank you for your post and I am so happy that you are happy and enjoying life!

Hi Patti 

Scott's story may be more relatable than mine, so I won't bore you with the details!

Prayers for you, your son and the family. 

Patti,

My heart is aching for you have to watch your son in that condition.   I am thankful James is being well cared for and I will send prayer everyday as well as give, with your permission, his name to my mothers church prayer chain.

Yes please... we need all the prayers we can get.

Though I'm pretty homebound these days, I'll continue my dedication in prayer and please keep us informed as to any kind of changes and/or needs. More prayer traffic inbound..

Thank you so much.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:03 PM, Pmurr said:

Good Morning Patti, I belong to and have been a member of all things, a firearm enthusiasts forum for over 10yrs now. Despite the unpopular views concerning firearms I was raised as a kid with firearms my Dad being an avid trap/skeet and target shooter Veteran from WWII. They are a wonderful group of enthusiasts and a large population of Christians. They are almost 100k strong worldwide in membership and a wide range of interests, to include a thread topic about cats that has over 3 million views and 8,000 posts. Lots of photos and laughs from cat and animal lovers alike. :shy:

Anyway, I posted a thread topic calling to prayer for James and the membership has already started responding as expected from these guys for James. 

Thank you for that. I am a member of the group that doesn't really endorse firearms but James has always enjoyed collecting and did some hunting so he would probably really appreciate your group and as I previously stated, we need all the prayers we can get!☺️

I just checked and there is almost 3 pages of invisible internet friends answering the call to prayer for James. They are some of the finest people I've had the pleasure to know, and honored to be a part of their cyber community. Composed of doctors, lawyers, surgeons, military and law enforcement people and others of just about every walk of life.

This is a group that found out a year or so ago, that another member had lost his job and apartment out of misfortune, and was living in a broken down vehicle trying to get back on his feet. The membership reached out in his state of Virginia and we all collected almost $18,000 to assist and help him purchase a better vehicle and get into an apartment. He is now fully employed and looking for ways to help pay it forward  to another and pass on the blessing.

I myself have never hunted or carried a handgun, mine were used in sport target shooting until I no longer had the endurance for the rigors of the target ranges. I haven't used any in many years. I've since sold all but one and it's just gathering dust. After I'm gone the wife has expressed no desire to keep one at home. I've just respected and enjoyed them for sport.

On 11/30/2019 at 4:03 PM, Pmurr said:

Done and I've added him in my prayer circle in my meditation group  ❤️

while reading up on his situation I read some people do stay in a coma  for days or weeks while the brain heals itself.  I will pray his brain heals fast 

Thank you all...I have been moved literally to tears this morning for all the prayers and support for my James. He may be going home from the hospital today as they really can't do anything more for him now and his wife wants to care for him herself rather than send him off to the one nursing home that the VA found that would accept him with his trach. He had just begun a massive remodeling program on their house before the stroke and his wife has struggled to find contractors and the financing to complete it so he can be made comfortable on his arrival. I started a gofundme page to help her with it and so far we have collected about $2700 out of the estimated need of $5,000 so I once again find myself overwhelmed with gratitude. There are still so many kind and caring people out there!