scottm

No sharps for me

Doc called this morning after my blood draw yesterday to tell me my INR of 4.7 is more than twice my therapeutic range of 2. So no coumadin for 2 days and under doctors orders to avoid anything sharp that could cut me, if I hit my head go straight to the ER for imaging, blood in urine got to ER. Apparently they are concerned with my blood being so thin I could have internal bleeding from most anything. Guess who isn't carving the turkey tomorrow...but I get to spend our grandsons first Christmas with him. :big-grin:

I hope all sorts its self out, I hope that you don't become a giant bruise as well . No carving.. no washing dishes.. heck no anything

Bubble-Wrapped-3.png

Love the bubble wrap!!! It could even fit into the time of year! A big snowball 🙂 ! Scott I am wishing you a very cut free Christmas and enjoy the heck out of that grandson of yours!

Hi Scott talking of cuts I did a really "clever" one to myself on Christmas day.  (Sorry if this hijacks your thread)

I was on my own at our holiday home, making a salad that I was to share at our picnic in the Garden. This has become a tradition where my Mum, Dad and I, and any of their friends who have no family close by on the day get together in the local Botanic garden for a picnic.

I was running late (as usual these days) and using an unfamiliar knife. And somehow I managed to pick the knife up upside down. I have a very bad habit of using my index finger to apply extra pressure to a knife and keep it lined up, which is often necessary when you don't hold the object you are cutting with your other hand.

So I did this without even thinking, and when the knife didn't move as I pressed I realised that I'd just pressed my finger onto the blade of the knife!!  Our knives are all quite sharp, (I had them sharpened earlier this year, and my niece had sliced herself washing up at our family Christmas meal a couple of weeks earlier) so it didn't hurt as the knife was so sharp, but it certainly bled. Thank goodness Alanna had cut herself the other week, because it meant I'd stocked up on steri strips etc. I was able to get one on eventually and then a bandaid over it, but of course it was still bleeding quite a lot. And then I had one of those horrid fainting spells that happens when your body is going into shock. I managed not to fall on the floor, and grabbed the phone and called my Dad, thank goodness he had his mobile on. So he came and got me and I didn't need to go to the hospital, and I didn't need to drive the car.  It's now healing nicely, although it's quite deep (about 5mm).

I certainly don't recommend cutting your primary finger on your good hand when you only have one hand that works.

Scott I do hope you enjoyed your grandson's first Christmas!  My grand niece had her first Christmas this year too, I got to have a cuddle when she crashed out (I'm not game to hold her, when she's not asleep, she's only 4 months old)

Owww!  That sounds really nasty!

I've cut myself often (pre- and post-stroke), but never as badly as this.  I hope that it heals soon and clean.

I've done some doozies over the years post stroke ones seem to be more memorable, This is the second bad one The last one I had to have stitches. That was in interesting conversation with the Dr who couldn't seem to grasp the impossibility of keeping a finger on my good hand clean and dry for a week. He eventually got it after my sister spelled it out in words of one syllable.  And we ended up leaving it open to the air so it would dry when it got wet and I had to be careful to clean it properly at least once a day. You can barely see where that one was now.

I survived the day with no blood loss or stitches thanks to our son who got to be the turkey carver for the first time. The grandson (his son) was a delight and we all had a great time. Now back to the wife as today is our 25th anniversary of her putting up with me.

Congrats on your wedding anniversary. You must have been married on the first of January, which in many countries is a public holiday. Am I correct?

I have avoided kitchen duties (apart from washing up) for quite a while so as to avoid the danger of clumsy knife handling. Just at this time a brick has been thrown in the works with my wife having a fractured right arm in plaster. Problems will have to be solved!

Deigh

1 hour ago, scottm said:

I survived the day with no blood loss or stitches thanks to our son who got to be the turkey carver for the first time. The grandson (his son) was a delight and we all had a great time. Now back to the wife as today is our 25th anniversary of her putting up with me.

Hi Scott, and congratulations on your milestone anniversary! Since I've been taking a low dose aspirin as part of my heart med maintenance. I usually try to stay away from those tasks that involve sharper objects since the aspirin will tend to thin the blood I am told. For the most part though, since my stroke affected arm/hand is my left I can get away with using a fork to stabilize with the left, and use my good (right) hand for doing any carving. The majority of my nicks or cuts usually happen on my legs. Especially since I live in South Florida and wear shorts about 99% of the time. I did eventually purchase that liquid bandage that applies with a small like fingernail brush for those small bleeders and seems to do the job adequately and quickly, just clean wipe and apply with the brush, dries very fast.

Good luck in the upcoming years and enjoy your current anniversary and a great New Year!

Deigh/W2,

We were married on New Years Eve. I do have a set of kevlar knife proof gloves I wear around knives that I got from Amazon. They've saved me many times.

Congrats on the anniversary Scott. One of my other friends also got married Dec 31. It makes it easy to remember the date and you know you'll always have a party to go to on your anniversary.

Don't tell my sister about those gloves she'll make me get some (she's the one who usually ends up picking up the pieces when I do something silly.) They are a good idea but I'd be sure to forget most of the time.

Will, Asprin doesn't "thin" the blood like the stuff that Scott takes, but it does slow clotting which is partly why I'm always covered in bruises. I have spray on bandaid film like your paint. But it only works for shallow stuff, great for grazes and scratches but not so good for the deeper stuff. Although I did use it once the cut stopped bleeding to stop stuff getting into it, these days when you take the kids to the ER they use superglue rather than stitches too.

Happy 25th anniversary Scott and Scott's wife! Heather I'm always covered in bruises too (325mg aspirin) and cuts and scrapes bleed longer than they used to. Aspirin can, however, really eat your stomach lining which is a negative for me since I gave always had stomach trouble. So I use enteric coated and take a prescription proton pump inhibiter and sometimes Zantac too. 😒 I'm glad I don't have to get tested all the time like with some blood thinners but I'm not sure if I may have to change one day. I always feel like I'm teetering as far as stomach pain goes. 😕 OK lol I just almost ruined my happy message! So one more time! Happy Anniversary Scott! 25 years! Absolutely a wonderful milestone! 🎉🎊🎈

BTW Happy New Year's! 🥂

I'm not much of a medication taker. I usually try an avoid it "if" I can just because over the years having one kidney I had concerns, especially certain ones that have side effects that even slightly disagree with me. When I had this minor heart attack, the cardiologist in the hospital said I needed to take a low dose 81mg aspirin and metoprolol for at least two years. I naturally preferred not to and did have a small reaction to the metoprolol so I had that dosage reduced. The doc said the aspirin would have some blood thinning properties and there would be some bruising. That was an understatement, it seems that if I brush against something or hit my hand against something, instant bruise! I'll be glad when the two years is up in the Sept of this New Year. Though they had to clean out a blocked valve and a stent, I do feel a bit better, but ever since I was relegated to pain management and opioids for a few years awhile back, those side effects were the worst and since, I have even a more sensitive aversion to taking any medications unless really necessary. 

Tracy 325mg asprin daily does sound like a lot. I take a daily 100mg enteric coated asprin, which is called a cardio asprin here. I have a PPI script because of my gall bladder removal, but I find I don't need to take it most of the time, unless I eat something too rich.

Happy Anniversary, Scott.  May you both have many, many more!

Heather I have asked about the mg many times but due to my particular stroke it is the standard treatment to help prevent another...or other blood thinners that may even be worse side effect wise. I digress, I keep on keeping on and deal with what comes (i.e. stomach issues) and just keep my medical very aware of everything (I have a gastroenterologist) in case something needs to be addressed. So far, other than some increase in tummy issues, I've been ok. Fingers crossed it stays that way! 🙂

Not much else you can do, we take what we are told to and hope the "cure" is worth the side effects we put up with.

18 hours ago, heathber said:

Not much else you can do, we take what we are told to and hope the "cure" is worth the side effects we put up with.

Indeed. Just came back from the docs who discontinued a medication due to side effects being worse than the symptoms.