2ndChance

How to find Caregiver?

Anyone know how to find a caregiver?  I'm starting to have trouble dressing, cooking for myself and I've started falling down a lot.  I have no spouse, no children, and am an only child, I live alone and my parents are too old to be of assistance and refuse to move in with me or take me in.  I've tried government agencies but they say I am inlegible because my disability benefits are too high.  Yet, I cannot afford to hire a company to move in and assist me.  Any ideas?

I had a similar problem with my mother,  who had different issues than you have but needed someone to assist her with things like getting a bath, cooking, and light housework. An Assisted Living Center was definitely what she needed, but what she wanted was independent living, and I was determined to give it to her.

I started by running an ad in the local newspaper for no bills, completely free living, plus $800.00/mo., in exchange for caregiving. I  thought that this was a fair if not generous offer Apparently not because I had only one responder. I checked her criminal records and references she checked out, so I hired her. She quit 1 month later. Apparently, all she wanted was a quick and easy way to make $800. and leave. I had to fire the next two caregivers I hired. But, the third one was a charm, who helped me put together a team of 3- a dayshift, night shift, and weekend caretaker who all worked for us for the next 5 yrs, when my mother ran out of money. But I don't regret it even though it was very costly, because my mother was very happy, and well taken care of. My advice is to be as flexible as you can be, and willing to compromise

It is doable. Best of luck, becky

How about a university student, if you live within easy commute of a campus? Advertise for a share house mate who can also do some assistance, particularly with meals.  It depends a bit on how much actual help you need with personal activities.

if in Australia try www.hireup.com.au

it is an online platform for people with disability to find, hire and manage support workers who fit their needs and share their interests.