I find I am struggling with waking up in the morning....my eyes open around 7am, then I fight to keep the open and get out of the warm bed.

Especially now in Winter. Maybe Im a bear and need to hibernate, but truly it takes 30 minutes for me to motivate rising.I deep breathe and try to stay awake, but often fall back for 20 or 30 minutes,

This after 7 to 9 hours of sound sleep.Do I need a bucket of water over my head? 

No, sounds exceptionally normal to me...except for the time!

I normally get up around 9.30am.

If I need to wake up before my body and brain are ready, it's like a half hour process of fog removal. 

Very frustrating, but I have given in. Might as well have the extra half hour of sleep/wake than walk around in a daze. 

3 hours ago, GreenQueen said:

No, sounds exceptionally normal to me...except for the time!

agreed. I let my body dictate my wake up time.. unless I have an appointment :)

Sleep That is one that keeps changing with me. 7 hours seems to be perfect but there are times 11 feels right. I can function fine on 4 without a nap but for only one day. There were a couple days in a row last week I was up around 7, drank coffee, ate a little something and had my 15 minute bike ride and small lifting routine done by noon. Fooled again thinking things were changing for good. This week thinking of doing that again was exhausting and I was back doing my duties around 3 in the afternoon. Today I didn't have it at all and would have thought the day a total failure except I changed the house water filter and furnace filter plus started the snow thrower and the riding mower and moved them from the shed to the garage. I'm at peace!

I am a "creature of habit" and always awaken somewhere between 7 and7:30 AM. Except about the same time every year I start getting up at the usual time, relieve my bladder as always, then go back to bed! I think I JUST GET SICK AND TIRED OF THE WINTER, AND BEING COLD, So I sleep for an hour or two then get up. When it warms up, I just naturally fall back into my schedule.

I'm working on good sleep habits becky1. I'm trying to become more of a creature of habit myself. Going to bed earlier and around the same time. It's important for me to understand that changing habits and routines dosn't just happen over night and to be patient and let the habit or routine become just that, a habit and routine. Well glory be the sun just showed itself in SE Michigan. Yea!  I'm with you on the hibernating thing alansd. Go with it, it's allowed I feel because so much has been taken from some of us never to be given back.

Trying to be a creature of habit is sooooo hard!!

That's my aim, too.

One day....*sigh*

I figure If I need to sleep I'm better to sleep if I can. So it's a balancing act between what HAS to be done and what the body would like to do. Very hard just now as I've just had a month holiday, and the work habit is broken.

The habits of routine (including work, school etc) are easily broken and so very hard to fix.

Connor has just gone back to school after 6 weeks holidays.  

Our long break from school is generally called the Christmas holidays. 

Anyway, Connor likes routine, so went to bed every night at 11pm, instead of school nights time of 10pm. Wasn't hard for him to adjust back.

He doesn't get his dedication from me.

I have little control over my sleep, by 9.30 at night I'm unable to concentrate and slope off to bed leaving my wife to watch reruns of the Antique Road Show . I am asleep within five minutes....but it doesn't always last long and I can be awake and taking another toilet run within the hour. If I'm fortunate I get 8 hours sleep with frequent toilet calls. For no apparent reason any one of those calls can result in my staying awake for ages. I have formulated a whole stack of tricks to get back to sleep. Sometimes non of them work and I'm forced through discomfort to rise.

At the moment I'm following a pattern of waking about 5am and refusing to get up listen to my USB of jazz recordings. It is highly unlikely that this will let me return to the land of Nod but at least its resting.

By lunchtime again I'm struggling to stay awake and a nap is essential. This can be anything from 15 minutes to over an hour, but it gives me enough energy to handle the rest of the day.

Whilst writing this I'm not convinced the stroke is completely responsible, I live in a small community where most residents are pensioners. If I  look out of my window any time of night I can be fairly sure that someone else's light will be on, indicating that they are awake too. It could be that age is also a factor.

Deigh 

Deigh the interrupted sleep is the worst.