So today I went to this diabetes thing called Connect with Diabetes. 

Very very interesting. 

Since I was diagnosed, I've never really given it much thought. Decided Future Self could worry about it.

After today....no. Today Self has to be involved. 

What I did find interesting, was the deficits that are the same as stroke.

Fatigue 

Lethargy 

Incontinence 

Vision problems 

There were possibly others, but the session was so overwhelming with information I can't remember everything. 

I just found it interesting to think that stroke can hide other chronic conditions. 

It's always fascinating (to me anyway) how things are connected.  Glad you had a good session, I hope you are/were able to get a transcript/ notes to go back to later. Diabetes is not a small thing and I'm glad to hear you are going to pay it a bit more attention now. Looking after yourself is important.

Thankfully Heather they had a folder, thicker than War and Peace, with so much information in.

Yes, serious stuff. Food choices are boring I have to admit, but I'm gonna do it. 

doesn't have to be boring. It's mostly about learning which are your good choices and ways to combine things you hadn't thought of. Don't try to be perfect, but do try to understand consequences of decisions so you can weigh up short term pain or pleasure with long term consequences. Read your book in little bursts and take notes to help you to remember the key points.  Remember this is a long term change not a "diet" so whatever you choose to do make it sustainable.

You got this girl!

6 hours ago, heathber said:

Remember this is a long term change not a "diet" so whatever you choose to do make it sustainable.

That's what I remind myself every time I feel like something I'm trying to give up.

I refuse to give up chocolate milk, although I only have homemade these days.

Diabeties and weight loss compatible chocolate milk.

Use a good dark chocolate (I like the Lindt 70% "dessert" chocolate that you get from the cooking aisle) and an unsweetened "nut milk" I use Nutty Bruce Almond and Coconut milk. https://drinkbruce.com/our-products.html just melt the chocolate (I cheat and use the microwave, just be careful not to burn the choc) and mix in the milk. This makes a really nice chocolate "milk" that you can drink hot or cold and its low in fat and sugar (although also low protein so not good for appetite suppression) but high in antioxidants etc. and good for gut health.

Heather that sounds so healthy! 🤣

Yes, I do agree though, I need to make my choc milk better for my health. 

My doctor will love you...he's been trying to get me to up my game for ages! (Years!)

Give me excessive amounts of sugar!!

I knew it wouldn't be easy...but man!!

I'm determined though. 

Normally I would just think Bugger this, I'll start tomorrow. 

But no more. 

After seeing what is happening on the inside...

Yep first week is hard! Trick is to go super low carb until the gut resets its expectations. remember all carbs convert to sugar. And you need to detox/withdraw. Look up keto diet on the web if you need suggestions on how to manage the first bit. I find paleo breads and crackers quite tasty, although not the texture you are used to. Paleo and vegan options are much more readily available these days, and are useful for doing the sort of reset you need at the moment.

Hang in there is does get better. yell out if you need other suggestions for swap outs like the milk.