jwalt

Pandemic Quarantine

We live in a senior retirement complex.  Even though we are "independent", we are voluntarily staying in our apartment.  They bring us our meals from the facility kitchen.  The food is good and we love our apartment - so what is the problem?  Boredom and lonesomeness.  I had arranged for a "stroke survivor discussion group" and our first meeting was scheduled for the first night of our being sequestered.

I am sure all of you wherever you live are suffering from pandemic restrictions or the disease itself.  Take care of your selves.  This is just another thing to survive and overcome.

James

James all the best with the self isolation. 

Do you read? That can be tiresome too, after a while.

I feel, as I'm sure you will understand, there's a huge difference in staying home and being MADE to stay home.

I'm very happy at home.

I have my pets, my card making, my fridge...

But making myself stay home is proving difficult. 

Green Queen,

You have hit the nail on the head.  It is not the staying  but the requirement for staying.  But I see some others who are sneaking out and by doing so they are endangering all the rest of us.  So we will stay sequestered and make the best of it.  You spoke of pets, we have a chocolate lab and take her walking several times a day - that helps.  But we make sure to keep our distance from anyone else we meet.  To all of you, keep yourselves and yours safe during this trying time for our world.

James

On 3/21/2020 at 5:50 PM, GreenQueen said:

here's a huge difference in staying home and being MADE to stay home.

Thats definitely right, I 'm a bit bored just knowing there is no alternative!

Deigh

I have been self isolating for three weeks now. I set myself three tasks a day, nothing big, cleaning out a drawer, pulling up some weeds in the garden, sorting photographs.  I have a lot of fun sorting photographs as each one has a memory attached. I spend time on the Internet, Facebook, this site, several others I enjoy, I ring friends, even write letters, I am able to post them within walking distance of here. I enjoy sitting on my verandah and reading, having an afternoon nap, watching some mindless TV. I guess being a widow has made me less susceptible to loneliness. Who would have thought that would be a positive?

James and Deigh, I think Sue has got it in one.

Setting daily tasks.

I feel as though I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

So, I need to write a list of jobs I would like to do, and break them down into what's achievable daily.

I'll start thinking about what needs doing. 

Tomorrow!

😁

My wife has been sewing masks for everyone she knows, as a way of dealing with the anxiety and the "locked in syndrome".  She's getting pretty good at them, too.  Now that the family is done, she's going to start making more for the neighbours.

They're obviously not surgical-grade, but apparently between two and four layers of cloth just the risk of infection significantly (if there is virus around).

Sounds like a good idea Paul. I think they would have to be washed frequently so maybe two per person would be good. I hate wearingn a mask but was asked to do so on my last hospital visit. You have to go with current thinking and we do live in uncertain times.

A good friend has made masks for us, I'm very grateful. 

Scomo has said we don't need them just yet, although a lot of people in town are starting to wear them.

😷

The word from experts this morning is to remember the germs are on the outside of the mask so when you take them off drop them into an antibacterial solution by the fastening and dry them in direct sunlight before using them again. The point is to keep yourself safe so if you feel wearing a mask helps it is right for you.

Sue I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it or not.

I can't decide. Two people in my town have been tested, and tomorrow they will have the all clear.

It's a little surreal. 

Scomo says don't wear one unless you are sick but that is mostly about not wanting to create a shortage for hospital staff who need them (multiples of them per day). But European research says that if everyone wears one whenever they leave the house it significantly reduces the community transmission, even though it's not fully effective at blocking all particles.

The masks haven't turned up yet Heather, but yes. That makes sense. 

I should wear it when going out.

😷