becky1

A WORD ON CORONA VIRUS AND YOU

I've been contemplating this topic for a few days now, and finally decided to go ahead and submit it because it's so very important and necessary, especially to the newbies. Did you know that because you've had a stroke you may be considered to be "At Risk?" Strokes can affect our immune systems and make us a little more susceptible than the average person to colds, flu, and viruses. What this means for you is that you need to be extra-vigilant in following the precautions that we've all seen everywhere: Wash your hands frequently, don't go out of your home if you don't need to, and avoid crowds.

But my main concern was that the newbies to stroke may not know that they are at risk, and miss opportunities because of their lack of knowledge. The government has reported that they may have found a drug that halts the virus.?"(Actually, it was China which found out that a drug used to treat malaria may be effective in treating coronavirus). If history repeats itself, a vaccine to prevent it won't be far behind.; And supplies of everything have been running way behind the need. So if a vaccine is developed it will probably be triaged. Meaning that it will be offered to children and at-risk people first.

That last sentence was the main reason for writing this overly-long post. I DIDN'T WANT ANYONE TO REFUSE A VACCINE when it becomes available JUST because they didn't know that they were At Risk. I also didn't want to create a panic, and have everyone going to their doctor. Just because you are at-risk doesn't mean that you will get the virus, it just means that you need to follow the recommended precautions.   Becky

''''''''''''''

Hi, Becky, thanks so much for all this valuable information! 

I'm worried sick about my husband, because I go to work daily, and so afraid of bringing this dreaded virus home to him. I work in healthcare, not direct patient contact though, but I'm still amonst people who might spread it. A vaccine for him would be wonderful, and I'll definitely ask his doctor about that. I hope you're doing good and staying well, also. Take care of yourselves, everyone!  These are scary times, for sure!

Thank you for your kind words, Ana. I was so scared to post this because everyone is scared, and the last thing that I wanted to do was to set off a panic reaction.  We have enough fear already. From what I read, I gathered they think that they may have stumbled across a drug to treat the virus, but not one to prevent it-yet. I wish that they would find a preventative faster, but these things take time.    Best, Becky

Thank you Becky, for the information. 

Thank you Becky for this information. I had no idea so I really appreciate your post. Stay safe everyone. Robyn

thank you for posting this. I had the same questions . about Covid and stroke because some of the symptoms are what I deal with on a regular and now I'm hyper vigilant. I Quarantine from my vacation. My sister is waiting for her results and I am waiting for my mother and I stayed with her . So  its scary.

To the medicine.. it's still in the works, from what I understand.  Don't take anything that you think will work. That poor couple that tried to take some meds to prevent this virus and it , sadly, killed the husband and the wife is still in ICU , scary

Thank you Becky for putting light on this subject. I know I am in the high risk group (asthma, stroke history, diabetes, well controlled high blood pressure) so I have been vigilant and at home for at least 2 weeks now. It's important that new survivors get the info that they may be immuno compromised especially so early in the journey. Just to add something (I am only passing on what I have read in recent reputable posts on Covid-19 but it is still totally 3rd party) several persons from a medical perspective have relayed that the worse cases have all shown ibuprofen in their system probably self administered med when starting to feel ill. More than a few have said to avoid ibuprofen for the time being and use acetaminophen/paracetamol only. Thankfully, I'm not allowed to take ibuprofen and only use Tylenol. Just a possible precaution. Stay safe, wash your hands often, and inside is best. ❤️