Hello, my name is carlton. I had my stroke 1 yr and 3 weeks ago. Im here to get information, guidance and i want to be around other people who have the same issues ive had and be a bright spot for anyone whos needs supposed. Im still re-learning how to use my computer. 😆

Hi Carlton,  I'm Jay  welcome to the group.

Sorry you had a stroke, 

You don't need to apologize about your computer skills or anything else.

This is the most nonjudgmental group you will ever encounter.

Visit often, questions are welcome, no medical advice, given here other than talk to your doctor.

We are each on our own Journey.

Share your victories, no matter how small they may seem.  Those small victories grow into big ones.  We love to celebrate victories, 

My stroke was 6.5 years ago.  I always return here when I need a boost.

Be well stay strong,

Jay

Carlton, You sound like a very upbeat, positive person, and those characteristics will help you a lot when you're on the stroke recovery journey.

Your needs are so in line with what we try to do here- to offer support to other survivors by answering their questions if we can, to cheer them on when needed, and to listen to them, and hear their frustrations and joys.  So, WELCOME to Strokenet!    Becky 

41 minutes ago, Jayallen said:

Hi Carlton,  I'm Jay  welcome to the group.

Sorry you had a stroke, 

You don't need to apologize about your computer skills or anything else.

This is the most nonjudgmental group you will ever encounter.

Visit often, questions are welcome, no medical advice, given here other than talk to your doctor.

We are each on our own Journey.

Share your victories, no matter how small they may seem.  Those small victories grow into big ones.  We love to celebrate victories, 

My stroke was 6.5 years ago.  I always return here when I need a boost.

Be well stay strong,

Jay

Thank you sooo much

4 minutes ago, becky1 said:

Carlton, You sound like a very upbeat, positive person, and those characteristics will help you a lot when you're on the stroke recovery journey.

Your needs are so in line with what we try to do here- to offer support to other survivors by answering their questions if we can, to cheer them on when needed, and to listen to them, and hear their frustrations and joys.  So, WELCOME to Strokenet!    Becky 

I try... Its hard to shine at times, but i cant help it... Shine on!!!

hi Carlton :

welcome to wonderful online stroke support group,  & it was great meeting you in chat today. now that you found us you will never feel alone or different. I stroked at age 34 which left me paralyzed on my left side & retired me from the job I loved, for me more than stroke retiring from job was big blow to me, I never knew how much of my identity was wrapped in the work I did & money I made, suddenly I felt worthless, luckily having supportive spouse & young kid who was just 7 at the time  & my family, friends & this site, I found my joy back, today after 16 years on this post stroke journey, i realize my life is just different  not good or bad its just different.

I struggled hard to find my new normal after stroke  & even after having supportive spouse  & family, I still felt very lonely & isolated, finding this support group was god-sent me & it helped me  feel not so alone or weird.

I found blogging on this site & chatting with other survivors very therapeutic for my soul . we do have scheduled chats every day in the afternoon from 3-4 EST in stroke support room #2 & in the evening from 8-9 PM EST on M,W & F. friday we have chats in the coffeshop in the evening though M,W its in survivor room #2. hope to see you there soon.

Asha (now 50 year old survivor)

I asha..!!! I remember you...lol... Thank you for being pleasant and the people i talking to from the site were great. I really feel i can get the answers that i needs on this site. I will be online as much as i cam to learn and laugh. 

Hi Carlton so glad you found us, it's not good that you needed to but we all know that attitude is everything in this unexpected marathon we are all engaged in. 1 yr 3 months is just starting on this thing it's unlike any other "illness" you've ever been exposed to so don't be surprised when your recovery doesn't meet anyone's expectations including your own. But be prepared to keep working if you want to keep seeing improvements.

I'm coming up to my 10 year anniversary this August, and I still see functional improvements. It's very slow and takes a lot of work but it happens. Also be prepared to adapt the way you do things while you relearn the movements or functions that are currently impaired. Doing things in a different way to the rest of the world is not failure. It doesn't matter how you do it, it matters that you do it. Take your time and be kind to yourself. come and visit us as often as you like we are just as happy to celebrate victories as to help you rant and rave at a world that doesn't understand us.

-Heather

So we'll said.  I tell survived when I volunteer at the hospital back to it when I can.  It won't be fast not easy, but there will be improvements.  In due time. Keep Fighting.

52 minutes ago, HostAsha said:

hi Carlton :

welcome to wonderful online stroke support group,  & it was great meeting you in chat today. now that you found us you will never feel alone or different. I stroked at age 34 which left me paralyzed on my left side & retired me from the job I loved, for me more than stroke retiring from job was big blow to me, I never knew how much of my identity was wrapped in the work I did & money I made, suddenly I felt worthless, luckily having supportive spouse & young kid who was just 7 at the time  & my family, friends & this site, I found my joy back, today after 16 years on this post stroke journey, i realize my life is just different  not good or bad its just different.

I struggled hard to find my new normal after stroke  & even after having supportive spouse  & family, I still felt very lonely & isolated, finding this support group was god-sent me & it helped me  feel not so alone or weird.

I found blogging on this site & chatting with other survivors very therapeutic for my soul . we do have scheduled chats every day in the afternoon from 3-4 EST in stroke support room #2 & in the evening from 8-9 PM EST on M,W & F. friday we have chats in the coffeshop in the evening though M,W its in survivor room #2. hope to see you there soon.

Asha (now 50 year old survivor)

15 minutes ago, heathber said:

Hi Carlton so glad you found us, it's not good that you needed to but we all know that attitude is everything in this unexpected marathon we are all engaged in. 1 yr 3 months is just starting on this thing it's unlike any other "illness" you've ever been exposed to so don't be surprised when your recovery doesn't meet anyone's expectations including your own. But be prepared to keep working if you want to keep seeing improvements.

I'm coming up to my 10 year anniversary this August, and I still see functional improvements. It's very slow and takes a lot of work but it happens. Also be prepared to adapt the way you do things while you relearn the movements or functions that are currently impaired. Doing things in a different way to the rest of the world is not failure. It doesn't matter how you do it, it matters that you do it. Take your time and be kind to yourself. come and visit us as often as you like we are just as happy to celebrate victories as to help you rant and rave at a world that doesn't understand us.

-Heather

Thank you heather. I need more support in my life. 

36 minutes ago, Jayallen said:

So we'll said.  I tell survived when I volunteer at the hospital back to it when I can.  It won't be fast not easy, but there will be improvements.  In due time. Keep Fighting.

💪🏿

Hey Carlton! Pleasure to meet you. This is a really great group of people. Looking forward to seeing you more. I saw that you joined chat today. I am also a chat host (Mon & Wed 3-4 EST) come visit some time! ⌨️💬👍🏻 We have a lot of fun. 

4 hours ago, HostTracy said:

Hey Carlton! Pleasure to meet you. This is a really great group of people. Looking forward to seeing you more. I saw that you joined chat today. I am also a chat host (Mon & Wed 3-4 EST) come visit some time! ⌨️💬👍🏻 We have a lot of fun. 

Hello Tracy. Ive gotten so much info in 3 days. Im happy i found it. I plan to see you there in the future.

Hello, and welcome Carlton! I'm post stroke now 13yrs and still hanging in there. When I retired from my job shortly after stroking, I found I had plenty of time to sharpen my computer skills so enjoy the journey. Things to include your computer skills will improve along with your stroke recovery. I'm 68yrs old and this dog is still learning new tricks:2thumbs:

Hi Carlton, It was fantastic to meet you in chat yesterday.  I think you're in the best place.

2 hours ago, ksmith said:

Hi Carlton, It was fantastic to meet you in chat yesterday.  I think you're in the best place.

Thanks

5 hours ago, will2 said:

Hello, and welcome Carlton! I'm post stroke now 13yrs and still hanging in there. When I retired from my job shortly after stroking, I found I had plenty of time to sharpen my computer skills so enjoy the journey. Things to include your computer skills will improve along with your stroke recovery. I'm 68yrs old and this dog is still learning new tricks:2thumbs:

Thats great...

16 hours ago, Ctcook said:

Hello Tracy. Ive gotten so much info in 3 days. Im happy i found it. I plan to see you there in the future.

👍🏻👍🏻🎊🎉AWESOME!!! 🎉🎊👍🏻👍🏻 It was great to see you in chat earlier today! Hope to see you back soon!