Greetings! I'm Margo and I had a right side lacunar stroke on Jan. 17th. I have been home from rehab since Feb 6th.I was in a wheelchair with almost no movement of the left arm. I'm currently walking with a cane only outside and my arm is well on its way. I'm determined to push every day and inspire myself and others if I can. I  am still working (never stopped). It's nice to meet everyone!  🙂

Hi Margo! My name is Tracy and live in Tennessee. I had a bilateral cerebellar stroke June 5, 2015. I am so amazed of your progress! You have such a great attitude and I'm looking forward to future posts. I promise you... You ARE an inspiration! Kep it up... You've got this! 

Hi Tracy,

How nice it is to "meet" you! Thank you for you words of encouragement because they mean so much.

M

Hi Margo 

Awesome progress!

Looking forward to sharing with you. 

On 4/27/2020 at 7:31 AM, GreenQueen said:

Hi Margo 

Awesome progress!

Looking forward to sharing with you. 

Thank you so much!

Hi, Margo, YOU HAVE AN AWESOME ATTITUDE, AND IT WILL HELP YOU GET THROUGH THE RECOVERY PROCESS. yOU'RE OFF TO A GREAT START. jUST KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU'R DOING BECAUSE IT'S WORKING! best of luck to you, becky.

Hi Margo!  I too had a right side lacunar.  Keep pushing & fighting... but be sure to extend yourself plenty of grace along the way.

Eric 

Thank you Becky! Your support is wonderful.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:14 AM, razrbak94 said:

Hi Margo!  I too had a right side lacunar.  Keep pushing & fighting... but be sure to extend yourself plenty of grace along the way.

Eric 

Hi Eric,

Your mention of giving myself grace very timely.I pushed very hard in PT and OT this week. I went to the grocery store. I'm driving myself. I walked 40 minutes (cane). Then I spent two days so sore that it was hard to move. I'm so glad that I get this way because it means I'm able to push hard.

Margo

Hi Margo pushing hard is great, but pushing too hard can actually set you back. When you've done too much you make yourself vulnerable to falls and viruses as your immune system gets stressed along with everything else.  Many stroke survivors learn the hard way that fighting off a simple thing like the common cold now takes much longer than before.  Remember your brain now has to work much harder to achieve the same results.  Be kind to yourself, and balance your efforts.

15 hours ago, heathber said:

Hi Margo pushing hard is great, but pushing too hard can actually set you back. When you've done too much you make yourself vulnerable to falls and viruses as your immune system gets stressed along with everything else.  Many stroke survivors learn the hard way that fighting off a simple thing like the common cold now takes much longer than before.  Remember your brain now has to work much harder to achieve the same results.  Be kind to yourself, and balance your efforts.

I am sure you have spoken wise words. I am just so fearful of falling and being worn down that I need to push myself out of my comfort zone. It's where I make the biggest gains. I am taking good care of myself, eating right, sleeping, exercise. Thank you for your concern.

You reminded me of the period shortly after my stroke.  It had little physical (visible) toll on me- just made me very weak.  I really wanted the heck out of the hospital the following day, I remember how much effort it took me to walk down the hall, unassisted, to show I was good to go.  I tried to make it look as cool and effortless as possible, on the inside I was like "what in the hell!!! why is this so hard???".  Got home and proceeded to jump back into my normal routine to prove to everyone, including myself, that nothing had happened.  I remember being up on a step ladder working in my shop when my wife came driving in, she lost her ever loving mind on me.  

I've built a good bit of strength back, primarily through weight training and hard core landscaping... happy where I'm at.  I do still struggle with not being as mentally sharp as I was or need to be to perform at the level I hold myself to.  I find have started to give myself a little bit more slack and have implemented tools & habits to help me out.   Hopefully you can gain something from my rambling. 

On 4/17/2020 at 11:13 PM, trigdragon said:

Greetings! I'm Margo and I had a right side lacunar stroke on Jan. 17th. I have been home from rehab since Feb 6th.I was in a wheelchair with almost no movement of the left arm. I'm currently walking with a cane only outside and my arm is well on its way. I'm determined to push every day and inspire myself and others if I can. I  am still working (never stopped). It's nice to meet everyone!  🙂

Hi Margo. To learn you have progressed as well as you have warms my heart... truly. You are an inspiration!!! Don't push yourself to hard. You will, as well as all of us, be able to share your milestones!!!!!!🙌💪

On 5/16/2020 at 3:49 AM, trigdragon said:

I am just so fearful of falling and being worn down that I need to push myself out of my comfort zone. It's where I make the biggest gains. I am taking good care of myself, eating right, sleeping, exercise.

Exactly been there done that. You do need to push out of the comfort zone, but you don't want to cripple yourself doing it.  You don't know what you can't do until you try.  But having the plan in place for baking off if you've taken too big a step is also necessary.  It's about risk management and risk mitigation without being stuck in your cocoon. (this from the silly idiot who nearly broke her nose and her glasses trying to move a heavy box on the weekend, was pushing it with my shoulder while crawling, because I didn't want to ask for help. I need to take my own advice 🙂 )

I'm looking back at all this great advice that I received. Worth more than I can say. I'm walking without a cane now. I got up and down on the floor in PT. I took a real bath! I'm going to practice this more outside the bath. I'm gardening, hauled tree branches over the pasture, and caught a naughty chicken outside her rub. I'm much improved but still have a long ways to go.

M

Hi Margo.

Good going with your progress. Nice of you to acknowledge the advice.  I too have got many pointers and advice from this site.  

GOOD GOING, MARGO. kEEP GOING. yOU'RE DOING GREAT!   Becky

I second that GO MARGO GO. I'm very good at getting up and down from the floor but would be very wary of taking a real bath. slippery surfaces, super scary. Nice to hear your news and progress.

Hello Margo! Everybody has different recoveries and rates. Looking back I found my best recovery work was immediately following stroke. Both in-patient and even a few months out-patient. As previously mentioned, give yourself recovery rest from stroke fatigue if needed. I felt my best after fatigue sleep, rested and ready for more rehab. Your doing great, keep up the good work, and be encouraged by all you have accomplished, Lord knows we all understand what your going thru and this is a great site for understanding and receiving the encouragement when needed. One of the most unique things is that everybody's stroke is different and the areas affected, but there are so many common issues that we share too. Recovery and rehab is no different, everybody's path may have been different but we all shared so many of the same struggles both physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Even for those with years post stroke, we have different daily coping mechanisms and everybody here shares valuable lessons and "how-to's" when getting tasks accomplished or just some valuable wisdom and insights. 

I wish you well in your path of recovery, stay the course and share your stories. Thank you for your post!

On 7/15/2020 at 11:25 PM, trigdragon said:

I took a real bath!

That must have been heaven

Hi Margo :

welcome to best online stroke support group, I am sorry you had need to find us but now you found us you will never feel alone again. being young stroke survivor has its benefits, you can rebuild your new normal to your  contentment

I found blogging on this site & chatting with other survivors very therapeutic for my soul . we do have scheduled chats every day in the afternoon from 3-4 EST in stroke support room #2 & in the evening from 8-9 PM EST on M,W & F. on Friday we have chats in the coffeshop in the evening though M,W its in survivor room #2. hope to see you there soon.

& your determination you will be able to build your great new normal, you might achieve things differently than some other people, but important thing is job gets done.

hope to see you in our chatroom soon.

Asha