Not sure exactly how this works. I had several strokes. Don't know much more then hospitalized for it six years ago. The hospital wouldn't recognise the strokes only treated me for heart failure. All I know for sure is my balance is gone. My therapist suggested this as a way to talk to others who are going through this also. Hope to meet you all soon.

Welcome WayneSki! I'm glad you found us. It's the club none of us ever asked or wanted to be a part of but we are now members of and we have each others backs here. The information and assurance you aren't the only one this happened to or is happening to will be very helpful. My disabilities are different than balance although it seems most of us deal with at least some dizziness. As members visit here the next several days you will be hearing from some pretty cool fellow humans who deal with balance and other  similar issues.

Hi Wayne, Nice to meet you. This is a great place. We've all been there or somewhere similar enough to be able to relate. Have a browse through the forums and and blogs and comment on anything that strikes a chord for you. You could also start your own blog or join the daily chat sessions. 

Tell us a bit more about yourself, what things make your balance issues most obvious?, is it particular tasks that you find difficult? Many of us have balance or spatial awareness (proprioception) issues and may be able to share coping strategies.  We'd also like to know more about who you are as a person. We are all more than our strokes and current issues.

I had my stroke nearly 10 years ago now, I had been scuba diving in Scotland and got bent then had a carotid artery dissection when packing equipment after treatment, which was not recognised as a stroke for the first 24 hours, even though I was taken to hospital straight away. So I have a quite large area of dead/scar in my brain and no use of my left arm/hand. but I was able to return to work  and gradually worked my way back to full time.

If you just want to rant we'll listen, but you'll probably also get advice back, we like to feel like we can help a little too.

Hey Wayne-o!

So very glad you found us!

I don't think balance is even a thing, tbh!!

It's terrible your strokes weren't recognised.

Glad you see a therapist.  That is a big positive. 

As Willis and Heather said, we are here for you.

Hi, Wayne. Welcome to Strokenet!  My stroke was 13 yrs. ago, and I've had balance problems for 13 yrs. BUT they're not nearly as bad as they were right after I had my stroke, The 1st year after my stroke, I fell out of 2 different restaurant chairs, out of my wheelchair 3 different times, and out of the passenger seat of my truck once. All of these falls were due to balance issues. Over time, I learned to cope with it better, and the balance issues also got better in time. As I said, I still have balance issues,  but they're much improved. Best,   Becky

Greetings WayneSki from a fellow newb.  Where's home?

Wow.. I once lived in Deland

Florida? You take care, Wayne.

Daytona Beach Florida to be more precise.

In 2000 I was at Disney World and we took a ride over to the speedway. I was into nascar at the time and bought a ticket for the ride along 3 lap deal. I'll never forget it. 

On 5/6/2020 at 5:36 PM, WayneSki said:

Daytona Beach Florida to be more precise.

I was 20 outside down 92. I can remember driving past the race track ,before the  did the upgrades before I moved back to NJ, and  thinking it was huge. But, I was down there in March and HOLY COW. Huge

Welcome Wayne.  Ah Daytona Beach.  I was one of those buses that dumped in on that city during spring break.  Usually during bike week also.