Hello everyone my name is Jon I had  a right side ischemic stroke on 8-1-2018 at 33 I'm now 35 I have been working  very hard on what I call my comeback. I have been walking with no aid for about 4 months now. I try to walk around my block 3 times which equals 1 mile a day my gait is not perfected yet but it's getting closer and closer. I also got my drivers license back  in January and luckily I'm able to work  for my dads construction company.  Working in the office.. not sure what else to say.    I hope to be able to contribute to this great community you have here and learn alot as well. 

Hi, Jon. Welcome to Strokenet! `Sounds like you've made a great recovery so far, and it sounds like you have a lot to share. We have chats, blogs, and here, the Forums whenever you want to share, whatever you want to share.Becky

Nice to meet you Jon, sounds like you are doing well. Good luck on the gait I'm still working on that 10 years post. The main thing is don't give up. I hope you have a PT who is helping you with feedback and exercises to do as well as building stamina with daily walking.

-Heather

Working with a pt is on hold right now as my favorite PT is on maternity leave and  this pandemic has thrown a wrench in  the process of working with another pt for now but I do have excercises  to do and I am seeing progress. I will never give up... it is hard to deal with the pace of  the  recovery being so slow and people around me not understanding how slow the recovery  process is but I am making progress  and I'm confident I will reach my goals.  I've always been a very driven person.  It took a while, but I finally learned to set more realistic goals and   to stop putting a timetable or deadline on reaching certain goals because its discouraging if  I dont hit my goal "on time." 

Hey Jono!!

One thing we have all learnt, as that is realistic goal setting. 

Looking forward to sharing the journey, young fella.

Oh yes to realistic goals and not letting 1 step forward 2 steps back put you off. This thing is so very slow and doesn't improve in a straight line. Get used to marking and celebrating the little steps towards the goal, each one counts even if it feels like they go away as soon as you reach them.

Hi Jon,

I'm working on my comeback too! It's nice to meet you. I just gave up my cane except for long walks and I'm starting over with the distance cane free. I hear you on the gait and your desire to push hard. I hope to catch up to your progress soon!

Margo

17 hours ago, trigdragon said:

Hi Jon,

I'm working on my comeback too! It's nice to meet you. I just gave up my cane except for long walks and I'm starting over with the distance cane free. I hear you on the gait and your desire to push hard. I hope to catch up to your progress soon!

Margo

I'm sure you'll make it I haven't done anything special just hard work and consistency and I still have a long ways to go. sounds like you're doing very well.   

On 5/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jondoty said:

Hello everyone my name is Jon I had  a right side ischemic stroke on 8-1-2018 at 33 I'm now 35 I have been working  very hard on what I call my comeback. I have been walking with no aid for about 4 months now. I try to walk around my block 3 times which equals 1 mile a day my gait is not perfected yet but it's getting closer and closer. I also got my drivers license back  in January and luckily I'm able to work  for my dads construction company.  Working in the office.. not sure what else to say.    I hope to be able to contribute to this great community you have here and learn alot as well. 

Hi Jon.  I , too, was , 34  (*oops year off lol) when I had my stroke. Hearing you are walking around the block without aide is AWESOME. So glad you found us here and being a role model for young(er) stroke survivors

I've never thought of myself as a role model. In fact  I'm usually disappointed with myself thinking I'm not working hard enough no matter how much I do.especially  with my hand not making the progress I  think it shouldbut if I can help  somone in any way  then that's great and im happy to be able to do that. 

Hi Jon, don't beat yourself up about lack of progress, not all progress is visible. This stuff tends to build very slowly and gradually and it feels like nothing is happening then "all of a sudden" you reach a threshold and something works.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:04 PM, Jondoty said:

I've never thought of myself as a role model. In fact  I'm usually disappointed with myself thinking I'm not working hard enough no matter how much I do.especially  with my hand not making the progress I  think it shouldbut if I can help  somone in any way  then that's great and im happy to be able to do that. 

Thank you. I've notice thats how it works but I  apparently needed someone  to point it out to me. 

21 hours ago, heathber said:

Hi Jon, don't beat yourself up about lack of progress, not all progress is visible. This stuff tends to build very slowly and gradually and it feels like nothing is happening then "all of a sudden" you reach a threshold and something works.

Well said!!!!

hi Jon :

welcome to best online stroke support group, I am sorry you had need to find us but now you found us you will never feel alone again. being young stroke survivor has its benefits, you can rebuild your new normal to your  contentment.

now that you found us you will never feel alone or different. I stroked at age 34 which left me paralyzed on my left side & retired me from the job I loved, for me more than stroke retiring from job was big blow to me, I never knew how much of my identity was wrapped in the work I did & money I made, suddenly I felt worthless, luckily having supportive spouse & young kid who was just 7 at the time  & my family, friends & this site, I found my joy back, today after 16 years on this post stroke journey, i realize my life is just different  not good or bad its just different.

I struggled hard to find my new normal after stroke  & even after having supportive spouse  & family, I still felt very lonely & isolated, finding this support group was god-sent to me & it helped me  feel not so alone or weird.

I found blogging on this site & chatting with other survivors very therapeutic for my soul . we do have scheduled chats every day in the afternoon from 3-4 EST in stroke support room #2 & in the evening from 8-9 PM EST on M,W & F. on friday we have chats in the coffeshop in the evening though M,W its in survivor room #2. hope to see you there soon.

& your determination you will be able to build your great new normal, you might achieve things differently than some other people, but important thing is job gets done.

Asha (now 50 year old survivor)

Greetings Jon, from another newb.  Good group here, lots of support.  Finding we all have different impacts, but a share a common bond.  Like Asha said above, chat room time is great community.

Hi and welcome don't you just love this place I've been coming back for years now so many wonderful people and wonderful topic no misinformation boy if something's weird on here everybody jumps on it and so this is a great group to get really accurate information. I also had an ischemic stroke but mine was in the midbrain and it affected my balance I to walk but with the aid of a walker and I sort of blabber on about that stuff so that's all I'll say except that I was what was I how old was I 6 years ago when I had my stroke anyway I was under 50 so let's just leave it at that I tend to not really remember my birthday after 25 LOL so I get a lot of comments on oh you look so young especially since now I live in a nursing home and people are often amazed that anyone can get a stroke at any age so it really bugs me when people talk about oh you're so young I hope that you don't also get that anyway welcome and enjoy.

I used to love to be on the chat room but since now I only use my mobile and it's an Android does anybody know how to get in a chat room from this send me a private note

Hi Jon

Welcome.  I'd like to repeat what others have said -- give yourself time, celebrate every little win, don't stress about anything that appears to be going backwards.  Keeping peace of mind is important, and the gains come back.

I find that when I get tired things fall apart, physically, cognitively and emotionally.  After some rest, some exercise, and some time, things improve again.