Hi my name is Greg and I had a vertebral artery disection 0n 1/31/2020,which caused a stroke.My biggest worry right now is I lost the left artery,no blood flow, did not reopen.Anyone else loose a artery?Is my lifespan cut way down,52 right now.Hoping to here something positive.

Thanks

Hi Greg, don't know about vertebral artery but I no longer have a right carotid artery (same circumstances as you), and it is not a problem. I did stress about it at first too. My docs said there are 4 arteries that feed into a ring structure that supports the brain blood flow, having one of the major ones gone will be fine most of the time. and in fact when we did an MRI a couple of years after the artery closed you can see that the other blood vessels have adapted and enlarged to compensate. I have also had a couple of significant surgeries since and the neuro said just make sure your surgeon knows and that you'll be more at risk than others if there's loss of blood volume.  And I proved that last year when I had a slow leaking internal wound after one minor op. and started having syncopy (fainting) episodes in the hospital, way to make the whole staff come running 🙂 Overall and in day to day life it is not a problem, and will not significantly affect you, compared to hemiparesis and stroke fatigue it's nothing. keep yourself generally fit and active and you'll be able to ignore it.

-Heather

Thanks heather,Just so much worry since janaury.I have heard people people being born without one,or a 1/3 that have had vads they heal shut.

Hi Greg worry doesn't change anything except your peace of mind. One of the big things that many stroke survivors swear by is the serenity prayer. 

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;

In short form. Change the things you can change and accept the things you can't. Which means don't worry at them.

Also keep in mind that stroke can do some nasty things to your brain and some anxiety and depression may be part of your deficits, not just a reasonable reaction to your changed life.  Be kind to yourself and don't be afraid to ask your doctor for help. 

I had a vertebral dissection following a neck manipulation. I know what caused my stroke so I can't imagine. I have a stent in there now. The body is a wonderful vessel.  Don't stop understanding you'll be alright

Hi Greg,

I have no answer to your but I'm glad you found is for support. I'm the same age as you.

Margo

Hi Greg;  I also had a vertebral dissection.  That artery is prey much closed off, apparently a small amount of blood still gets through, but not enough to make a difference.  The neurologist at the time would have been happier if the dissection was entirely closed off, to minims the chance of more clots breaking free (no moving blood to take them anywhere).

The two vertebral and the two carotids feel into the circle of willis , which loops around the base of the brain and feeds a bunch of other arteries that feel the brain.  Apparently, losing any one of them is no biggie.  I've been going without one of my vertebral for over four years now (if my arithmetic is correct :-)).  I run with no circulatory side-effects (although not long distances any more) . 

So don't worry about the artery.  Just look after the rest of your health.  Your lifespan will probably depend more on lifestyle (food, exercise, sleep) than anything else.

Oh, and good to meet you 🙂

On 5/9/2020 at 2:15 PM, GREGS said:

Hi my name is Greg and I had a vertebral artery disection 0n 1/31/2020,which caused a stroke.My biggest worry right now is I lost the left artery,no blood flow, did not reopen.Anyone else loose a artery?Is my lifespan cut way down,52 right now.Hoping to here something positive.

Thanks

Greg, I had surgery to repair a ruptured aneurysm in the left vertebral artery, and in my discharge paperwork it is noted that they "sacrificed" the parent artery. I would guess that this is what you're describing as having no blood flow in that vessel. I was told by my neurosurgeon that my brain would try and build new pathways to compensate and that I probably wouldn't notice any specific deficiencies. However, the stroke that followed from the aneurysm and surgery would overshadow that in itself because of all the deficits resulting from the stroke, as with many here deal with. I however wasn't told that there would be any lifespan change. Though I'd suspect that in many other ways my lifespan could be shortened by falls from my balance issues and other difficulties just dealing with the hardships caused from stroke. I'm 13yrs post stroke btw, and likely reached a plateau in my recovery physically. Being 68yrs old now also has it's challenges too, but all in all, I'm good for what it's worth and satisfied with many physical accomplishments post stroke. It has it's challenges but also rewards, never ever give up..despite what many along the way told me to settle for expected outcomes. I've superseded those expectations and always set new goals. You can achieve anything you set your mind to, keep on keeping on! 

I wish you well in your recovery, and be encouraged at your achievements along the way. Today's a good day to be alive!

A copy of the text from my hospitals discharge paperwork...p3899778692-3.jpg 

Thanks for the response everyone,feel a little better knowing I am not alone.Will be spending time on this site learning and listening.Life sure does change in a split second.