Twice now I've  pushed hard exercising and ended up running a fever later in the evening. Some tylenol and rest fixes me up but it's very annoying.  Has anyone one else run into this?

Hi Jon, haven't had that specifically but it makes sense. When you exercise hard, you actually breakdown muscle so that when it repairs it is stronger.  This process creates waste that the body and brain have to clean up. Before your stroke when you did this the same thing happened but you didn't really notice it, your brain and body were both able to do more things at once. One of the things that happens with a stroke is destruction of white matter in the brain which they don't completely understand yet. But the consensus is that the white matter does more than just buffer the grey matter (which is where your motor control and other conscious functions come from).  It appears to have some pretty key role to play in autonomic functions such as temperature control, lymphatic regulation and immune system function.  Both the lymphatic system and immune system are important in cleaning up after exercise  So running a slight temp after exercise is not something to be very concerned about. However it is an indication that you are stressing your system more than it can really cope with. It is important to listen when your brain/body tries to tell you things like this.  As my physio puts it pushing your limits is good but be aware of the consequences and one of those is that when you've done too much other systems will fail and that puts your continued progress at risk.  So long as the consequences are only within the same day go for it. But if you are not 100% the next morning you need to back off and give the brain/body time to recover fully before the next push.

One of the most annoying things for me is that I cannot ramp my exercise the way I used to and I need much longer recovery windows between ramping.  Where the rest of my gym uses a 12 week cycle with a 1 week testing/recovery window, my trainer and I work on a 3 week cycle with a 2 week window.  And I still have to be careful about how my exercise schedule affects my day to day functioning.

Take care and all the best with finding the pattern that works for you.

-Heather

Pushing too hard is something we don't tend to notice until its happened. 

Hope you are able to work out a routine that invigorates you but doesn't fatigue. 

💚