ebjb

I'm a Newbie Stroke Survivor !

Greetings from Bonnie Scotland !  I had a small stroke on 6th June this year. I was in hospital for 4 days. I am very fortunate to not have been left with any disabilities. However I have had a headache since I came home from hospital and walking very slowly . Wondering if this is a side effect of medication I am on - Apixaban 5 mg twice daily and Atorvastatin 40 mg once daily. My cholesterol was only 3.7  - I had been on simvastatin 10 mg prior to having the stroke so seems quite a jump to 40 mg of Atorvastatin. I suffer from  Atrial Fibrillation which was the cause of the stroke. .... Thank  you Moderator for hopefully approving my post. 

Pleasure to meed you. I'm very glad that you were able to only have any problems. I'm not aware of the medicine that you're on but if you are still having these headaches, I'd contact your physician  🙂

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would definitely agree with Kelli, see your doctor and explain these headaches. Heavens, I'm 13yrs post stroke and I had headaches before the stroke and still having them currently. There are so many things that could be causing them to include even stress, so a doctor needs to know...and welcome to the stroke board!

Thank you for your welcome messages. Yes I guess I will have to see my doctor about my headaches . I really don’t feel very well ... I will come back on and let you know how things go. I am so glad I found this forum. Thank you again for your welcome messages. 

Elsa, Welcome to the club, We don.t have any active members from your part of the world although a few of us here are ex Brits. I moved to New Zealand and we have others who are now in Switzerland and even USA. I cant give any explanation for your headaches but sympathise with you. Surprisingly enough I've had none since my stroke but had them regularly before. There is no telling of the range of problems one can inherit after one!

Look forward to hearing  more from you.

Deigh

21 hours ago, ebjb said:

I really don’t feel very well ...

A lot of causes of headaches , especially after a TIA or mini stroke, is stress. Try not to get to upset about it until you talk to your doctor. I can speak for myself that after my stroke I was so paranoid about ANYTHING I thought could be a 'something'. 

Welcome EJBJ  Just went by 6 year anniversary.  Think (and that's not too trustworthy) I have less headaches.  Stress causes mine.  Stroke has alleviated some of the stress for me but also brought on new stressors.

Welcome again.

Hi  Everyone, Thank you to all who replied to my post about headaches after my stroke.  I had a really serious episode of atrial fibrillation last night and this morning so went to see my doctor. My pulse was 140 and my blood pressure high. I have had a pulse rate much higher than this with previous episodes of A F  but I really felt very unwell and my head felt like it was going to burst open. I have been on Flecainide 150 mg twice daily and Bisoprolol 2.5mg for many years to help control my AF. Doctor said she thinks my headaches are being caused by being in AF . She has increased my Bisoprolol to 5mg and I have to phone on Friday to see if this has helped me. Thanks again to you all for your input.  

ebjb

After stroke and heart surgery, I also ended up with Afib.  I had many side effects. from the Flecainide,  Amiodorone etc. but; headaches were not part of it.  I would suspect your medication; but, that's just because of my personal experience.  Hopefully the medic wil be able to pin it down.  Good Luck.  James

hi ebjb :

welcome to best online stroke support group, I am sorry you had need to find us but now you found us you will never feel alone again.

now that you found us you will never feel alone or different. I stroked at age 34 which left me paralyzed on my left side & retired me from the job I loved, for me more than stroke retiring from job was big blow to me, I never knew how much of my identity was wrapped in the work I did & money I made, suddenly I felt worthless, luckily having supportive spouse & young kid who was just 7 at the time  & my family, friends & this site, I found my joy back, today after 16 years on this post stroke journey, i realize my life is just different  not good or bad its just different.

I struggled hard to find my new normal after stroke  & even after having supportive spouse  & family, I still felt very lonely & isolated, finding this support group was god-sent to me & it helped me  feel not so alone or weird.

I found blogging on this site & chatting with other survivors very therapeutic for my soul . we do have scheduled chats every day in the afternoon from 3-4 EST in stroke support room #2 & in the evening from 8-9 PM EST on M,W & F. on friday we have chats in the coffeshop in the evening though M,W its in survivor room #2. hope to see you there soon.

Asha

Watch your salt, caffeine, you know , all the causes for your heart to go fast. I had SVT ( Supraventricular tachycardia) that would cause my heart to race to 140-160 ( oops edited.. 220-260 BpM) 

on a finger snap. It was an electrical error that after surgery, fixed. I still get flutters but it is scary. It's exhausting for sure. It as explained to me it's like running a marathon  without moving and yes headaches. You hear is beating so fast that the blood is trying to get to your brain fast and with heavy breathing, Scary.

I'm sorry you are going through this

Oh my gosh! Elsa!

I hope you are going ok now!

💚