"spasticity is not my friend, but we ''re tight."

I went to see an orthopedic  surgeon about my neck which is painful every day and night.

They told me my left side hemiparesis is the cause and set me up for dry needling on the neck muscles

going this morning to see what happens.

In the meantime, I read some recent,very recent studies on Trans cranial magnetic stimulation, which have shown great improvement in stroke survivors even after ten years.

I found a clinic that does this, but it is in Colorado,  and you have to go there for minimum of ten days. I cant do that,so I called a local Doctor who uses this treatment for depression, which it is known to work for , and they agreed to see me for 30 daily sessions.I am always wiling to try different therapies. So I expect to begin the TMS soon. Since we are moving in a few days, this will wait until that is done. I look forward to another shot at overall improvement.Happy day,all.

"Hi Alan sore neck muscles come with a "heavy/dead" arm unfortunately.  It's one reason I see my neuro physio regularly. A warm wheat bag around the neck when watching tv etc. and trunk stretches help.  A trigger point ball on the scapular muscles also helps.  I find the tightness in the shoulder and neck will migrate all the way down my left side if ignored so that it affects my hip and glute (walking) function as well.

I was a guinea pig in a TMS trial a couple of years back. I've no idea if I got the placebo or real thing, and the improvement I saw could just as easily have been from the extra hand and arm therapy that was a part of the trial, than from the TMS itself.  I never saw the paper or results from from the trial, unfortunately.  But I think it helped at least short term, and I'd be happy to do a course of treatment with it. The study I did had us doing exercises with the TMS active, so try to make your TMS sessions active.

Good luck and keep us posted on results.

Looking forward to hearing more about the results of the treatment Alan. Also on the treatment itself, it is a complete mystery to me.

Deigh

Hi Deigh in Trans Cranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) they create an electromagnetic field over your brain at the same time as you do your exercises. It's a bit like using a TENS to create muscle contractions that you work with, the theory is the magnetic field makes it easier for your brain to create its own electric impulses, so it can strengthen the signals your brain sends to the muscles. It's a really weird sensation.  But as I said before I don't know if I was in the placebo or real treatment group. 

Awesome Alan! So glad your doc has come to the party!

💚

in the meantime doc sent me for for dry needling in the neck,it helped loosen it for about a week or so, then it tightened again, but another treatment is needed, I am also seeing about using it on my leg and arm.still waiting on tms to set me up.

yep that sounds about normal. it takes several treatments for the muscles to "learn" that they don't need to be so "scared"  But even then as life happens it will tighten again and you'll need either needle work or some other form of muscle release fairly regularly. The needles are great when it gets really bad or you don't have the time for a full manual treatment.