Are you all taking care of yourselves?

swilkinson

I know here in Australia the news seems always about the virus, the risks, the restrictions and little else so we are all worried. But alongside of that we still need to take care of the everyday chores in our lives and somehow keep cheerful and hopeful. Some days I am great at this and some days I am blah!!! So how are you today?

I'm all over the place.  One of the joys of memory impairment is that some of the time I forget about COVID-19, and things feel normal (well, as normal as they have been since my stroke).  My generalized anxiety has gone sky-high.

I often feel gloom and despair about the present and the future; keep wondering what is going to happen to family, friends and the population generally before the is an effective vaccine.  My youngest is due to go back to school soon, and I am scared witless about what might happen, both to him and to the rest of the family.

And of course there is still the usual depression when I run into the brick wall of the brain damage, which seems to be happening regularly.

I'd love to be positive, but ...

Boy do I understand trying to be normal, I'm surprised I don't drink, maybe I should start :cheers:

Several of my friends have put on a lot of of weight, not good for their health but understandable during this period when we are all supposed to stay home and food of the wrong kind is so temptingly close at hand. Early in the shut down period I saw a lot of people walking dogs but the cold wet days have put a lid on that. All we can do is be sensible about what we eat and try to find some way of exercising. Bah humbug!

I think it is starting to become evident that  Covid is not a dash but is instead, a marathon.  I don't expect much change for another year.  And then, it won't be going back to the old "normal", but instead to some kind of "new normal".  I'm coming up on my 80th year and it doesn't seem I'll ever see the end of Covid.  With the stroke, heart surgery, and a few other ailments, I do wear a mask.  You folks - keep yourselves safe.

Got a newsletter from the church last week to say we had to wear face masks this week. I duly bought some, probably made in China, put one on to go to church and immediately one of the straps broke! Happily I have plenty of elastic so without touching the front of the mask I fixed it up. I got to church only to find less than half of the congregation wearing a mask. There must have been a letter telling us that due to poor availability it had been decided to postpone mask wearing to next week. I guess you could call what I did a trial run!

Sue masks are the new toilet paper!

Today, I'm great!!

I generally don't shout this from the rooftops, but it's my birthday.  I'm 48.

I've had a lovely day, Wayne had the day off so we went to church then went out for lunch.

Western Australia currently has 1 covid19 case, in Perth, so life is quite normal at the moment. 

Paul I really feel for you with sending your child to school. Not an easy decision at all.

Heather I'm very worried for you, please be extra vigilant. 

Sue New South is a worry as well. Not only for covid19 but the weather.  Is that your area?

💚

Happy Birthday Janelle!

Our weather is just cold wet and miserable. No Covid on the Central Coast, a few cases in Sydney and a couple in Newcastle. We are urged to wear masks when out and some of my older friends are only leaving home to shop. This seems to add more  dullness to winter than usual. Roll on Spring!

HI Janelle No real need to worry about me. The active cases are mostly in the outer western suburbs well outside my allowed 5km bubble. The more strict lockdown has closed the hospital outpatients rehab this time, which is hard as now the only person I see is my cleaner when he comes in once a week (that's allowed for me because I'm disabled).  Most people here are behaving re masks, although when I go for my walk I usually see 1 or 2 people with their mask not covering their nose. I only leave the apartment for my daily walk and to do the shopping.

I like to think I am. I spend a portion of my morning watching 'Would I lie to you" on BBC ( youtube) and the ones with Bob Mortimer .

Mark, no beating yourself up, we have a new start every day so use tomorrow to get back on track. I've had a few don't want to get out of bed days in the past couple of months. With my routine gone I feel my life is boring, with winter here life is dull, so I tell myself but it is up to me to make my own day go well, not to waste the day. Give yourself a pep talk. Works for me most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

One new case of Covid on our part of the Cosst, one of the thousands of people who commute  to Sydney each day. No panic, just one case right? Spring just around the corner so spending more time outside, gardening mostly. Lovely end of winter sunshine lightened my mood the past few days. So this may end my winter blues and I may start feeling better about life now.

Hey Sue.

Big hugs.

Being out of your normal routine cannot be easy, hopefully the onset of spring will make things better for you.

💚👑

Another month has gone by since I posted this. Are you all okay? Some, well most, of my friends are really finding things harder now. It is on the verge of Spring here and they are used to making plans and going here, there and everywhere and with our State borders closed we just can't take off to visit friends near and far so what CAN we do?

Not seeing family and friends was the hardest thing for me during our short lockdown. 

I didn't feel isolated though,  as there's four of us plus 7 pets! Then 11 aquariums. 

I missed church, but as I stay home a fair bit and make cards etc, not a great deal changed.

I think that's why so many of us here in the West are so complacent.  Yesterday there were two cases in the whole state. We aren't really living with Rona. 

💚👑

Edited by GreenQueen
I cannot spele 🤣🤣

Hi Sue yes it's getting harder, Fingers and toes crossed we will be getting out of stage 4 lockdown soon. Although with numbers still in double digits each day I'm trying to tell myself it won't be long, when I know it could easily be another month. My compassion/patience for people who don't follow the rules is very much gone.  I feel like the kid in after school detention because the rest of the class was rowdy.  And the rest of the class isn't even close enough that I can beat them up tomorrow. 🙂  The idiots who held/went to those anti lockdown rallies yesterday better get the book thrown at them.

On the bright side a friend posted this to my facebook after I complained about people who don't wear masks properly, made me giggle

118726549_10159289398483690_386237790845

Heather that's slightly wicked!! But true!!

Mark, I'm with you on the routine side of things.  I go great guns, then once a month when Wayne does night shift on the weekend and we keep quiet during the day, so he can sleep.  Routine out the window!

Keep at it!

💚👑

Heather the cartoon is the perfect analogy for face masks.

I think if anyone is offended it means they aren't wearing their face mask properly!

💚👑

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 8:28 PM, heathber said:

I do hope no one is offended by that cartoon, but it does help you keep calm when you pass them in the street. Like the public speaking thing of imagine your audience is naked, to decrease your anxiety.

it was great! I saw this posted about anti-maskers. "I hate wearing clothes but I do it to protect you."

• ksmith pinned this topic